• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flo's getting spayed next Wednesday morning

Swiss Fox

New Kit
And I'm so worried.

I know it has to be done, I know I'm doing the right thing. I know the risks... but I can't help but feel I'm responsible if anything goes wrong.

She's a 6 months old house rabbit and she's starting to be a bit of a *****, starting to mark and nest, so it has to be done but I'm just so scared she won't wake up.

If anyone can slap me around the face or throw some cold water on it, it'll be appreciated.

And I'm so worried.

I know it has to be done, I know I'm doing the right thing. I know the risks... but I can't help but feel I'm responsible if anything goes wrong.

She's a 6 months old house rabbit and she's starting to be a bit of a *****, starting to mark and nest, so it has to be done but I'm just so scared she won't wake up.

If anyone can slap me around the face or throw some cold water on it, it'll be appreciated.

Despite having over 120 Rabbits go through a neuter over the years I still get myself wound up into a state of anxiety every time !! Of course we know that neutering a Doe is certainly one of the best things we can do for her in terms of her longterm health and wellbeing, but that doesn't mean that we dont worry and go over all the 'what ifs'.

In the care of a Rabbit Savvy Vet a spay carries far less risk than does leaving a Doe entire. Doing the latter carries an 80% risk of the Doe's life expectancy being halved due to her developing Uterine Adenocarcinoma

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

I do not have any stats for the risks of a routine Spay, but I would be astounded if the % was in double figures.

So dont beat yourself up about how nervous you are for Flo. The risks associated with the spay are very small in comparison to the risks of uterine cancer in later life. Also, spaying her will greatly improve her quality of life as she will not remain such a slave to her hormones. It would be miserable for her to have an ongoing drive to mate and reproduce and for her never to be able to do so.

Sending lots of vibes for Flo and some calming vibes for you ! x

And I'm so worried.

Aww it's perfectly natural to be nervous of any GA and procedure with our little ones. We have to sign a consent form after all, and that's scary enough!

I've lived through hundreds of rabbit spays in my time through rescue and foster, and earlier this year when I took another doe in for her spay I was still equally as nervous.

For me the secret is to be really confident in the vet I've chosen to do the job. I always make sure on the morning itself that it will be the person I want. Then I know I've done all I can.

have a heat pad/source of heat for when she comes home. She won't be able to regulate her own temperature very well and may get cold. Also have some tasty titbits of herbs or leaves for her ..

And breathe xx

My Flo was the same, lots of hormones and she was fairly aggressive! After spaying and TLC now a lovely bun.
Just find a vet who you have confidence in and are good with rabbits. Let us know how she gets on! :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it has helped.

I know I'm doing the best I can and what will be will be... but can't help worrying about her.

I wouldn't trust the first vet we took her to but our new one seems very knowledgeable (although they hadn't heard of VHD2) and, when I booked the appointment, the receptionist said they'd spayed two does in the past two weeks so I'm (reasonably!) confident they know what they're doing.

I know I'm doing the best I can and what will be will be... but can't help worrying about her.

I wouldn't trust the first vet we took her to but our new one seems very knowledgeable (although they hadn't heard of VHD2) and, when I booked the appointment, the receptionist said they'd spayed two does in the past two weeks so I'm (reasonably!) confident they know what they're doing.

This is a good guide to choosing a 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/vets.htm

If it's any consolation, my rabbit savvy vets said for months that they couldn't get the vaccine as it wasn't licensed for rabbits :roll: It was only my persistence that encouraged them to keep on until finally it happened.

I'm glad you've found a good vet. If they've spayed two does in the past two weeks then it's a good sign :D

Our vet talked us through the procedure (and upsold "blood" and "fluids" as individual £60 after care options) but were great.

Free post op follow up inspection 2 days later and free after care for 2 weeks.

Flo's stitches are fine, she hasn't picked at them at all and she's doing well.

She has taken to weeing on my chair when I'm at work but I'm hoping that'll stop when her hormones settle down.

Apart from that, she's totally fine.

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support... I was really worried about her!

Our vet talked us through the procedure (and upsold "blood" and "fluids" as individual £60 after care options) but were great.

Free post op follow up inspection 2 days later and free after care for 2 weeks.

Flo's stitches are fine, she hasn't picked at them at all and she's doing well.

She has taken to weeing on my chair when I'm at work but I'm hoping that'll stop when her hormones settle down.

Apart from that, she's totally fine.

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support... I was really worried about her!

So glad to hear all went well Swiss Fox :D

Back