• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loxicom

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hey All, Lady Blue was given Loxicom along with baytril on her visit last week.
Normally I just used the Baytril up then return to the vets, because of the temp guy and his poor English, I'm unsure whether to do the same for the Loxicom? The label says 7 days... Do I continue with it (is it safe to do so) for longer than a week and then return when her baytril is empty or stop at a week, continue with baytril and then go back to vets... Im so unsure right now.. :/

It doesn't seem to have made any difference to her breathing.. She is however now bunging up on both sides of her nose instead of just the right hand side (good? More virus being flushed??) however not much in the left nostril, just a little snot, right one still fully bungs in the morning.
She is still sneezing out big blobs of snot which I quickly grab before she eats... (yuk!)
She's still nomming, drinking.. (She still does the weird retch noise once in a while when drinking from her bowl) and ofc she's still pooping :)

Hey All, Lady Blue was given Loxicom along with baytril on her visit last week.
Normally I just used the Baytril up then return to the vets, because of the temp guy and his poor English, I'm unsure whether to do the same for the Loxicom? The label says 7 days... Do I continue with it (is it safe to do so) for longer than a week and then return when her baytril is empty or stop at a week, continue with baytril and then go back to vets... Im so unsure right now.. :/

It doesn't seem to have made any difference to her breathing.. She is however now bunging up on both sides of her nose instead of just the right hand side (good? More virus being flushed??) however not much in the left nostril, just a little snot, right one still fully bungs in the morning.
She is still sneezing out big blobs of snot which I quickly grab before she eats... (yuk!)
She's still nomming, drinking.. (She still does the weird retch noise once in a while when drinking from her bowl) and ofc she's still pooping :)

Oh dear, shame about the snot .. Is the vet thinking of moving her onto injectable penicillin?

Why is she taking the Loxicom? It certainly doesn't hurt to take it for longer than a week - some bunnies are on it indefinitely for pain and inflammation. So guess it's up to you whether you feel she's in pain, or needs it to dampen down the inflammation (if that's what the vet prescribed it for)

I'm really glad she's still well with herself though ..... Not sure I've been much help here Sharpie?

Oh dear, shame about the snot .. Is the vet thinking of moving her onto injectable penicillin?

Why is she taking the Loxicom? It certainly doesn't hurt to take it for longer than a week - some bunnies are on it indefinitely for pain and inflammation. So guess it's up to you whether you feel she's in pain, or needs it to dampen down the inflammation (if that's what the vet prescribed it for)

I'm really glad she's still well with herself though ..... Not sure I've been much help here Sharpie?

He put her on Loxicom to help with the abcess on her jaw apparently? He said it would make it smaller and thus stop the puss leaking into her lungs causing the snot?
I hope not, I can't deal with needles :/ My normal vet wanted her on tablets but she wouldn't take them, so he said there's no other option bar baytril for her :/

He put her on Loxicom to help with the abcess on her jaw apparently? He said it would make it smaller and thus stop the puss leaking into her lungs causing the snot?
I hope not, I can't deal with needles :/ My normal vet wanted her on tablets but she wouldn't take them, so he said there's no other option bar baytril for her :/

Ah OK, I remember now :) Yes I found that rather odd .. and I still do, tbh. I probably said this before, but have you thought of finding another vet?

Ah OK, I remember now :) Yes I found that rather odd .. and I still do, tbh. I probably said this before, but have you thought of finding another vet?

That was the awful temp guy that said that, I'll be seeing my normal vet next time :)
My normal guy said it's a chronic irritation but last time I saw him he did say she was getting better as she was no longer breathing with all her torso and he could hear it was moving out of her chest area, so hopefully when I see him again he'll say it's now just in her nose!

That was the awful temp guy that said that, I'll be seeing my normal vet next time :)
My normal guy said it's a chronic irritation but last time I saw him he did say she was getting better as she was no longer breathing with all her torso and he could hear it was moving out of her chest area, so hopefully when I see him again he'll say it's now just in her nose!

Ah great .. so long as you've someone you trust.

I wish these bunnies would just have a pop up sign on them that tells us what's wrong and we can supply the medication :)

Ah great .. so long as you've someone you trust.

I wish these bunnies would just have a pop up sign on them that tells us what's wrong and we can supply the medication :)

Yeh or if they could simple speak to us lol!
I wish I could just click my fingers and she be well again, I would gladly take the illness for her! Hate seeing her all snotty :(

Back