• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Callum

Dorothy

Alpha Buck
Thought I would also tell Callum's story as he is also typical of how a bunny ends up in rescue.

A few months ago when we had that awfull stormy wet weather, I recieved a phone call from a friend who had heard of a bunny that was about to be released as it had bitten a child. I had reached my limit of 20 bunnies so gave her numbers of other rescues, sanctuaries to try. Unfortunately all are full round here and they don't often go out to get a bunny and the family refused to take the time to drive him anywhere.
I deliberated about it as I had to do a shift around and am trying to be sensible and not take on too much, it is so hard to turn bunnies down but I had already turned down a lot this year and sent people off to other rescues.
This bunny seemed different and the family were determinded to release him that night. He had been shut in his run for 3 days and nights in heavy
rain with no protection and no food other than the grass. The family claimed they were too frightened to go near him. I decided to take him.
When I arrived the family told me he had been an Easter present last year and how they had loooked after him well and now he had bitten them. The father showed me his badly bitten finger, I gave him no sympathy, just told him some bunnies can do this. It can be caused by the way children handle them or perhaps behavioural problems caused by bad breeding. They refused to get him for me, said there was no way they would go near him. They couldn't believe that I picked him up first time and hugged him. As I left the wife very sarcasticaly shouted "Boohoo the bunny's going, I'll miss him, Ha Ha"!! I made sure they handed over everything that belonged to him as they were not willing to give a donation.
I called him Callum 'Cal' for short. He has tooth problems and will need regular burring. He has also had stassis on 2 ocassions since I got him, so I have to watch his diet and make sure he has plenty of excercise. At first he was very well behaved but then I discovered he is a closit psycho bunny. Every now and then without warning he lunges and sinks in his teeth and refuses to let go until he's ready, bless him. He is a lovely soft beige with helecopter ears. Looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth :wink: .

*looks for praying hands emoticon...............but can't find one :roll: *

*ahem, cough* Dear God, thank you for sending Dorothy to this world, she's doing a grand job and you should be really proud of her. Amen.

Oh and P.S., could you maybe arrange for her to win the lottery and if not can you arrange for 'Elastoplast' to send her loads of plasters.

Even when an animal bites you there's no reason to treat the poor thing like that :( . Callum sounds a bit mental, it's lucky he's found someone like you who will give him a chance!

Seconded on the prayer to Elastoplast :lol:

Poor little darlin, glad you rescued him :thumb: ......... even though he had sharp toothy pegs :wink:

Awww poor Callum. What a life some bunnies suffer. Maybe he is just a little nervous and every now and then it builds up and is released as a lunge and bite? I know Sooty seems nervous and he lunges at me thankfully he doesn't bite, mind you an ickle Nethie can't do much damage lol.

Angela

Back