• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nodular Myxi

Bird234

Young Bun
Hi all!
New to this forum but would like some advice if anyone can help!

On Sunday we noticed that my 4 year old mini lop Rolo has red eyes, he looked like he had just woken up but I insisted we take him to the vets as myxi was my main concern.
The vets stayed open for us, Which was so nice of them and I am so thankful.

However, she couldn't diagnose myxi completely and said she thinks it could be bites from mosquitos or mites. ( with only a few very small nodules on eyes, ears and lip. No swollen genitals) She injected him with some anti inflammatory, fever relief and antibiotics - not sure on which specifically. She then said to keep our eye on him as he could deteriorate within 48 hours.
My heart sank and I just cried! I don't want to lose Rolo.

Another problem that could kick this off; I didn't get him vaccinated against Myxi, god knows why not,
All my other rabbits (in previous years) I've had vaccinated, not sure if I just presumed he had been but I'm kicking myself for it now BIG TIME. I've cried buckets of tears so far 😭

So 3 days after the vet visit, I've noticed more nodules coming all over his body especially in his ears and around them. What can we do to help him? Do we sit it out and wait? He just seems sad, and wants to go outside but we've been advised to keep him indoors, so he's got the full spare room to himself to wander! He's happily still eating drinking and pooing,which the vet said watch for changes in.. but nothing. How do I help Rolo, and make the nodules go down? I can't bare to sit and watch him so sad!!!

We just keep petting him and telling him he'll be okay! I'm just wanting some help/advice.
Do I get antibiotics off the vet?
I'm just assuming it's nodular as no signs of discomfort in breathing? Although his eyes are heavy?

Please help! I'all appreaciate any feedback given!!

Thanks
Zoë

Last edited:
Hi all!
New to this forum but would like some advice if anyone can help!

On Sunday we noticed that my 4 year old mini lop Rolo has red eyes, he looked like he had just woken up but I insisted we take him to the vets as myxi was my main concern.
The vets stayed open for us, Which was so nice of them and I am so thankful.

However, she couldn't diagnose myxi completely and said she thinks it could be bites from mosquitos or mites. ( with only a few very small nodules on eyes, ears and lip. No swollen genitals) She injected him with some anti inflammatory, fever relief and antibiotics - not sure on which specifically. She then said to keep our eye on him as he could deteriorate within 48 hours.
My heart sank and I just cried! I don't want to lose Rolo.

Another problem that could kick this off; I didn't get him vaccinated against Myxi, god knows why not,
All my other rabbits (in previous years) I've had vaccinated, not sure if I just presumed he had been but I'm kicking myself for it now BIG TIME. I've cried buckets of tears so far 😭

So 3 days after the vet visit, I've noticed more nodules coming all over his body especially in his ears and around them. What can we do to help him? Do we sit it out and wait? He just seems sad, and wants to go outside but we've been advised to keep him indoors, so he's got the full spare room to himself to wander! He's happily still eating drinking and pooing,which the vet said watch for changes in.. but nothing. How do I help Rolo, and make the nodules go down? I can't bare to sit and watch him so sad!!!

We just keep petting him and telling him he'll be okay! I'm just wanting some help/advice.
Do I get antibiotics off the vet?
I'm just assuming it's nodular as no signs of discomfort in breathing? Although his eyes are heavy?

Please help! I'all appreaciate any feedback given!!

Thanks
Zoë

Hello

I am very sorry to hear that Rolo has Myxomatosis. It is absolutely essential that he receives antibotic cover as it is not the Myxoma Virus itself than causes fatalities, it is secondary bacterial infection that does that. Usually a pneumonia. So in the first instance I'd consult a very Rabbit Savvy Vet this morning and request that Rolo receives ongoing antibiotics, anti-inflammatory analgesia and if necessary eye drops to treat the inflammation and infection there. Treament is likely to be needed for at least 3 weeks, probably longer as secondary bacterial infections can kick in even 20 days after clinical symptoms of myxomatosis occur.

I am sure that you know that Rolo does have a big fight on his paws. A few unvaccinated Rabbits may be able to survive Myxomatosis, but I think I would be doing you no favours by trying to pretend that the prognosis is good. You will need to take things one day at a time. Keeping Rolo eating and well hydrated is essential. Gut stasis is another potential secondary problem. Sometimes prokinetic medication may be needed aswell as the other drugs. The chances of surviving Myxomatosis may be increased if the Rabbit is housed in a warm environment, so keeping Rolo indoors is probably in his best interests.

This link provides detailed information

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/viral/Myxomatosis.htm

I really hope that Rolo can pull through. Do post again and we will try to continue to offer you as much help and support as possible. Most of us wont judge you about the Vaccination issues. None of us are perfect and we make mistakes. I know I have made many in the years I have cared for Rabbits. The important thing to focus on now is trying to help Rolo with his battle to recover and most of us here will try to help you do that xx

Hi,

I have rang the vets this morning, seems not to want to issue any medication for Rolo, which deeply upsets me! She said it's a long process and should be PTS when showing signs of suffering.
In my eyes, I'd like to help Rolo as much as I can. She's asked me to print off my research as to Metacam/Antibiotics and Anti-Inflamatory and bring them in before seeing Rolo. So I'm completing this and going to take it tonight after work if I can!

I'll keep you all updated on the outcome!

Zoë & Rolo xx

Hi,

I have rang the vets this morning, seems not to want to issue any medication for Rolo, which deeply upsets me! She said it's a long process and should be PTS when showing signs of suffering.
In my eyes, I'd like to help Rolo as much as I can. She's asked me to print off my research as to Metacam/Antibiotics and Anti-Inflamatory and bring them in before seeing Rolo. So I'm completing this and going to take it tonight after work if I can!

I'll keep you all updated on the outcome!

Zoë & Rolo xx

I assume that you are mainland UK ?

Hi,

Yes I'm Mainland UK x

I am just wondering if your Vet is 'Rabbit Savvy' ? Whilst small animal Veterinary Practices may be great with treating Dogs and Cats they may have less knowledge of treating Rabbits, especially in such a challenging case of Myxomatosis. If you do think that consulting a more experienced Vet would be a good idea then if you could let us know your approximate geographical location we may be able to recommend a Rabbit Savvy Vet in your area.

Hi,

Yes I'm Mainland UK x

I would start another thread asap with the title "Rabbit Savvy Vet needed urgently in .. (your location)"

You need to get Rolo onto antibiotics, as the real danger with nodular myxi is the secondary bacterial infection.

Wishing you loads of luck xx

I would start another thread asap with the title "Rabbit Savvy Vet needed urgently in .. (your location)"

You need to get Rolo onto antibiotics, as the real danger with nodular myxi is the secondary bacterial infection.

Wishing you loads of luck xx

Hi,
Thanks for that, I will start a new thread but I am going to go to the vets tomorrow to push for antibiotics and if to no avail I will seek further. I am from Wigan.

The fact he's still eating and drinking and hopping about is a sign he's not in a lot of pain, so why leave him to deteriorate and suffer? I want to do what I can for him!!

I'll update you in the morning of how I get on

Thankyou for all your concerns and advice, I really appreciate it!

Zoë & Rolo xx

I hope you get antibiotics and painkillers for rolo today. Thinking about you and wishing you luck. If the vet wont listen to you, dont hesitate to find a new vet, he doesnt deserve your money if he wont help your bun. xxxx Fingers crossed he listens to you xxxxx

I agree with willow and squiggles. Definitely get yourself a new vet. Your bun certainly needs help and you're wasting money on vets who don't want to help you.

Hi,
Thanks for that, I will start a new thread but I am going to go to the vets tomorrow to push for antibiotics and if to no avail I will seek further. I am from Wigan.

The fact he's still eating and drinking and hopping about is a sign he's not in a lot of pain, so why leave him to deteriorate and suffer? I want to do what I can for him!!

I'll update you in the morning of how I get on

Thankyou for all your concerns and advice, I really appreciate it!

Zoë & Rolo xx

You are so welcome!

Yes, move to a vet who can serve you and put your money to good use :D

You are so welcome!

Yes, move to a vet who can serve you and put your money to good use :D

Hi all, I have picked up his precription which I pushed for; eye drops, loxicom and antibiotics with some recovery food - if he stops eating.

I am now just going to take it day by day and not build my hopes up, but at least I can say I tried!

Thankyou for all your replies and I'll most definitely keep you all updated!

Lots of love,

Zoë & Rolo xxx

So very pleased you have medication for Rolo. Please stay with us and all the very best for bunny. Sending lots of healing vibes and love xxxxx

Hi all, I have picked up his precription which I pushed for; eye drops, loxicom and antibiotics with some recovery food - if he stops eating.

I am now just going to take it day by day and not build my hopes up, but at least I can say I tried!

Lots of love,

Zoë & Rolo xxx

I am glad that you are now armed with the appropriate medication. I really hope that Rolo defies the odds and pulls through xx

Lots of love,

Zoë & Rolo xxx

Zoe, I'm so glad you have all that you need!

Lots of luck for little Rolo xx

I am glad that you are now armed with the appropriate medication. I really hope that Rolo defies the odds and pulls through xx

Thankyou for your advice! I'm glad I can say at least I have tried to help him if the worst happens, and I hope he defies all odds but at least I stand a chance of helping him! He's had his doses tonight and I've treated him with a small amount of carrot cut into tiny cubes!

I've got baytril, loxicom and isathal I'm praying he pulls through all we can do is wait.

I'll keep you all updated for sure, I'm glad you all gave me help!

Lots of love,

Zoë & Rolo xx

Thankyou for your advice! I'm glad I can say at least I have tried to help him if the worst happens, and I hope he defies all odds but at least I stand a chance of helping him! He's had his doses tonight and I've treated him with a small amount of carrot cut into tiny cubes!

I've got baytril, loxicom and isathal I'm praying he pulls through all we can do is wait.

Lots of love,

Zoë & Rolo xx

:thumb: Best you can do!

Lots of love,

Zoë & Rolo xx

You'r welcome, I hope Rolo is still bright within himself this morning xx

Hi Hoping to see good news for Rolo - have you PMd Santa who has just nursed a bun through myxi in the last few weeks and is now nursing another one!!.

Back