• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eve

Dorothy

Alpha Buck
Couldn't decide which of my 21 bunnies to tell a story about. Thought I would tell Eve's story as it is such a typical story of how a bunny ends up being rescued.

Eve was born at a rabbit Breeders at Easter 2000 and was chosen as a pet for a young girl who named her Sooty as she was a small black upeared bunny. She lived with her new family for only a few short months, by which time the girl had grown tired of her as she didn't realy do much :? and it was tiresome to clean her out :cry: .
It was decided to pass Sooty on to a 12 year old girl they knew who also wanted a pet bunny. After the initial excitement, this girl too grew tired of Sooty. Her small hutch was placed on the ground in the rubbish corner of the garden surrounded by bikes, toys, garden equipment and bags of garden rubbish. Her hutch was dark and not cleaned out regularly. In winter no provision was made for protection from the elements. Sooty was fed when they remembered and often went without food for days, only having straw to eat. She never had veggies and the dry food was damp and of the very heavily mollassed variety-very bad for the teeth. She was never let out of the hutch for excercise.
All of this was watched by a neighbour who herself owned a very pampered bunny. The neighbour was very upset and often offered food for the bunny if she saw the young girl in the garden, just to make sure she got something.
Eventualy the girls father moved a girlfriend in to live with them. This woman was an animal lover and was most upset at how the rabbit was treated. The neighbour saw her chance to sudgest to someone who cared, that the bunny should be re-homed. The woman agread to talk to the girl and Sooty was soon on her way to live with me.
Just in time too as by 3 years of age the real problems of bad diet etc were just begining to cause problems. Not long after she arrived her teeth had to be burred down. The vet was disgusted at the state of her mouth. If I feel along her jaw line it is very jagged as the teeth have never grown properly and are malacluded. Her eyes are also an ongoing problem and need flushing and drops regularly. She also has a sticky bottom which has to a large extent responded to good diet but can still be a problem at times as she is not chewing her food properly with her problem teeth.
I have renamed her Eve and she is a very happy, affectionate bunny and loves binkying round her run and playing with her teddy. Every night at bedtime she pops her head out of her cage, shuts her eyes and waits for head rubs :oops: .

Yep! made me cry again......this is the scenario we are all striving to put a stop to. Bexy, do you know if BRC breeders do follow ups on the bunnies they sell and offer advice to the owners if they are going wrong with rabbity things?

lynda
The breeder i got claude and william from is very good,she still emails now to ask about them.She also looks after them when i go on holiday all her bunnies, (think she has about 8) are very well looked after have large hutches and a nice garden to run in,she doesnt sell to pet shops and her giants only go to people who have had them before.
I got a supply of food and care sheet with claude.
She knows how special my blue boy is!

It's awful to think of all the bunnies who don't have animal lovers living next door and die a horrible death. Poor little Eve, at least someone got her out of there.

It makes me so sad to think of all the bunnies that are just left in their miniscule of a hutch in the garden on their own. Just think if a human or child was put in a cage on their own, they would go MAD and just wish they were dead. I think pet shops should stop selling bunnies totally and definitely put their prices up (if they really must) as £25 for a life is NOTHING and it just encourages families (especially with children) to buy them.

I was in my local pet shop once getting some fiddle sticks for my bunnies' play room and overheard a rather fat builder type man (sorry no offence to builders but he was YOB!) saying to this child of about 3 or 4 years of age "do you want one, go on, go on! I will get ya one for ya or do you want an ice cream instead". I just looked at him disgustingly. I wanted to quickly buy all the poor little bunnies there and then :cry:

Give Eve an extra head rub from me - I don't know how these people sleep at night - thank goodness for you and the neighbours.

bluebunny said:
lynda
The breeder i got claude and william from is very good,she still emails now to ask about them.She also looks after them when i go on holiday all her bunnies, (think she has about 8) are very well looked after have large hutches and a nice garden to run in,she doesnt sell to pet shops and her giants only go to people who have had them before.
I got a supply of food and care sheet with claude.
She knows how special my blue boy is!

That's refreshing to know that she cares so much, do you think she would like to come and tell us about her bunnies on this site? She sounds very nice.

Yes thats a great idea Bunny hugger...perhaps someone could ask the lovely kind Breeder to contact either Tamsin or I, we would be very interested to hear from her :D
Oh Dorothy what a sad, sad bunny tale :cry: , but what a Fairytale ending that Eve should end up with you...you are Eves "fairy Godmother" :D

hi lynda,
i know some breedes say if there is a prob then give them a ring i do any way but i dont breed at christmas or easter for thought resons. I know some breedrs that say if the rabbits in no loger wanted then they r happy to have it back
insome cases breedes have found rabbits on there door steps
i friend of mine has some people come round to choose some baby rabbits and they all ready had 2 at home they came with other 2 they all ready had for some reson and took the new ones home and my friend found that they had left ther other 2 there so she took them in as they didnt want then cause they were too big well cant remember the exact story but thats how it goes
becky

Rexy bexy said:
insome cases breedes have found rabbits on there door steps
i friend of mine has some people come round to choose some baby rabbits and they all ready had 2 at home they came with other 2 they all ready had for some reson and took the new ones home and my friend found that they had left ther other 2 there so she took them in as they didnt want then cause they were too big well cant remember the exact story but thats how it goes

People try this with rescue centres too unfortunately. At least they brought the rabbits to the doorstep, some people just let them go in the wild where they are usually killed by preditors, some people use them as target practice for air rifles, slingshots and crossbows (these are the damages we see), some people give them to snake owners to feed them to the snakes. At least those ones were safe. It's a horrible world sometimes.

MAN is the most destructible inhabitant of this earth.

My rabbit was a gorgeous little stray who had 8 babies just after I took her in,(of course I kept them) :p

The previous owner had dug a hole put her in the hole and filled it in, god knows what he was thinking of.

She obviously dug her way out and moved in with me, and I was so pleased she chose me.
June

People try this with rescue centres too unfortunately. At least they brought the rabbits to the doorstep, some people just let them go in the wild where they are usually killed by preditors, some people use them as target practice for air rifles, slingshots and crossbows (these are the damages we see), some people give them to snake owners to feed them to the snakes. .[/quote]

words fail me

Back