• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A bit worried about Bobo

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Bobo was stretching up for a treat this morning and I notice his fur underneath his chin was all wet...gave me a bit of a fright!

I haven't noticed this before - we cannot handle Bobo at all - he fights like a demon (even the vets are hesitant these days about approaching him:lol:).

He's had his teeth checked about 2 weeks ago at the vet - he was being sedated for another procedure and they check them then and they were fine - so I don't think it's that. He's eating very well as well.

I am wondering if he is dribbling water down his front when he drinks. He drinks from a bowl (he has never drunk from a bottle) - and he drinks ALOT! Plus he is rather hairy around his face.

So I think it's that - but my worry is that I cannot dry his fur. There is no way in a month of Sundays' that he would allow that.

Am I being a worry wart for nothing? Any other suggestions other than teeth or a dribbly drinker?

Thank you!

Can you not put an hairdryer on low away from him but still generating a bit of heat to dry him. I know some buns are scared of them though. I dont know what to suggest really.
Is he leaning over the bowl and the fur is going in maybe. Other than that i would take him to the vet for a little check, maybe they can come up with some ideas. Do buns suffer from salivary problems like other animals can? Sorry creating more questions, maybe someone will be along who knows more. xx Hope bobo gets better xx

Can you not put an hairdryer on low away from him but still generating a bit of heat to dry him. I know some buns are scared of them though. I dont know what to suggest really.
Is he leaning over the bowl and the fur is going in maybe. Other than that i would take him to the vet for a little check, maybe they can come up with some ideas. Do buns suffer from salivary problems like other animals can? Sorry creating more questions, maybe someone will be along who knows more. xx Hope bobo gets better xx

Good questions! Not sure about a hair dryer - it could work. He pays no attention to the vacuum cleaner and is used to have a fan blowing. Might be worth a try....:thumb: Thank you.

Aboleth gets really wet when she has one of her longterm drinking sessions, and she's not fluffy. Lopsy's sometimes wet as well, but then he sometimes stands or sits in the water bowl because he's a bit dense ;P I've never worried about it as long as they're not wet all the time :)

Bobo was stretching up for a treat this morning and I notice his fur underneath his chin was all wet...gave me a bit of a fright!

I haven't noticed this before - we cannot handle Bobo at all - he fights like a demon (even the vets are hesitant these days about approaching him:lol:).

He's had his teeth checked about 2 weeks ago at the vet - he was being sedated for another procedure and they check them then and they were fine - so I don't think it's that. He's eating very well as well.

I am wondering if he is dribbling water down his front when he drinks. He drinks from a bowl (he has never drunk from a bottle) - and he drinks ALOT! Plus he is rather hairy around his face.

So I think it's that - but my worry is that I cannot dry his fur. There is no way in a month of Sundays' that he would allow that.

Am I being a worry wart for nothing? Any other suggestions other than teeth or a dribbly drinker?

Thank you!

Can you teach him to drink from a bottle ? I normally prefer to give water in a bowl, but one of my Rabbits has a very large dewlap and if she drinks from a bowl the fur on her dewlap is permanently wet. This can eventually lead to bacterial/fungal skin problems. So I had to show her how to drink from a sipper bottle, which is what she now has and her dewlap remains nice and dry.

Can you teach him to drink from a bottle ? I normally prefer to give water in a bowl, but one of my Rabbits has a very large dewlap and if she drinks from a bowl the fur on her dewlap is permanently wet. This can eventually lead to bacterial/fungal skin problems. So I had to show her how to drink from a sipper bottle, which is what she now has and her dewlap remains nice and dry.

We could try but to be honest we are very reluctant because we nearly lost him as a baby when we first got him - he had a bottle but didn't use it and basically went without or very little water for 48 hours before we twigged and gave him a bowl of water which he promptly drank half of. The docile baby bun suddenly changed into a binkying lunatic so he was obviously very dehydrated.

Another reason why I am against using a bottle is that he drinks SO much water - nearly 2 litres a day because of his EC...I don't like to think of him have to work so hard to get the amount of water he is so obviously needing.

I am wondering if we got one of those water feeder things which has a very small bowl type thing so he doesn't get to stick his whole hairy chin in the water...I'm sure I've seen someone on here with once of those.

We could try but to be honest we are very reluctant because we nearly lost him as a baby when we first got him - he had a bottle but didn't use it and basically went without or very little water for 48 hours before we twigged and gave him a bowl of water which he promptly drank half of. The docile baby bun suddenly changed into a binkying lunatic so he was obviously very dehydrated.

Another reason why I am against using a bottle is that he drinks SO much water - nearly 2 litres a day because of his EC...I don't like to think of him have to work so hard to get the amount of water he is so obviously needing.

I am wondering if we got one of those water feeder things which has a very small bowl type thing so he doesn't get to stick his whole hairy chin in the water...I'm sure I've seen someone on here with once of those.

Sorry to hear about Bobo's chin. it's the little things that are sometimes the most difficult to solve, but are really important!

I was wondering about one of those feeders which will mean that the whole dewlap doesn't get wet. I've used one before for the same sort of thing. Haven't used it for years now, and no idea where it is - do you already have one?

It's a lot of water he drinks, so essential he gets it one way or another... You don't want to create a further problem by solving one :)

Something like this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BlueMoo-Ra...76789856&sr=8-10&keywords=water+feeder+rabbit

Yes - that's the one. Thank you!!! :D I will try and find one with a smaller bowl but which holds the same amount of water. I need to think of a way to secure it - he's an idiot and likely to knock it over at some point :lol:

Yes that's the problem - they are plastic and quite unstable. But perhaps you can twist tie/cable tie it to a solid object like a cat post or something :D

Doughnut gets a wet chin sometimes or ear but she's not as fluffy as cute little bobo
maybe stick it down with double sided taped underneath that he can't get to

Back