• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny problems....

So I have two bunnies (one a Netherland Dwarf / Male and one a Holland Lop/ Male) that have bonded perfectly the past 6 days. Today for some reason my dominant bunny (Netherland Dwarf) acted a little weird. He nipped my hand and then a few hours later decided to nip the other bunnies ear. They went to being okay one second later and there is the tiniest cut on the Holland Lops ear but should I be concerned?

Even down to mounting, the Netherland Dwarf mounts for a few second (5/6 seconds) and after that he either loses interest or he is sprayed with a bottle of water. While I know this is normal due to experience I have never experienced a bonded pair nip like that...

Just now they started circling and nipping a little as well as grunting then stop completely and are ignoring each other...
I have separated them and have booked to get them neutered in December however I do not want them to completely forget each other, so can I open their cages the same time so they can play? Is there anything I can do...?
Thanks in advance.

I'd personally not try to bond them until they are neutered. If they have a big fight, which often starts with circling and nipping, they will remember that and be less likely to bond.
Keep them apart but where they can see each other (as long as it isn't upsetting either bun) for 6 weeks after neutering and try again in a small, neutral space.

Good luck.

From what you say, they are not bonded.
They're still figuring out who's boss etc.
Until they're neutered I wouldn't allow any more bonding sessions as it could easily turn into a serious fight.

You can swap cages daily to allow them to still experience each others smells but I wouldn't risk any more bonding sessions until 4-6 weeks after neutering.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with what has already said about not attempting to bond until they are neutered, otherwise you take the risk of never being able to bond them - and also of a serious fight. So, I advise not letting them have any contact at all until 6 weeks after neutering, and then starting the process again in completely neutral territory. How old are they? I've always found it easier bonding rabbits of the opposite sex, but I know that's not everyone's experience.

Boy rabbits usually start to fight around 14 weeks old, up until this they will have been very happy together. It's hard to believe it but it;s all down to hormones.

Boy rabbits usually start to fight around 14 weeks old, up until this they will have been very happy together. It's hard to believe it but it;s all down to hormones.

They are both 8 weeks old, born 2 days apart. The breeders I got them from both suggested I bond them on the car ride home which worked until this incident.

Mine were all born together and were fine untill they reached 10 weeks and all hell broke loose with 2 of the boys. I had to separate and because the fight had been bad they both still hate each other. The above advice is 100% right and i wish i had had the opportunity and space to separate them all before fights occurred. There was 6 babies plus i had mum and dad and i didnt have the hutches to separate every bun. Luckily ive still ended up with two sets of 4 buns, but by the time neutering and spaying was done i had them in all different places all over my house and rebonding into just two quads was really hard. The inconvenience is well worth it in the end.

They are getting neutered in December and until then I have separated them. I feel bad because it was 1 incident however I don't want to ruin their chances of bonding again later on, they keep trying to groom each other through the cages. I did not expect them to be so hormonal at 8 weeks old

Mine were all born together and were fine untill they reached 10 weeks and all hell broke loose with 2 of the boys. I had to separate and because the fight had been bad they both still hate each other. The above advice is 100% right and i wish i had had the opportunity and space to separate them all before fights occurred. There was 6 babies plus i had mum and dad and i didnt have the hutches to separate every bun. Luckily ive still ended up with two sets of 4 buns, but by the time neutering and spaying was done i had them in all different places all over my house and rebonding into just two quads was really hard. The inconvenience is well worth it in the end.

I will take that advice and run with it. I know they will be great together after the hormones disappear!

Back