• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing for few days away

LuCharlie

New Kit
Hi I am looking ahead to when we have a few days away planned. My neighbour who has rabbits will be popping in on a daily basis to feed the buns, replenish water and hay. However I am usually popping to see them multiple times a day so want to prepare things so they can cope with less attention. Things I have thought of are putting extra water bowls in run, plenty of hay in different places, and erm, that's it! Grateful for any tips as this is the first time we have left them. Will be 3 nights and they are outside in a permanently attached hutch sheltered run combo. The hutch has an insulated cover so I was planning to leave rain cover on also. Many thanks for tips in advance!

Hi I am looking ahead to when we have a few days away planned. My neighbour who has rabbits will be popping in on a daily basis to feed the buns, replenish water and hay. However I am usually popping to see them multiple times a day so want to prepare things so they can cope with less attention. Things I have thought of are putting extra water bowls in run, plenty of hay in different places, and erm, that's it! Grateful for any tips as this is the first time we have left them. Will be 3 nights and they are outside in a permanently attached hutch sheltered run combo. The hutch has an insulated cover so I was planning to leave rain cover on also. Many thanks for tips in advance!

Personally I would want my Rabbits checked on more than once a day. Could the neighbour pop in at least twice a day ?

I would do a double check on the security of the accommodation, fitting padlocks if you do not already have them. I would definitely leave the rain cover on. If they are being checked on at least twice daily they should not need extra food/water and I am sure that you always provide them with plenty of hay. Asking your neighbour to top up the hay on each visit will mean the Rabbits have a regular 'fresh' supply which they are more likely to eat than that that had been previously available . Hope you enjoy your break away :)

Check the weather for your away days and if you don't need the covers, don't bother :) We give ours extra toys when we go: usually a couple of really wide branches they'll have a good few days' chewing or some new willow balls :) Ours like to encourage our petsitters by being extra-beggy ;P

Check the weather for your away days and if you don't need the covers, don't bother :) We give ours extra toys when we go: usually a couple of really wide branches they'll have a good few days' chewing or some new willow balls :) Ours like to encourage our petsitters by being extra-beggy ;P

Good advice from keletkezes :D Knowing what the weather is likely to do, and letting your neighbour know what to do if the weather changes :D

I would see whether your neighbour can pop in twice daily. That way she can see that they are hungry for their food every 12 hours, as if a rabbit stops eating it's best to sort it as soon as possible.

The chewing bit is also important, so they don't get bored and chew things they shouldn't!

Also, be sure to leave your neighbour the vet's contact details. I hope you have a good break :D

Thanks for the thoughts. I will see if my neighbour can do twice a day (she is pretty nice so sure she will help if she can), my parents are not too far so will see if they can help out too. I must admit i would feel happier with that. A carrot cottage might be in order as well to keep them busy! Will definitely leave vets details just in case and check the weather! Must remember some flowers and a pressie for my neighbour too so she feels appreciated!!

Back