• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fixing up the rabbits house!

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
I have been trying to decide between getting a complete new house for the rabbits, or fixing up the one they have. I have decided to work out the costs for each, and see what would be better.

I was considering getting corrugated plastic for the roof, instead of re-felting it, but looking at the costs it is far cheaper to re-felt it. I just don't know how easy re-felting will be due to the positioning of the house. For corrugated plastic I looked at the likes of B&Q, Wickes, Homebase... does anyone know of any other places that are better, and possibly cheaper? I would prefer the corrugated plastic, but as it stands, it looks like I will be figuring out how to move the house!

My other issue is putting a window in the inside part. My plan is to attach mesh over the window, and then have a piece of clear plastic that is removable. I think that would be better than just mesh so it can keep it warmer in the winter, stopping any drafts but also be removable for in the summer, to allow some fresh air in. I have found this mesh, which looks good (having not actually seen it) http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-25mm-Mesh-Panel-Galvanised-600mm-x-900mm/p/187722. Does anyone know what type of plastic would be better to use alongside the mesh? Or what a proper name for it is, as my searches aren't coming up with exactly what I want.

I have been looking at shelves, and at getting some new lino... it is rather exciting! I was going to plan everything out so I can start in spring, but I don't know if I will have the patience!

As far as the plastic goes you can use some clear tarpaulin just staple it around the window, this is what I do in the winter and it works well. For the mesh I have used hutch doors or part of a run.

I refelted my shed roof & it was fairly easy to do but I can see how it could be awkward if you don't have the right space around it for access - is it a shed you have? I use corrugated pvc for the run roof and that's been great for keeping the run dry compared to tarpaulin. I bought mine from b&q, prices were similar in most places and b&q had a multibuy offer which made it the same price for 5 sheets as it would be for 4 so I also have a spare sheet!

I've meshed the shed window and I kept the perspex that I removed from the window and use that when I need to keep out cold and rain. Clear tarpaulin or shower curtain would also work.

As far as the plastic goes you can use some clear tarpaulin just staple it around the window, this is what I do in the winter and it works well. For the mesh I have used hutch doors or part of a run.

Oh, that's a good idea! Will have a look at that :D

I refelted my shed roof & it was fairly easy to do but I can see how it could be awkward if you don't have the right space around it for access - is it a shed you have? I use corrugated pvc for the run roof and that's been great for keeping the run dry compared to tarpaulin. I bought mine from b&q, prices were similar in most places and b&q had a multibuy offer which made it the same price for 5 sheets as it would be for 4 so I also have a spare sheet!

I've meshed the shed window and I kept the perspex that I removed from the window and use that when I need to keep out cold and rain. Clear tarpaulin or shower curtain would also work.

It is a dog kennel. Unfortunately, it is up against the garage on one side and the fence on another... so only two sides are easily accessible so I would have to move the whole thing out, which would be rather difficult. I think the corrugated plastic would be awesome, but looking up prices, it is about 3x as much as re-felting...

This is their house...

Just realised you are in Lanarkshire - so am I! Lol.

i bought some transparent clear plastic table cloth really easy to cut and cheap to and stapled it to the hutch windows and you could easily make it so that you could roll it up on hot days.

It looks great, I've not long done up my shed and attached a run I made - the costs do add up, it seemed to be a cheap option until I realised how much things like felt, corrugated plastic, wood etc all cost! Nice to have someone else from around here on the boards :wave:

we have done the corrugated plastic and got the offer that casco got but i needed flashing for the join from shed to aviary and the price is adding up even further with the flashing tape and screw covers and so on. I wish i had gone for the clear reinforced tarpaulin ive used for the covers now. I does look lovely though. :lol:

Back