• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I finally did it!

For the first time ever this evening I did a bunny nail clipping!

When I had Scrappy and Peanut Butter I never had to do that as we were at the vet so often that I used to get the vet to do them while we were there. *Touch wood" with Snoopy and Fudgie I haven't had to go so often so I haven't had the opportunity to sneak in a manicure.

I was going to take them and get a vet nurse to do it but I thought it would be less stressful for them to do it myself at home. I've just done Fudgie's. It was a bit tricky, mainly because my hand was shaking so much as I was so worried about catching the quick :oops: Luckily her claws are white so it was a lot easier to see. She wriggled about a lot so I restrained her in a towel and popped the paws out, which she kept snatching away! Also think I might need to get different clippers. I found with the ones I got I had to stretch my hand really wide to open them which made them harder to manoeuvre.

Anyway much to my relief they're done now and we've had no accidents. She is really annoyed with me at the moment, unsurprisingly! Snoopy will be much more of a challenge as his nails are black. Plus I'm pretty sure he will kick me in the face a lot! He always manages to get a good boot in when I put him in the carrier to go to the vets :lol:

Well done :D I used to be scared of doing mine, but not now. I find it easier to do it with me kneeling on the floor with the rabbit also on the floor between my knees and facing away. That position allows me to do both the front ones. Then I put the rabbit sideways on, facing left, restraining him with my left arm, whilst also holding his right back paw with my left hand and cutting with my right hand. Then I turn him round to do the other paw. It sounds complicated but it works really well. My vet showed me how to do it like this :)

Thanks both! And thanks for the tip Omi, I'll give that a try that next time. :) I really could have done with an extra pair of hands, well a whole regiment to be honest! I knew she was going to give me a load of grief, it took three of us to hold her down when she went for her vaccine and she's only 1.6 kg :shock:

Well done! I've got less confident about bunny pedicures recently (no reason) but make myself do it anyway. My vet & a youtube vid I found helpful recommend putting just a tiny amount of pressure with the clippers & if bunny pulls foot away at that moment you are too close to the quick. Thats my top tip :)

I think the little ones are actually more awkward as there is less to hold on too :lol: With dark nails you might find it helpful to shine a torch through them first as that will show the quick easily. It's a bit reassuring even if you know you are cutting well forward to know you've seen it.

Well done! I've got less confident about bunny pedicures recently (no reason) but make myself do it anyway. My vet & a youtube vid I found helpful recommend putting just a tiny amount of pressure with the clippers & if bunny pulls foot away at that moment you are too close to the quick. Thats my top tip :)

Was that the Howcast one with Mary Cotter? I saw that one, very helpful video. :thumb: Actually I've picked up a lot of good tips from her videos, like how to give a bottom bath and tummy massages for gassy buns.

Was that the Howcast one with Mary Cotter? I saw that one, very helpful video. :thumb: Actually I've picked up a lot of good tips from her videos, like how to give a bottom bath and tummy massages for gassy buns.

Mary Cotter - now there's a name I remember from long ago :D

So glad you managed it Scrappy :D I always shine a torch behind the nail that I'm clipping, just as extra reassurance that I'm not going to hit a painful bit. I've never managed to cut into a quick yet - but my vet has :shock:

I can't do claws, I have a major phobia. Over the last 30 years my hubby has done them, while I sit down and hold whichever bun like a baby, in the crook if my arm. He's brilliant and even the vet has commented on how good the claws look. Just last Friday night he did Pixie, my canary. I turned the light off, so it was dark. Popped my hand in Pixie's huge cage and picked him up, then I put him in a tiny cage. Hubby took the cage into the kitchen and got him out and clipped his claws. He then put him back into his big cage. All in no time at all. I'd spent days stressing about it. No idea why it affects me so bad.

I'd invest in a cheap angle poised table lamp. A godsend for providing targeted extra light on Bunny claws !

Well done on accomplishing the dreaded 'nail clipping' . I thought doing a Bunny's claws was a bit nerve wracking until I did Morse's (Puppy) :shock:

I once caught the quick on Ruby's nail. It bleed an awful lot and I felt awful. Didn't seem to bother her at all though. With two pairs of black nails to do I do it just a little bit and very regularly.

Well done :D I used to be scared of doing mine, but not now. I find it easier to do it with me kneeling on the floor with the rabbit also on the floor between my knees and facing away. That position allows me to do both the front ones. Then I put the rabbit sideways on, facing left, restraining him with my left arm, whilst also holding his right back paw with my left hand and cutting with my right hand. Then I turn him round to do the other paw. It sounds complicated but it works really well. My vet showed me how to do it like this :)

That sounds good. MUST do the quad's nails ...

The worst ones to do are the 'dewclaws' on the inside of the front feet. The lady who does the grooming at our Rescue has no problems with doing them, but I really struggle - I just haven't got the knack

Back