• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD2 Vaccine & Rabbit Savvy Vet

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I've just had the girls vaccinated this morning against this. I'm confused now though. Is it just the one dose that they need or 2?

Also, we go to The Corner Vets in Sutton but since Mr Moore retired it hasn't been the same. Can anyone recommend a rabbit savvy vet? We live in Worcester Park (KT4).

They need two vaccinations now, the myxi & vhd 1 combined vaccine, then the vhd 2 vaccine, at least 2 weeks apart.

I've just had the girls vaccinated this morning against this. I'm confused now though. Is it just the one dose that they need or 2?

Also, we go to The Corner Vets in Sutton but since Mr Moore retired it hasn't been the same. Can anyone recommend a rabbit savvy vet? We live in Worcester Park (KT4).

Regarding once or twice - it depends whether your vet thinks you are in a high risk area or not ...

Richard Saunders said this in August:

''There is some confusion currently about vaccination boosters with the Filivac vaccine. I've spoken to the manufacturer this afternoon and they have given the following instructions:
For rabbits older than 10 weeks a single vaccine is enough.
For rabbits at 4 weeks you can vaccinate however need a booster 6 weeks later.
Protection will last up to a year, however in high risk areas a booster should be given at 6 months.''

I remember Mr Moore - what a fabulous vet :D We used him a lot for rescue! You could try ringing Bobtails Rescue and see who they use now? Their vet is bound to be good :)

There were a few different types of RHD2 vaccine, one of them I believe required two doses close together (few days?) but I don't think this type is available anymore. There seems to be differing opinions on filivac. Some say it lasts a year, some advise only high risk rabbits should be done every 6months. One rabbit savvy vet (can't remember which one sorry) pointed out that if a vaccinated rabbit comes in to contact with the disease their immunity is strengthened so actually the effect will last longer, low risk rabbits who don't come in to contact with the virus will lose their immunity faster, so actually rabbits who don't come in contact with the virus at all may need the vaccine more often. Personally I'll be getting it done every 6 months unless any new evidence comes out :)

There were a few different types of RHD2 vaccine, one of them I believe required two doses close together (few days?) but I don't think this type is available anymore. There seems to be differing opinions on filivac. Some say it lasts a year, some advise only high risk rabbits should be done every 6months. One rabbit savvy vet (can't remember which one sorry) pointed out that if a vaccinated rabbit comes in to contact with the disease their immunity is strengthened so actually the effect will last longer, low risk rabbits who don't come in to contact with the virus will lose their immunity faster, so actually rabbits who don't come in contact with the virus at all may need the vaccine more often. Personally I'll be getting it done every 6 months unless any new evidence comes out :)

this if your rabbits had filavac? then its one dose and recommended every 6months high risk areas

Thanks everyone. I will put a reminder in my diary for 6 months. They are booked to have the combi vacs in 2 weeks.

Jane - I was thinking Twickenham. For a routine appointment not too far at all.

In an emergency I'm not sure. I keep thinking that if Milo saw a really savvy vet that maybe they could have saved him I should have moved them ages ago. I was never too worried about things like vaccinations etc. The vet we saw this mornin admitted to not knowing much about bunnies at all. This comes at a time when I wanted to girls to have a very thorough health check.

Thanks everyone. I will put a reminder in my diary for 6 months. They are booked to have the combi vacs in 2 weeks.

In an emergency I'm not sure. I keep thinking that if Milo saw a really savvy vet that maybe they could have saved him I should have moved them ages ago. I was never too worried about things like vaccinations etc. The vet we saw this mornin admitted to not knowing much about bunnies at all. This comes at a time when I wanted to girls to have a very thorough health check.

Could you ring Bobtails Rescue and ask them what vet they use? It may be more convenient than Twickenham in an emergency :D

In an emergency I would not want to have to travel from WP to Twickenham, the traffic can be an absolute nightmare. Does Deliah still work at 'The Corner' ?

Delia does sill work there. I'll send them an email today to ask.

We have used Stonelion in Wimbledon as an emergency vet. Does anyone have any experience here?

We have used Stonelion in Wimbledon as an emergency vet. Does anyone have any experience here?

Not for Rabbits, dogs only so cant advise you there. I am sure Deliah will point you in the right direction (if she can, if you see what I mean !)

Yes I have used Stonelion a couple of times, but it was a while ago now.

I'm glad you've emailed Delia - she's the best person to ask for that neck of the woods :D

Back