• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blue eyed white lop girl.....deaf? Any particular BEW health issues?

treacletrim

Young Bun
Hi all,

Just a question out of curiosity really! I know REW bunnies are prone to poor vision/scanning, but are blue eyed white buns prone to anything in particular? It wouldn't surprise me if my BEW lop girl was deaf. It's more apparent after she lost her husbun a few months ago (new boy arriving next week hopefully!), you can be stood behind her shouting and she doesn't react, but panics when she eventually sees you. I remember reading that white dogs are prone to deafness, and wondered if BEWS were prone to anything?

Thanks!

My Daughter has a blue eyed white cat who is totally deaf, not sure if the same is true with rabbits?

Possibly epilepsy.
Frances Harcourt Brown said heard another vet say that at an event in the last few years and when she asked where they'd read that, they said in the Textbook of Rabbit Medicine that FHB wrote - but FHB can't remember where she got it from originally. I'm sure she wouldn't have included it without justification though

Blue eyed white Lion Heads may be prone to idiopathic epilepsy. It is rare though.

Is your BEW a Lop ? If so I would think being a Lop is more likely to cause hearing problems than the colour of the eyes x

Possibly epilepsy.
Frances Harcourt Brown said heard another vet say that at an event in the last few years and when she asked where they'd read that, they said in the Textbook of Rabbit Medicine that FHB wrote - but FHB can't remember where she got it from originally. I'm sure she wouldn't have included it without justification though

Indeed - agree with dumblepaws :D

Back