• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

CT scan for fast breathing bunny

lesley87

New Kit
Hi everyone,

My poor boy is going in for a CT scan tomorrow for fast breathing. He went in as a buddy to my little girl Lola getting speyed and I mentioned his rapid breathing and they said they would monitor. I am new to owning bunnies so didn't know how fast was too fast but they have measured him over a 2 day period at between 100 and 216 breaths a minute instead of the usual rate below 100 :( . He is nearly 7 months old and has always breathed fast. Lately he has developed a little bald patch under his chin which the vet thinks may be a saliva burn but we are unsure if this is related. They are checking his teeth when they anaesthetise him for the scan too.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what may be causing his fast breathing? I have had him from 8 weeks old and he has always been like this so I guess it might be something hereditary.

I just feel awful now I never pushed it sooner but I didn't realise just how fast it was. Whenever i googled it people just said bunnies do breath fast. He is a French lop if that helps anyone with ideas.

He is a happy healthy bunny apart from that and loves a binky despite already being 5.2kg!!

Any advice/ideas on diagnosis welcome and please send lots of get well soon vibes to my little Leon.

Lesley

Hi everyone,

My poor boy is going in for a CT scan tomorrow for fast breathing. He went in as a buddy to my little girl Lola getting speyed and I mentioned his rapid breathing and they said they would monitor. I am new to owning bunnies so didn't know how fast was too fast but they have measured him over a 2 day period at between 100 and 216 breaths a minute instead of the usual rate below 100 :( . He is nearly 7 months old and has always breathed fast. Lately he has developed a little bald patch under his chin which the vet thinks may be a saliva burn but we are unsure if this is related. They are checking his teeth when they anaesthetise him for the scan too.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what may be causing his fast breathing? I have had him from 8 weeks old and he has always been like this so I guess it might be something hereditary.

I just feel awful now I never pushed it sooner but I didn't realise just how fast it was. Whenever i googled it people just said bunnies do breath fast. He is a French lop if that helps anyone with ideas.

He is a happy healthy bunny apart from that and loves a binky despite already being 5.2kg!!

Any advice/ideas on diagnosis welcome and please send lots of get well soon vibes to my little Leon.

Lesley

I am sorry that your Buck is displaying symptoms of concern regarding his respiratory rate. I am not sure that me posting a list of possible causes of an increased respiratory rate will be of any help to you, it'd probably just make you even more anxious. Rather like doing a Google search on a human health problem and ending up convincing ourselves we have the worst disease imaginable when in reality we probably do not !! The perils of consulting 'Dr Google' !! Your Buck is young and he sounds to be generally 'well'. So hopefully if any problem is detected from the CT scan it will be treatable/fixable. Do ask your Vet as many question as you need to regarding any possible diagnosis and also about the procedure your Buck is having today. Most Vets are more than happy to offer as much reassurance possible as they know how anxious we are about our Rabbit.

Your Vet will be fully aware of any possible implications of the fast breathing and I am sure that he/she will take every possible measure to ensure that the GA is as safe as possible.

Sending lots of good wishes for your Buck (sorry, you have not mentioned his name!) and I hope that you will receive good news from the Vet later today xx

Sending loads of get well soon vibes to Leon. I hope the vets are able to establish the cause for his increased respiratory rate.

Hi everyone,

Lesley

Lesley I am very sorry to hear this. There are several reasons this may be happening but as he is having the CT scan today, I think it best to leave the diagnosis to the vet. They will have all the info and be able to clearly tell you what is going on wth Leon.

He is very young and I hope he will be sorted and the problem coped with. Bless him!

Good luck to you both xx

Hi All,

I picked up my boy last night and the CT was clear. No issues at all! The vet seems to think maybe fast breathing is just normal for him and is reluctant to give him anything to slow it down in case it triggers a problem. So relieved!

Thanks for all your kind words :)

Lesley x

Hi All,

I picked up my boy last night and the CT was clear. No issues at all! The vet seems to think maybe fast breathing is just normal for him and is reluctant to give him anything to slow it down in case it triggers a problem. So relieved!

Lesley x

Lesley that's fantastic news :D

Hi All,

Lesley x

That's great news :D

Back