• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy is poorly again :(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
She went off her food again yesterday, so took her back to the vets as I thought maybe her bladder sludge was building up again... Only normal wee came out though, so the vet said to keep an eye on her, and they would give her more antibiotics if she was no better today. No better and eating less, so I took her back this afternoon, using some holiday from work..
They were running half an hour late as usual, which was annoying to start with, then I had to see a new vet who has only just started there, who I didn't like at all :(
He had a good look at her teeth, as they have a couple of tiny Spurs at the back, but I know the problem isn't her teeth. She's been eating hay like it's going out of fashion for the last few weeks, I am 99% convinced it's not her teeth. So anyway, she's had the usual cocktail - metacam, emeprid, ranitidine and baytril. Have to take her back every day for a week for baytril injections, as she won't take it orally. I'm exhausted. Just want her well again :(

She went off her food again yesterday, so took her back to the vets as I thought maybe her bladder sludge was building up again... Only normal wee came out though, so the vet said to keep an eye on her, and they would give her more antibiotics if she was no better today. No better and eating less, so I took her back this afternoon, using some holiday from work..
They were running half an hour late as usual, which was annoying to start with, then I had to see a new vet who has only just started there, who I didn't like at all :(
He had a good look at her teeth, as they have a couple of tiny Spurs at the back, but I know the problem isn't her teeth. She's been eating hay like it's going out of fashion for the last few weeks, I am 99% convinced it's not her teeth. So anyway, she's had the usual cocktail - metacam, emeprid, ranitidine and baytril. Have to take her back every day for a week for baytril injections, as she won't take it orally. I'm exhausted. Just want her well again :(

Oh no, I'm so sorry!

I'm glad you've got 'the works' for stasis, though as you say, heaven only knows why it's come back again. I'm sure your instinct is correct about the teeth.

What did you think of the new vet? Would you see him again? Do you think it may be a UTI?

I really hope this gets Daisy out of the mire very quickly xx

Oh no, I'm so sorry!

I'm glad you've got 'the works' for stasis, though as you say, heaven only knows why it's come back again. I'm sure your instinct is correct about the teeth.

What did you think of the new vet? Would you see him again? Do you think it may be a UTI?

I really hope this gets Daisy out of the mire very quickly xx

Thanks... I do think UTI, yes.. She only had 3 days of baytril last time, which probably wasn't enough. Didn't like the new vet at all, as he seemed very tunnel-visioned about teeth. I know my rabbits, and her teeth are fine. She has also been spotting urine, so that's a major telltale sign of UTI!

I'm sorry that Daisy is unwell again. It's also very unsatisfactory when you've seen a new vet that you're not that keen on.

Would your vet let you and would you consider giving Daisy the injections yourself? Baytril is really easy to inject and doesn't clog up like Penicillin is prone to doing. It would save her having to go to the vets and would save you so much time as well.

Thanks... I do think UTI, yes.. She only had 3 days of baytril last time, which probably wasn't enough. Didn't like the new vet at all, as he seemed very tunnel-visioned about teeth. I know my rabbits, and her teeth are fine. She has also been spotting urine, so that's a major telltale sign of UTI!

Three days? Nowhere near enough in my opinion (for a suspected UTI)

Are you not wanting to do the baytril injections yourself, or did the vet give you no option?

Shame about the new vet. Sometimes fresh eyes can shed a better light ...

They would let me inject, well, the vets I usually see would, but last time I cocked it up and it came out the other side, so I darent risk it now :(

They would let me inject, well, the vets I usually see would, but last time I cocked it up and it came out the other side, so I darent risk it now :(

Oh we've all cocked it up and done that :)

You could practise at the vet surgery injecting sterile saline. They nurse would be able to show you and you could have a few practise goes :)

I think sometimes when they have sludge, when they wee the sludge tends to stay in the bladder and the normal wee floats above it and gets passed out. Perhaps you could ask for an x-ray to see what's going on in there.

I think sometimes when they have sludge, when they wee the sludge tends to stay in the bladder and the normal wee floats above it and gets passed out. Perhaps you could ask for an x-ray to see what's going on in there.

Thanks, yes I realise that, we were just trying to avoid a GA as Daisy is getting on a bit now... :(

Well, Daisy was very sorry for herself all evening, bless her, but I spent loads of time giving her lots of fuss, and it really paid off :) she has had a drink of water, and a decent amount of parsley, mint and some greens, as well as some grass, so I may actually sleep tonight now. She has done some decent droppings too, so I feel very relieved!!! Fingers crossed she improves more overnight..

Well, Daisy was very sorry for herself all evening, bless her, but I spent loads of time giving her lots of fuss, and it really paid off :) she has had a drink of water, and a decent amount of parsley, mint and some greens, as well as some grass, so I may actually sleep tonight now. She has done some decent droppings too, so I feel very relieved!!! Fingers crossed she improves more overnight..

Sweet dreams Ripminnie :D

Vibes for Daisy's continued recovery x

Thanks everyone :) Daisy didn't really want anything this morning, but she ate a fair bit overnight, and again this afternoon - I left a big plateful for her at lunchtime and it was all gone when I got home at 5.30 :) she is happier too, although very wary that I'm going to grab her all the time, which I'll be doing again in half an hour for our daily vet trip :(

Back