• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where did your first rabbit come from?

Where did your first rabbit come from?

• Large Petshop Chain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Petshop

• Direct from Breeder

• Small Ads

• Friend/Family Member

• Stray

• Other

• Total voters

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it might be interesting to find out... please vote in the poll above and feel free to add comments as well.

Note: Votes are annoymous :)

Tam

Mine came from a farm. My farther was doing an electrical job and the farmer mentioned he had two Rabbit's looking for new homes as his kids had lost interest. So my farther brought the pair home for me and my sister.

We didnt have them long as they both died of Mxyi a few weeks later! :eek:(

Louise

Aaaaw, Louise, that's sad, if you were young it must have been very upsetting....well, let's face it, doesn't matter what age you are it is still upsetting but you know what I mean!

My Charlie came from a garden centre outside of Gloucester: I happened to be in there with my mum one day and saw this friendly little black chap with one white paw, just didn't look as though anyone wanted him as he was already around 20 weeks old......well, what could a girl do? He had to come and live here with us didn't he??!!! And I will confess that I knew absolutely nothing at all about rabbit care but, boy, I have I learnt a lot since I got him. It was my intention in the beginning for him to live outdoors but, first of all, I couldn't leave him out all night and, somehow, after he just became a house rabbit. He is a very special boy and is soooo cuddly.

My first bun came fronm a wildllife trust..they bred rabbits to help raise funds for the wildlife??????....you live and learn. I was also told she was definatley a boy, even though I wasn't sure nluckikly she was named Charlie so it just went to Charli girl. The nest 11or 12 were from RNGP but I must admit I got an Agouti french lop Clifford from a breeder as I really wanted one and when I lost him I bought Taya from a breder ...if I hadn't she would have been bred from, after I lost Clifford the frenchy after 3 weeks of illnes ....eventually we thouyght he had turned the corner and was much better..back to his normal cheeky self when he suddenly died pver night. We ahd a pm onhimand it turned out he twisted his liver and ripped it. :cry: He was 7 months old

My first bun came fronm a wildllife trust..they bred rabbits to help raise funds for the wildlife??????....you live and learn. I was also told she was definatley a boy, even though I wasn't sure nluckikly she was named Charlie so it just went to Charli girl. The nest 11or 12 were from RNGP but I must admit I got an Agouti french lop Clifford from a breeder as I really wanted one and when I lost him I bought Taya from a breder ...if I hadn't she would have been bred from, after I lost Clifford the frenchy after 3 weeks of illnes ....eventually we thouyght he had turned the corner and was much better..back to his normal cheeky self when he suddenly died pver night. We ahd a pm onhimand it turned out he twisted his liver and ripped it. :cry: He was 7 months old

Alfie was advertised in the local supermarket as needing a new home, a year old, neutered and complete with hutch. We went to have a look at him and he was in the most tiny of hutches you could imagine so I couldn't leave him there. That weekend cost me a fortune as he immediately had a new hutch and run. We had him for five wonderful years and lost him this June while we were on holiday.

:D My First Bunny Buffy came from our local Petstore - a total impulse buy - went out for a loaf of bread and came back with a bunny!! - my hubby was not impressed at the time but now he is totally bonkers about her!

I remember so well picking her up and having our first cuddle and you know the feeling fellow rabbiters - "love and first sight" -
She was originally housed with our Guinea Pigs (Yep - you live and learn!!) until she was around 8 months old and then when she was spayed she came into the house and spent some time free range and has been a House Bunny ever since. I learned soooo much during those first months and then later after reading so much on the Internet decided to get her a Buddy - by then I'd been reading so much about the plight of bunnies that I visited our local RSPCA - walked through the door to the Bunny area and their he was - those big brown eyes and what a mischevious nature - Dillon was mine!! - Buffy and Dillon were a perfect match together and totally joined at the hip!! - sadly we lost Dillon earlier in the Year but Buffs is now bonded with Cagney and is now again a very happy content bunny.

I'm glad I went out for that loaf of bread - and even though life with bunnies seem to be a constant roller coaster - the ride is well worth it.

:bunny:

Oh "crumbs" Lany that tale brought a tear to my eye......and we can totally relate to this, as my husband went Christmas shopping one year and came back with bags of food and a box...inside was a tiny grey Netherland Dwarf baby, that David had taken pity on in a garden centre..it was cold weather, and all the other bunnies had been sold to forever homes....so "MISTLETOE" came into our lives and our home, and now 7 years is younger than ever, and still gets up to all kinds of mischief..he adores watching The Simpsons on television..a rabbit with good taste hey(!??)
:lol:

:lol: Ah Ah - Rascal Adele - I must stop posting these threads that make folks reach for the Kleenex - but you know Buffy has a special bond with her Aunt Adele.

I loved the story about Mistletoe - thats lovely and so well named!! - that David - what is he like - just don't ever send us both out shopping together then matety - lordy knows what we might come back with!!!!!!

Over and Out

In total I have had 4 rabbits in my entire life.. 1st one I have no idea where my mum and dad got him from (ran away when we move house). 2nd one was from my aunts rabbits that had breed together (died he was about 3 years old). The 3rd and 4th we brought from a pet shop. If I can convince hubby I would love to get another bonded pair, this time from a rescue centre.

hi
my very first bunnies were from a pet shop but never again i had nothing but troubel with them.
i still have the one who is 4 1/2 years old but the other died at the age of 2 1/2 from bridging of the spine and i nuresd her for months but in the end she just gave up
i now bye from breeders or my own bread and since i have had no probs
all breeders i know r in the brc and are all willing to help and give good advice
becky

Hi there Rebecca..thank you for your story too, sorry you had such a sad experience.
You have a raised a good point that Breeders connected to the BRC can give good advise about rabbit care too, and these pure breeds tend to have less health problems , coming from generation after generation of good healthy stock.
:D

Hi,

My first bunny came from my sisters neighbour.

They had bought their children a bunny each which they were told by the pet shop were both female. One turned out to be male and a few weeks later the female had a litter. I had just moved in with my boyfriend so Smokey became our first baby.

I convinced my other half she should stay indoors until she got used to us. He never had the heart to put her outside.

She loved attention and would bite your jeans is you ignored her or would jump up on the sofa to sit next to you. If you were eating cocolate she would try and pinch the wrapper. She was adorable!

Unfortunately she had a lot of problems with her teeth and she never came around from her 6th operation, she was 4. She is the reason I feel in love with bunnies.

My first bunny Casper came from then called Petsmart... unfortunately I only learnt afterwards that many pets from there were ill and died within a short time after purchase... just like my baby Casper! This was over six years ago... for the last three years, all my pets have been adopted as rescues (with the exception of my cockatiel).

I got Bunny (my first) from focus do it all (pet section).

Wouldn't do it again though have had more satisfaction from rescuing!

our first rabbit chinaski came to us nearly a year ago, he was bought for my mums friends granddaughter who soon lost intrest, so i got a phone call from my mum asking if i wanted a rabbit i said no , mum said do you want a rabbit, i said no, this went on for a few mins until she wore me down and i said ok we will have the rabbit. Well this lovely mini lop came to us with a tiny cage, i had asked if he was nuetered and they did not know :shock: i turned him upside down and no he was not, he also had sores on his face and his bits. Next morning we took him for a health check and the poor we sole had syphillis(sp), so in the space of a week he was nuetered, treated to an indoor hutch that is never used and an outdoor hutch and i was about £250.00 poorer,but with no regrets.

Terri

I used to live in a semi-rural area and there was a swap meet that had a lot of animal vendors. My wife went and felt bad for the baby rabbits that had to sit in little cramped cages. She brought one home and suddenly I had another pet.

I got Dandi (who is my first rabbit) from a shop called Posh Paws. I never actually saw her until my dad bought her, because I couldn't get into the shop, but I went to the shop and waited in the car when she was bought, and she was moving around in the pet carrier in the back of the car. When my dad showed her to me, she certianly looked like a Dandilion, or Dandi for short! :wink:

Ok, all my bunnies are from pet shops. Most of them from the same pet shop!! Oscar was an agouti Dwarf Lop who had some bizarre habits, he unfortunately passed away at 2 ish, Jasper was his partner in crime. She is still with me and very healthy and living it up at 6 years old. Apart from having a few saggy bits here and there you wouldn't think she is 6.
Although I have had bunnies in my life for 6 years I didn't know a thing about resuce until about 4 years ago and even then finding a rescue around Aberdeen was difficult, there just simply wasn't a rescue around.
I have discovered in the last year or so that Mrs Murray's Cat and Dog home do rehome rabbits for the SSPCA here. They won't look at me for rehoming though as my lot are strictly indoors and I have no access to a garden anymore (when I asked an employee why rabbits are to outdoor homes only the reply was simply cause they belong outside! They also quite happily hand rabbits over as kids pets with no homechecks would actually call them a rescue as such) If I was to go there weekend after weekend I may be lucky enough to find a rabbit which has come in as a house rabbit, which they may consider rehoming to me! Other than Mrs Murrays there is PAWSS, somewhere around here but um...... thats as far as rescue goes in Aberdeen well to my knowledge.

Angela

Back