• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about thin rabbits and pts

lucy24

Mama Doe
So following from my thread about my poorly Charlie I was thinking. is there a point when a rabbit is so thin it's better to pts? Would you do so even if they seem bright? Imnot going to yet because Charlie seems happy. But is being thin painful for him? If he keeps losing weight surely it's not fair? I feel so torn and sad :cry:

I don't know what Charlie's back story is or about any health problems he has, but on the face of it, if he is eating, pooping, peeing and seems happy - it may be that his thinness is upsetting you more than him?

Most of us know the stress of knowing the 'right' time. I struggle every time without fail. I am sure someone else will come along to offer advice.

I'm in a similar position - my Elphie Flump is skinny (her 7th birthday is in January) and it's awful to see her in such a state. However, she is also happy, outgoing, eating like a trooper and exhibiting no signs of being in discomfort.

At the moment, I'm feeding her individually and she's getting alfalfa hay daily in order to try and boost her weight for the winter. With Elphie, I take each day as it comes. As long as she's acting like her "usual" self, I'm happy, as such.

Has he had a full health check recently? Teeth? Full blood screen - check liver and kidney function, etc.?

If everything comes back within normal ranges, I would look at food to bulk him up a bit - some people use junior or breeder pellets for oldies; bananas or plain porridge oats (dry or with water) are also quite good if they will eat them. A short-term fix to get a bit of extra weight on could be to offer some Recovery food - either by syringe or on a saucer. Try An extra meal a day over a couple of weeks and see how it goes. It also means that should you need to medicate later, that he is happy to be handled and take things from a syringe.

Otherwise, I would just monitor everything and keep him happy and healthy for as long as possible. If something changes, take him back to the vet to catch it early.

Back