• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbits - males together?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I read something online where someone said in the wild males do not live together at all, which is why bonding two males doesn't often work.

To my knowledge, they live in big social structures with multiple males & females?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

In 'the Private life of the rabbit' which was a book studying rabbits in the 1950s/1960s, they showed that male rabbits generally can be part of the same warren but during breeding season they do tend to avoid each other and keep their distance from each other, else they will fight badly. Instead of thinking of a warren as a house, think of it as a village - it contains streets and individual housing chambers, so it's quite possible for male bunnies to live in the same warren (village) but not in the same actual part of the burrow. The book also showed though that out of breeding season, they would hoik their testicles back up inside and live together for warmth during winter. If you think it sounds an interesting book and fancy buying a copy, be warned, it is fascinating but also quite disturbing in a matter-of-fact 1950s biologist type way.

Thanks Santa . Great info.
I'll put it on a Christmas list as sounds interesting.
Takes a fair amount to disturb me, and I'm aware how things were back then so I should be okay (thanks for the warning)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I've got that book and it's well worth reading! I would imagine that the males in a warren have a definite hierarchy - I would love to be able to study rabbits in the wild!

The bigger problem with pets is we confine them to comparatively small spaces, so there isn't room for two separate territories or for one male to back up and get out the way to show they aren't offering a challenge. If you look at how wild rabbits spread themselves out just during grazing, having room to have that much space between is uncommon in a domestic setting.

Male wild rabbits from different families would live adjacent to each other and within families they'd have room to get out the way if another male was on the war path.

Back