• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet Patch Below Eye / updated .. more questions towards end of thread ..

cara

Alpha Buck
Rather like Robin (someone else's thread!) so imagine advice will be much the same.

So, Teddy has had a UTI, successfully treated with bayril. On Wednesday he had his myxi vac and was perfectly fine.

Friday I noticed his fur, below his eye, was really wet - I thought it was a drop of water on my hand but realised it was, slightly, sort of 'tacky'. It is clear, not discoloured.

Rang the vets today, who advised not an emergency - bathe and see how it goes over the weekend. He is perfectly ok in himself. I have noticed a tiny white spot on the inside rim of his eye, if that has any significance?

Possibly get him to the vets tomorrow, if necessary? The emergency vets do have a walk in clinic, on a Sunday, at regular rates (but not necessarily a rabbit expert vet). The eye problem has come out of the blue as not had any eye related issues previously. Teddy is a mature rabbit :lol:

Last edited:
Rather like Robin (someone else's thread!) so imagine advice will be much the same.

So, Teddy has had a UTI, successfully treated with bayril. On Wednesday he had his myxi vac and was perfectly fine.

Friday I noticed his fur, below his eye, was really wet - I thought it was a drop of water on my hand but realised it was, slightly, sort of 'tacky'. It is clear, not discoloured.

Rang the vets today, who advised not an emergency - bathe and see how it goes over the weekend. He is perfectly ok in himself. I have noticed a tiny white spot on the inside rim of his eye, if that has any significance?

Possibly get him to the vets tomorrow, if necessary? The emergency vets do have a walk in clinic, on a Sunday, at regular rates (but not necessarily a rabbit expert vet). The eye problem has come out of the blue as not had any eye related issues previously. Teddy is a mature rabbit :lol:

the spot you've noticed - it's not a plug of pus, is it?

It sounds like a blocked tear duct to me ( dacryocystitis )

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

I wouldn't go to an emergency vet. A good rabbit vet can flush a tear duct without need for a GA (I am able to do this at home). Sometimes a tooth root can impinge on the tear duct, causing a blockage. Sometimes a drop in the immune system can do the same, and they need time and tlc to pick up again.

Bathe in cooled boiled water, with a pinch of salt added. Also, you can hold a warm compress just under the eye to help any gunk to come out of the tear duct :)

Is the white spot on the conjunctiva, like a little pimple or is it in the very corner of his eye by his nasolacrimal duct ?

It is probably just a minor infection which can be easily treated with antibiotic eye drops. If the Vet thinks the nasolacrimal duct is blocked then he/she may suggest flushing it to attempt to clear it. As you will note from the following link, nasolacrimal duct flushing is a delicate procedure and whether or not it can be done on a conscious Rabbit depends on the individual case. If your Vet feels sedation to be appropriate it has nothing to do with the competence of your Vet, quite the opposite.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/Nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

In 'more mature' (!! :lol:) Rabbits tooth root elongation can cause a runny eye, the elongated root presses on the nasolacrimal duct thus preventing normal drainage and subsequently a runny eye. Infection and inflammation can also occur.

I hope Robin gets on OK at the Vets :)

One of my previous rabbits often needed drops for runny eyes.
It would also be worth getting a teeth check done .

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Teddy had his UTI just a couple of weeks or so ago. He has perked up amazingly since a course of antibiotics which shows just how bad he must have been feeling. I have wondered about a possible reaction to his myxi vac.

I am taking him to the vets tomorrow so will let you all know how he gets on. Hoping for an easy solution. Feel I have never been away from the vets just recently!

Is the white spot on the conjunctiva, like a little pimple or is it in the very corner of his eye by his nasolacrimal duct ?

It is probably just a minor infection which can be easily treated with antibiotic eye drops. If the Vet thinks the nasolacrimal duct is blocked then he/she may suggest flushing it to attempt to clear it. As you will note from the following link, nasolacrimal duct flushing is a delicate procedure and whether or not it can be done on a conscious Rabbit depends on the individual case. If your Vet feels sedation to be appropriate it has nothing to do with the competence of your Vet, quite the opposite.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/Nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

In 'more mature' (!! :lol:) Rabbits tooth root elongation can cause a runny eye, the elongated root presses on the nasolacrimal duct thus preventing normal drainage and subsequently a runny eye. Infection and inflammation can also occur.

I hope Robin gets on OK at the Vets :)

The spot isn't near the tear ducts but more central, just under the eyelid.

The spot isn't near the tear ducts but more central, just under the eyelid.

I've seen that sort of thing before. It could be nothing - just a small growth. I hope your vet can sort it out, if anything needs doing about it :)

Spot on Jacks-Jane - Isathal prescribed. She gave Teddy a very thorough check and nothing else at this point, to be concerned about.

Hopefully 2 doses a day (1 week), will see an improvement although not relishing dishing it out!

Thanks for all the replies :wave:

Spot on Jacks-Jane - Isathal prescribed. She gave Teddy a very thorough check and nothing else at this point, to be concerned about.

Hopefully 2 doses a day (1 week), will see an improvement although not relishing dishing it out!

Good old Isathal !! Glad to hear that there is nothing more to cause concern and hopefully the eye infection will respond well to treatment x

You're welcome :D Good luck with the eye drops! xx

Day 4 of twice a day eye drops and Teddys fur is still wet. Am applying ointment for 1 week so few days to go, but at this stage am wondering if it should have improved?

Course it could just be that after wiping the area, it is not drying out but not sure. He remains perfectly perfect in other ways :love:

Day 4 of twice a day eye drops and Teddys fur is still wet. Am applying ointment for 1 week so few days to go, but at this stage am wondering if it should have improved?

Course it could just be that after wiping the area, it is not drying out but not sure. He remains perfectly perfect in other ways :love:

My vet always says with Isathal that there should be significant improvement within 48 hours. I should ring the surgery and tell them there has been no change ...

Rang vet for advice, who has suggested extending drops to 10 days. In my heart of hearts though, I don't feel there is any improvement as have wiped fur this evening as it is quite wet on the tissue.

Don't see any point in going to vets tomorrow as def not a rabbit expert on duty but will go Monday if no improvement.

What would anybody see as next step by vet. To stress, I do think he had a really thorough check initially including teeth (as far as can be seen with a scope), dye to check for damage to the pupil (I think) and inspection of his eye which she noticed a milky discharge (which is clear on tissue). Otherwise, Teddy is fine in himself including eating, pooping and peeing.

Previous to this, a couple of weeks previously, he was treated with Baytril for a UTI (protein was found in his urine which was sludgy) but this has cleared up. A couple of days before his fur appeared wet, he has his myxi vac.

Otherwise he has never had teeth, eye or urine issues.

Any thoughts? :?

I don't just know ... but a very small part of me does wonder about myxi :(.

Just the look of his eye. Nothing else is untoward. If he did have myxi, would it not now be developing and more obvious? (9 days since I first noticed his wet eye). We have been to the vets and teddy is regularly vaccinated - booster a couple of days before wet eye.

I will take him back to the vets on Mon as no rabbit expert ones available till then.

The only other thing - I do have baytril left from his recent UTI .. it would be naughty of me, but would anybody be tempted to start giving it, just in case?

I don't just know ... but a very small part of me does wonder about myxi :(.

Just the look of his eye. Nothing else is untoward. If he did have myxi, would it not now be developing and more obvious? (9 days since I first noticed his wet eye). We have been to the vets and teddy is regularly vaccinated - booster a couple of days before wet eye.

I will take him back to the vets on Mon as no rabbit expert ones available till then.

The only other thing - I do have baytril left from his recent UTI .. it would be naughty of me, but would anybody be tempted to start giving it, just in case?

I very much doubt that it's Myxi. I suspect that the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) is blocked. This could be due to inflammation within the duct and/or to elongated tooth roots. Elongated tooth roots can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs.

I very much doubt that it's Myxi. I suspect that the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) is blocked. This could be due to inflammation within the duct and/or to elongated tooth roots. Elongated tooth roots can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs.

Thanks Jack's-Jane :) The vet did consider blocked duct but thought as the fluid is so watery it was unlikely to be blocked. What would expect to be next step if no improvement by Monday?

Back