• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cage time after Spay

shivbo2014

Young Bun
Hi Miffy was spayed on Monday and had been confined to her cage since then. She is doing great, her wound is healing nicely and she's eating normally but she seems realllly fed up staying in her cage and keeps trying to escape. The care sheet from the vet said to confine her for 2 weeks!! Do you think she needs to be kept in for that long? Or could I let her have a little run about sooner? Also I have been giving her metacam every morning. I was going to stop today do you think that's OK? The vet was a bit vague about how long to keep giving it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It should be fine to stop the Metacam now and should be ok for her to wander round a bit but try to stop her jumping onto anything. Pleased she is doing well.

I feel so guilty locking her up. Well I just opened her cage and she's binkying around everywhere. I hope she doesn't over excert herself 🙈

I think I'll pop her back in soon she's getting a bit too excited to be out!

Hi Miffy was spayed on Monday and had been confined to her cage since then. She is doing great, her wound is healing nicely and she's eating normally but she seems realllly fed up staying in her cage and keeps trying to escape. The care sheet from the vet said to confine her for 2 weeks!! Do you think she needs to be kept in for that long? Or could I let her have a little run about sooner? Also I have been giving her metacam every morning. I was going to stop today do you think that's OK? The vet was a bit vague about how long to keep giving it.

With my last spay, I waited for the three day check up, then another day or so, then she went out in the garden. It was dry and sunny mind :D No harm in being cautious - use your judgment. If she's a jumper then restrict more than otherwise I would say x

Mine were done on Thursday and had their 1st check up today. I asked when is ok to let them out and she said hopefully after their next check in a weeks time but if they are desperate to get out they can be let out in a small space to stretch their legs but not get too giddy x

I only kept the girls shut in for the first 48hrs then let them out as normal,but altering access to the cage so no jumping etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well she's been out since earlier and apart from a mental 10 minutes she's just pottered about no jumping or anything to strenuous. Such a worrier when it comes to her it's like having a second child lol. Thanks for all the advice x

Back