• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis, Odds of survival

ProtonZero

New Kit
Hi all,
Hate this to be my first post, but my Netherland Dwarf bunny of 6 months is at the vet right now and I'm worried about the little guys chances of survival. Yesterday his eating behavior changed, but he was eating, so I didn't worry about it too much. This morning he refused to eat anything, I picked him up and he was really bloated, so I rushed him to the vet. He's got a little lump in his intestine and is bloated, but his temperature is fine and his behavior is pretty normal. They're going to treat him all day and have given him fluids, x-ray, etc. Just wondering what the little guys survival chances are. Would be devastating to lose him.

Also, his diet is the same as my other 3 buns, but he's a picky eater: Pellets, dried pear and apple sticks/leaves (from our tree), romaine lettuce (which he never eats), cilantro, dried carrot tops, and lots of timothy, orchard, botanical and oat hays. His best buddy is pretty furry and I'm wondering if he just went a little crazy with the grooming and ingested too much hair.

Hello

I am sorry that one of your Rabbits is poorly. As he is at the Vets having diagnostics and appropriate treatment then hopefully his chances are good. It may take a lot of treatment over a few days, but recovery is possible. This link provides you with some good information about GI Stasis and it's treatment

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that your Rabbit will soon be feeling a lot better :)

Hi all,
Hate this to be my first post, but my Netherland Dwarf bunny of 6 months is at the vet right now and I'm worried about the little guys chances of survival. Yesterday his eating behavior changed, but he was eating, so I didn't worry about it too much. This morning he refused to eat anything, I picked him up and he was really bloated, so I rushed him to the vet. He's got a little lump in his intestine and is bloated, but his temperature is fine and his behavior is pretty normal. They're going to treat him all day and have given him fluids, x-ray, etc. Just wondering what the little guys survival chances are. Would be devastating to lose him.

Also, his diet is the same as my other 3 buns, but he's a picky eater: Pellets, dried pear and apple sticks/leaves (from our tree), romaine lettuce (which he never eats), cilantro, dried carrot tops, and lots of timothy, orchard, botanical and oat hays. His best buddy is pretty furry and I'm wondering if he just went a little crazy with the grooming and ingested too much hair.

Welcome to the Forum, and I'm sorry to hear about your bunny.

To be honest, with good vet treatment, I see no reason at all to doubt that he will make a full recovery :D It's important to take them to the vet straight away - some people don't, and prompt treatment is what saves their lives. So well done you!

There's some reading here - written by Dana Krempels and it's helped me on many an occasion:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Thanks for all the information and well wishes--and a special thanks to you, MightyMax, for the dose of optimism I needed. I can be such a cast-iron ******* in real life, but these little guys are my friggin' kryptonite. Just cannot stand to see them suffer. I'll read up on the links and keep you all posted.

Thanks for all the information and well wishes--and a special thanks to you, MightyMax, for the dose of optimism I needed. I can be such a cast-iron ******* in real life, but these little guys are my friggin' kryptonite. Just cannot stand to see them suffer. I'll read up on the links and keep you all posted.

Aww, I know just what you mean! It is good you spotted it and your little bunny is having treatment, sending get well wishes your way xxx

So far so good. I read that pineapple juice is recommended for breaking up blockages....but can't imagine what might happen when all that sugar hits his system (he's never had anything sweet in his life aside from affection). Anyone have any experience with pineapple juice (or Papaya supplements)?

My buns have had quite a few stasis episodes and blockages and with good vet care and correct meds they all recovered each time. Pineapple juice contains Bromelain which is an enzyme which can help break down a blockage particularly if it's a furball type blockage. People have different opinions on using it due to the sugar and risk of stomach upset. But the one time i did use it I actually thought it did help and speed things up. Must be fresh Pineapple juice though not pasturised. But I don't feel comfortable to actually recommend it just in case. I hope your bun improves soon.

Hey you're really welcome :wave:

We've all been there .. I once had a bunny who was in stasis for 11 days. He was right as rain afterwards :D

My buns have had quite a few stasis episodes and blockages and with good vet care and correct meds they all recovered each time. Pineapple juice contains Bromelain which is an enzyme which can help break down a blockage particularly if it's a furball type blockage. People have different opinions on using it due to the sugar and risk of stomach upset. But the one time i did use it I actually thought it did help and speed things up. Must be fresh Pineapple juice though not pasturised. But I don't feel comfortable to actually recommend it just in case. I hope your bun improves soon.

Yes, what pineapple juice does is break down the mucous holding the hair together (furball) and so enable it to pass. Some vets recommend it, and others just don't think it does any good. Unless your rabbit has an ulcer (mouth or stomach) it's unlikely to do any harm. But yes there are sugars - however, Avipro probiotic (sold for rabbits) contains just as much if not more sugar!

Zero is back home, but he's super bloated. X-Ray was inconclusive; temperature is normal. Giving him anti-gas medicine, oxbow critical care and tummy rubs.

Yes. Things are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. He's still feisty and, after a couple doses of anti-gas, the balloon in his stomach has deflated. He still has no appetite, but Oxbow + water + syringe is working.

Yes. Things are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. He's still feisty and, after a couple doses of anti-gas, the balloon in his stomach has deflated. He still has no appetite, but Oxbow + water + syringe is working.

It's good news that he has some output. Did the Vet check Zero's teeth to see if his GI tract problems are secondary to Dental problems ? Also, did the Vet prescribe pain relief for you to administer to Zero ? A Rabbit in pain, whatever the cause, will not eat.

I hope that Zero will continue to recover xx

This sounds like things are definitely moving in the right direction (no pun intended!)

As Nickybunny says - is he on any gut stimulant meds? That would help throughput.

Keep the faith ProtonZero - all will be well :D

Zero is doing well. He's on critical care, though the dose seems mighty high for his size. The vet gave him some yesterday before he left and said to feed him 3 syringes full (not sure how much is in 'em, but it seems like quite a bit compared to his body size). I've been giving him 1/3 of what she said (because he got super bloated after she fed him) and he seems much better (and is eating on his own, peeing and pooping, too).

Teeth checked out, no dental problems. No idea what could have caused this. I do use the odor killing liquid in their water....perhaps my gf or I put too much in and, being picky as he is, he preferred dehydration over the taste. ??? In any case, he's on the road to recovery and I've learned a lesson in just how fragile these little banana-grabbers lives are.

Back