• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor Run: Wire Mesh on Grass?

LivvyBunny

New Kit
So, I've recently constructed a rabbit run (although I am yet to put a roof on it) and my three rabbits are going to move in soon.
Currently, they are in pens, with just grass as flooring. Because of this, they like to dig burrows and leave holes in my yard - even though they're all spayed/neutered.
I have heard of rabbits getting sore feet when on only wire, but if the wire is placed on grass, will they still get sore feet?

P.S. The wire is about 1inch x 1inch

Won't the grass turn to mud? Rabbits can dig up wire if there are any gaps at the edge and if they are put in a small run they will try to get out or dig a burrow as they don't feel safe enough. Can you not make the garden safe so they can run around the whole of it?

If the wire is just laying on top of the grass, they will get sore feet.
I'd recommend digging down and laying wire under the grass.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Rabbits will dig - that's what rabbits do.

Mesh on top of the grass should be OK as long as the grass is fairly flat, otherwise they may trap toes / feet in the wire as they run around. I've done it with fairly big, thick mesh so they could eat the grass but not physically get through the holes. They still managed to dig up some earth, but not enough to escape. I suppose smaller mesh would stop that.

The other option is to re-lay grass on top of the mesh. Then they can't dig through it and there is no risk to toes - but it's a bigger job and limits where the runs can go. If the wire is attacked to the run, it means they can be moved around as needed.

If they are diggers, I would give them something that they can dig in safely and still be happy bunnies - once you have stopped them digging up the lawn eg a child's sandpit full of soil.

Won't the grass turn to mud? Rabbits can dig up wire if there are any gaps at the edge and if they are put in a small run they will try to get out or dig a burrow as they don't feel safe enough. Can you not make the garden safe so they can run around the whole of it?

I'll try to move it around as much as possible to prevent the grass turning into mud - however it is really heavy to move :oops: .
The run is large, and they're only in it when I'm not home to supervise them around the dogs - although they'll have time in a large fenced off area when I am home :)

If the wire is just laying on top of the grass, they will get sore feet.
I'd recommend digging down and laying wire under the grass.

Damn, I was worried about them getting sore feet :(
The ground at the moment is like rock hard, so digging the grass up is not an option - although I could buy some rolls of grass at my local hardware store? :D

Rabbits will dig - that's what rabbits do.

Mesh on top of the grass should be OK as long as the grass is fairly flat, otherwise they may trap toes / feet in the wire as they run around. I've done it with fairly big, thick mesh so they could eat the grass but not physically get through the holes. They still managed to dig up some earth, but not enough to escape. I suppose smaller mesh would stop that.

The other option is to re-lay grass on top of the mesh. Then they can't dig through it and there is no risk to toes - but it's a bigger job and limits where the runs can go. If the wire is attacked to the run, it means they can be moved around as needed.

If they are diggers, I would give them something that they can dig in safely and still be happy bunnies - once you have stopped them digging up the lawn eg a child's sandpit full of soil.

Yeah, I think I'm going to buy some rolls of grass to put ontop of the mesh as to prevent them getting sore feet :) Although, do you know if they'll dig up the grass I put in the run??
Great idea of the digging sandpit! I will try that :D Will bought soil just be fine to put in there? I'm guessing one without manure??

Back