• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Escaped rabbits - advice needed

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So walking OH to work today and we decided to take another route.
Walked past a garden and there were two rabbits loose. (One lion head & one dwarf/mini lop).

OH thought nothing of it but I had to stop. The situation didn't seem right. It's a front garden with lots of gaps everywhere.
Tried to knock but no answer so asked a passerby. Turns out they've been loose in the area for around a week.

It's not possible for me to catch them. It's too open and they seem weary of people.

I'm not sure what the RSPCA will do, and dog warden wouldn't deal with this either.

I'm just worried as winter is approaching and there are foxes & birds of prey here as we have a nature reserve. They seem to stick together so must be a bonded pair.

What can i/should I do?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sorry. Two lion heads

4af1819eee8b0250efff321ccce13ac7.jpg

Just stopped a cat from attacking them

I agree they need to be caught, but what a difficult position you are in:( You can't just trespass on this land and also what would you do with them if you did catch them?

ETA I think if you get no answer from that house, I would try knocking either side. Perhaps one of the neighbours would help you catch them. Or they may actually know whose rabbits they are.

Last edited:
I tried Knocking. No one would answer - it's all elderly housing there.
They disappeared after I scared the cat off, not sure where they've gone but they're both quick and because of where they are I don't think I'll catch them.
I coukd try but if I did catch them, where would I put them?
I have two house rabbit and no where to house them outside as I don't have any hutches. I can't have them inside as I can't risk a bond breakdown of my two.

I wish I'd never spotted them or investigated.
My anxiety is through the roof & I have a job interview today ans I just want to cry.

I wish I'd never spotted them or investigated.
My anxiety is through the roof & I have a job interview today ans I just want to cry.

I'm sorry this has happened. I would feel the same, had it have happened to me :( I would stand no chance of catching them and also I would not have anywhere to put them. I would deal with it in the same way as I would if I had seen a rabbit needing a home in PAH (that's why I never go in) or had seen a terrible advert on Gumtree etc. Wanting to help and do something is not the same as being able to do something. They are not your responsibility, although I realise how distressing it is.

What time's your interview? I know it's hard, but you must really try to concentrate on that.

It's at 1:15.

OH has agreed we'll go try and catch them tonight after he finishes work. We can stick them in a dog crate in the spare room for one night until RSPCA can collect.

I'd go and try now but I stand no chance catching them by myself will all the gaps etc they can get through.

Have you got any pen panels or similar? Last year we went to catch a stray rabbit out on a piece of common land and we set up a number of pen panels in a curve, so that we could then herd the bunny in and pull the panels round to pen her in - pretty much like a sheepdog would. Good luck x

Yeah we do but it's people's front gardens.

I just went back armed with pellets. Both no where to be seen. As they've been there for a week we're guessing that they escape their run without owner knowing and go back as they seemed to stick to just the two front gardens, not heading onto the big grass land next to them, or even other neighbours gardens.

We'll go check tonight and if there we'll try to catch but as they've lasted a week I think they're probably going back to their hutch/run.

I walked the whole open grass area + surrounding area and there is no sign of a rabbit burrow, no sign of recent rabbit droppings. They also didn't seem to leave any droppings isn't the front gardens. There's nothing to indicate rabbits in that area full stop.

Having thought of that as a possibility, my anxiety has decreased. I did have a rabbit that used to do that and I only found out because I went out early one day and found her sat outside the run, then she was in the run. She'd dug a secret tunnel out.

We'll check tonight and I'll post some flyers through local doors informing them of rabbits seen running lose incase they are secretly escaping.

Good plan :thumb: I hope your interview goes well. At least you'll have something interesting to say if they ask what you're doing the rest of the day :)

All the best for your interview.

As for the rabbits - I would post flyers through as many doors near where you have seen them as possible, and put up a dozen posters on nearby streets. They may have escaped, or been dumped or stolen. Someone may be looking for them but won't know where they are, especially if they have been stolen / dumped. For the house owners where you have seen them - offer to help catch them, or find out if they know anything about them - probably via a nice friendly / concerned for bunny welfare note through the door.

Otherwise - often there are local groups on Facebook - either local interest ones or animal ones - doesn't really matter - blitz them all asking if anyone has lost a couple of fluffs recently and can anyone help catch them? Someone may know something, or know the people living where the buns are. Facebook sites tend to get things moving, but people living nearby may respond better to posters (eg elderly walking dogs and don't 'do' FB).

With lost dogs round here, FB gets people out looking, but it is the locals (often elderly or kids) who tend to have seen them / know where they are from. A combination of all methods tends to get the best results.

Good luck with the rabbits as well.

I tried Knocking. No one would answer - it's all elderly housing there.
They disappeared after I scared the cat off, not sure where they've gone but they're both quick and because of where they are I don't think I'll catch them.
I coukd try but if I did catch them, where would I put them?
I have two house rabbit and no where to house them outside as I don't have any hutches. I can't have them inside as I can't risk a bond breakdown of my two.

I would report to the R.S.P.C.A. This is just the sort of thing they do (or *should* be doing).

They should come out immediately and help ...

And good luck for your interview dp! You are kind and caring, and this will shine through :D

I'm no expert but my 1st thought was "call RSPCA".
As MightyMax said they really should do something.
Good luck with interview and buns[emoji106] [emoji106]

Unfortunately this will not be an RSPCA Emergency. I would contact your local branch and ask to borrow a humane cat trap :)

It really wouldn't surprise me if they are escaping & returning to base - possibly with the knowledge of their owners. As a child - teenager my OH had a pair of unspayed girls, they lived in a hutch within an enclosure but had free access to the whole garden. With some regularity they escaped the garden & were found down the ten foots by neighbours. They live on a main road in Hull. They ate freely whatever was in the garden. No vet visits ever. No vaccinations. Whereas this is all really scary stuff & totally irresponsible by todays rabbit keeping standards his bunnies lived to 11 & 12 years. Of course these words I attempt to offer reassurance with did not stop me staying up til 2am in the garden when Joey refused to come in:shock:

A shout out to your local RSPCA's / any rescues can't hurt. Boo was found wandering & I adopted her from the RSPCA. A few leaflets sounds good too.

Back