• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neutering care advice please

Kim_w

Mama Doe
My girls are going in to be neutered tomorrow. :shock:

Is there anything I particularly should or shouldn't do when they come home.

My husband suggested letting them stay in the house tomorrow night in the carry box now the temp has dropped but I thought maybe it would upset them more as they don't come in the house. The rescue I got them from said they should be ok outside as they are used to the outside temps.

They have a ramp going from their hutch down into their run. How long post op should I keep the trap door shut for? They shoot up and down the ramp normally.

Do you put anything soft like a folded blanket down in their hutch for them to lie on or is it too much of a risk of them eating it.

Any advice much appreciated. I have only had a male done before and he lived in the house anyway so was cosy the night of his op.

Hi, when I had our girls done they were done in November. They were brought indoors for 2 weeks on vet advice (they were 6 months old so didn't mind living in for a while) so we could keep a close eye on them and they weren't allowed to climb or jump on anything for that amount of time.

Ensure you come home with a good few days' worth of pain relief for each of them. They probably won't eat much the first 24hrs but make sure the food and water is easily accessible - I offered the water to them regularly rather than them having to move around to get it and they did drink from the bottle (a bonus as they were inside so I could do it regularly for that first 24hrs). It doesn't matter what they eat when they first come home, so long as they nibble something. Ours were kept in a dog crate and weren't allowed out of it for 48hrs, giving them no chance to pull stitches/strain themselves. After that they were allowed to stretch their legs as it were for a little bit in the utility under super strict supervision so they didn't climb the shoe rack or pile of laundry! As the days progressed they were allowed out for longer. Keeping them indoors for so long also allowed us easy observation of their wounds, which healed perfectly.

Some may say keeping them in for 2 weeks wasn't necessary and maybe they're right, but we did it on vet advice and suffered no problems whatsoever, so it's up to you.

Do not allow your does to go up the ramp in their hutch for at least a week, however, that's my personal opinion. If they over-stretch they could tear their wound open and then they'll be in trouble. It's not worth it. The longer you can keep them off the ramp, the better. Once ours were back outside after the 2 weeks, they were straight back up their ramp and back to normal and were absolutely fine, so I would actually recommend 2 weeks to heal - it worked for us.

As for the blanket, not sure on that as it depends on whether your rabbits are nibblers or not. I used the puppy pad that came with the dog crate and found that to be quite suitable. Don't use hay or straw as it could jab their wound and make it bleed or infected. Quite a few people on here use blankets I think, so you should be okay. Be prepared for them to wee all over it though!

When you bring them home, get a heat pad for them as they'll probably be a bit cold from the shock of the op. Make sure they can move away from it though if they get too warm.

Sorry these points are all random, it's how they're coming into my head - it's been 4.5yrs since our girls were done!

Things not to do? Don't over fuss them when they come home, they'll be knackered, sore, and upset. I draped a dust sheet over half of the cage, to kind of make them feel a bit safer. Move quietly but not silently - don't want to frighten them if you suddenly appear around a corner! And just lots of TLC that first 24hrs, then back to normal. Encourage them to eat but don't panic if they don't. If they don't eat the next day however, you need to ring the vet.

I think that's about it to be honest. It's good you're getting them done at the same time though, so they can recover together.

Good luck and try not to worry too much :)

Last edited:
Thankyou that is great advice. I haven't got a dog crate or anything like that but the carry box would be ok for a night or 2 . What kind of heat pad did you use? Are they available in supermarkets? Wish I would have posted this last week now don't feel organised at all.

Feel so nervous for them now discussing all this :( My poor babies

You're welcome :)

Yes, the carry box will be okay - don't forget to stuff hay in there and fasten the water bottle to the door though. Simple things, but easily forgotten!

No, the heat pads aren't available in supermarkets as far as I know. They're called Snuggle Safes and usually get them online but shop around as the price varies, as does the P&P to go with it. They average at £12 each.

You will be nervous but try not to be. It's a good thing you are doing because if you don't, they'll fight. Simple. Also, you will be preventing them from getting uterine cancer later in life which is extremely common with pet does. You are doing the right thing :)

Amazon sell the heat pads £13.99 free delivery by the look of it.

Try eBay.

One site is selling them for £24! Don't get that one, :lol:

I've used a cotton sack filled with rice then heated in the microwave, before I had a snuggle safe. Works well, just doesn't stay warm for as long.
eta: That would be dry uncooked rice just to clarify.

This link also has some good tips for post op care. Important thing is monitoring their eating/drinking. If it hasn't happened by the next morning (or sooner if advised by the vet), phone the vet. You will likely need to start syringe feeding recovery food.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Last edited:
Hi, they are doing OK. I've kept them in the house tonight in their carry box. One is still very sleepy but the other is quite alert and has been out the box for a wander (and a wee on my rug) the sleepy one came out for a drink but went back in.
I have closed the door on their box and left them downstairs. They have a bowl of water, bowl of pellets, Apple, carrots, spring greens and hay so hopefully they will have eaten by morning.
I'm going to put them in their hutch in the morning with a towel over some of the straw so they can choose what to sit on. Poor babies x

I have put them into their hutch this morning. They seem pleased to be there. One of them went straight for a wee. There was about 10 poos in the carry box they slept in last night all but about 3 in the same place so I think they could all be from the same bun. Flopsy popped her head out the box this morning and Bunny cam out for a wander.
In the hutch they are both sat quietly. I haven't seen them eat yet . Temped Bunny with a lick of baby food but Flopsy still not interested, she has remained the most sleepy out of the 2. The vets said if the don't eat by this afternoon to take them back. I am giving them their medicine at 10.30am when a 2nd pair of hands arrives to help then am going to work until 2 so I am hoping when they have had more pain relief they eat. If not I will phone the vets as soon as I am home from work.

Is there anything else I can temp them with? I have never given them anything other that pellets, veg, fruit and obviously hay. Are any forbiden foods like toast better than nothing in this situation or could it upset ther tummy even more?

We have poo. 😊 I'm so happy. They are both quite chirpy at the min.
I relieved. Was so fed up at work earlier x

Hi, no, don't give them toast or bread, it'll just swell when it gets wet in their gut and can cause blockages.

Herbs, fruit (tiny pieces), hay, pull or cut some grass, veg, stuff they normally eat, their favourite treats, anything to encourage them to eat is fine for the first 24/48hrs but then they should be back to normal.

How are they now as I've not been on RU all day.

Being chirpy is good :)

They seem even better this evening. More poos in the hutch. I got them some mint from the supermarket and the started eating that straight away.
I am leaving them out tonight as they seem very settled in their hutch. They have their post op check tomorrow afternoon .
I can't put into words how relieved I am they are eating, pooing and seem to be returning to their inquisitive selves.

Back