• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why does Baytril go cloudy?

I don't know, why does Baytril go cloudy? Where are the RU chemists . Why does Metacam run out ?(I am miffed I have no in date metacam, I wouldn't use it willy nilly but it did reassure me to know it was there)

I don't find Metacam keeps very well either (although old Metacam is better than nowt, of course!)

I always find when it's given to me in those orange plastic containers, it gets cloudy. I have some now in brown glass bottle - so it will be interesting to see if the same thing happens. This was only dispensed on tuesday so it's too early to tell yet.

Oxidisation? It seems to happen really fast too. :?

Yes I agree. My vet doles it out in brown plastic bottles and it's always cloudy.

Metacam - my vet advises to use it even 18 months/3 years after expiry as she has said people still find it works. I haven't tried, so I don't know

As with all meds, you need to make sure that is is not contaminated when you use it, eg by using only clean, dry syringes and not putting excess back into the bottle. A cool, dark cupboard is usually the best place for storage, unless the label says keep in the fridge.

Back