• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can the change in weather cause anything respiratory? UD Page 2

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Cookie lives in the conservatory which is usually warm. However since the weather has changed the past few days it has felt colder/almost damp in her room as I hadn't yet put her heater on full time only for 20 mins at a time to take the chill out of the air (and condensation out of the windows).

Today I have noticed she is breathing faster when resting. Obviously this has rang huge alarm bells as this was the very first symptom our little Frankie had when we lost her to tumours in her chest, which was actually this time last year. It's made me cry (alot!) just thinking about it and I really need to pull myself together as I don't want to cry at the vets!!

I think I jinxed us as just a few days ago said that Cookie has never really given us any health issues. She is the laziest rabbit I have ever had, but apart from that not much at all. She is 6, spayed and has had all vacs except the new one (the vet didn't have it yet when I last went in to ask. Although that was probably a month ago now).

Apart from the obvious of having the same as Frankie (could it be that sisters are prone to the same thing?) and I have been reading about heart things on links on other posts and with tonibuns lovely Saffron, Is there much chance that it is something as simple as the air in her room has caused something respiratory? and can it even be fixed? I am not feeling very confident at all :(

I can't help but think this is the start of the end like we had with Frankie and I can't handle it in the slightest :( Can my little Cookie have some RU vibes please? Her appointment is just after 6 :(

Last edited:
Cookie lives in the conservatory which is usually warm. However since the weather has changed the past few days it has felt colder/almost damp in her room as I hadn't yet put her heater on full time only for 20 mins at a time to take the chill out of the air (and condensation out of the windows).

Today I have noticed she is breathing faster when resting. Obviously this has rang huge alarm bells as this was the very first symptom our little Frankie had when we lost her to tumours in her chest, which was actually this time last year. It's made me cry (alot!) just thinking about it and I really need to pull myself together as I don't want to cry at the vets!!

I think I jinxed us as just a few days ago said that Cookie has never really given us any health issues. She is the laziest rabbit I have ever had, but apart from that not much at all. She is 6, spayed and has had all vacs except the new one (the vet didn't have it yet when I last went in to ask. Although that was probably a month ago now).

Apart from the obvious of having the same as Frankie (could it be that sisters are prone to the same thing?) and I have been reading about heart things on links on other posts and with tonibuns lovely Saffron, Is there much chance that it is something as simple as the air in her room has caused something respiratory? and can it even be fixed? I am not feeling very confident at all :(

I can't help but think this is the start of the end like we had with Frankie and I can't handle it in the slightest :( Can my little Cookie have some RU vibes please? Her appointment is just after 6 :(

Oh no, I'm so sorry :(

Please don't worry until the vet's had a good sound of her chest and lungs.

The environment can indeed make a big difference to a rabbit, and can trigger off symptoms that weren't there before. But it's also best to get a vet's opinion, and also what to do about the change in weather (if anything)

I'm thinking of you xxx

Sending loads of vibes for Cookie. The outdoor buns have to put up with all kinds of weather and it never bothers them, but if a rabbit has a weakness then I suppose a change in temperature, humidity, etc could.

Thank you everyone. I've just sat wth her and made a video to show the vet as she will be super stressed when we get there which will mask the symptoms. I think it is actually a little bit worse than this morning even. Oh god :(

We are back and she is booked for chest x rays on Friday. The vet (a different one who comes from a small animal practice so hopefully good) said there was no sign of any infection with eyes, nose, mouth and no abnormal lung sounds in any places. She tried to listen to see if there were any different sounds to see if it sounded less hollow in places indicating a mass but couldn't hear one. Her heart rate was very fast though but she was scared. She has held off from starting her on any anti biotics, until she sees the X-ray, and has taken note of sibling history :( but has given her 0.6 ml of dog Metacam to have each day, which is handy as when we got back home she pulled out her entire dewclaw, probably catching it in the carrier, poor girl!! She is to go back ASAP if symptoms change/get worse.

I cried and could barely speak when explaining about Frankie :oops: and forgot to ask about Filavac. dreading Friday, but at least we will know.

We are back and she is booked for chest x rays on Friday. The vet (a different one who comes from a small animal practice so hopefully good) said there was no sign of any infection with eyes, nose, mouth and no abnormal lung sounds in any places. She tried to listen to see if there were any different sounds to see if it sounded less hollow in places indicating a mass but couldn't hear one. Her heart rate was very fast though but she was scared. She has held off from starting her on any anti biotics, until she sees the X-ray, and has taken note of sibling history :( but has given her 0.6 ml of dog Metacam to have each day, which is handy as when we got back home she pulled out her entire dewclaw, probably catching it in the carrier, poor girl!! She is to go back ASAP if symptoms change/get worse.

I cried and could barely speak when explaining about Frankie :oops: and forgot to ask about Filavac. dreading Friday, but at least we will know.

Filavac is the last thing you need worry about :D

You haven't long to wait for those X-rays. Keep her topped up with food and she'll be fine during the GA :D

Yes that is true.

I can't believe this is happening again, almost a year to the day the exact same as with Frankie. It feels so cruel :( I just wish my bunnies would die peacefully in old age and I am so upset they have not had that chance. I thought Cookie was as strong as an Ox and Lola with all her tummy issues would be next. I wasn't expecting this and am certainly not ready for saying goodbye to another furry friend :(

Yes that is true.

I can't believe this is happening again, almost a year to the day the exact same as with Frankie. It feels so cruel :( I just wish my bunnies would die peacefully in old age and I am so upset they have not had that chance. I thought Cookie was as strong as an Ox and Lola with all her tummy issues would be next. I wasn't expecting this and am certainly not ready for saying goodbye to another furry friend :(

I know, it's hard. And it really makes the heart sink, doesn't it?

That seems to be the case with our mysterious little friends. When you aren't looking, something happens out of nowhere. I will never understand them, but I will never give up trying xx Hugs to you xx

Yes that is true.

I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time with Cookie's symptoms. You got her to the vet and now all you can do is wait for the results of her X-ray.
From my experience, I understand that six weeks, six years, or twelve years is not long enough to have a beloved bunny. Try not to get ahead of yourself.
You mentioned that you have a heater for Cookie. Could fumes me coming from the heater that are causing Cookie's problems? Her respiration is faster than ours so any irritant may impact her long before we feel the effects.
Seind you and Cookie some more vibes.

I know, it's hard. And it really makes the heart sink, doesn't it?

That seems to be the case with our mysterious little friends. When you aren't looking, something happens out of nowhere. I will never understand them, but I will never give up trying xx Hugs to you xx

It certainly does. Although this time it feels like some kind of nightmare Groundhog Day. Right down to planning the exact same day trip out with my friend and booking Christmas work and not knowing if/when I can do it due to having a bunny to look after with the exact same symptoms as last year. It is so weird. Thank you xxx

I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time with Cookie's symptoms. You got her to the vet and now all you can do is wait for the results of her X-ray.
From my experience, I understand that six weeks, six years, or twelve years is not long enough to have a beloved bunny. Try not to get ahead of yourself.
You mentioned that you have a heater for Cookie. Could fumes me coming from the heater that are causing Cookie's problems? Her respiration is faster than ours so any irritant may impact her long before we feel the effects.
Seind you and Cookie some more vibes.

Thank you xxx yes she has a heater (a plug in radiator type) for the winter but it hadn't been turned on yet so the air had been damper than normal for a few days. It went from being really warm and dry in there to cold and damp fairly quickly, which I thought may have triggered something. I think now it was just rotten timing & was a bit of a red herring.

Today she is the same, she looks like she is breathing faster when she is resting. I tried to feel her heartbeat and what I think is her heartbeat is feeling fast. Like what if it isn't her chest/lungs at all, it is her heart all along and going under the GA tomorrow will be so dangerous :( can the vet tell before she puts her under? Yesterday she said it was racing and was about 224 but she was stressed from being at the vets so hard to tell.

Is it worth me trying to get her heart rate while she is home and resting? I am guessing I just watch for a minute and count the beats that I can feel? I have Lola here too who I could measure also to make a comparison. :( I think I am just clutching at straws really, just so scared for tomorrow :(

It certainly does. Although this time it feels like some kind of nightmare Groundhog Day. Right down to planning the exact same day trip out with my friend and booking Christmas work and not knowing if/when I can do it due to having a bunny to look after with the exact same symptoms as last year. It is so weird. Thank you

:oops: I've just read this back to myself and realised it might sound like I was complaining I couldn't do things as normal as I have a poorly bunny. I meant it as in due to the upset, and crumbling in to tears at the slightest thing/having to make upsetting PTS decision on a day by day basis etc rather than because she will be a burden until the end. I hope no one thought I meant it that way :oops:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you can buy a digital 'weather station' quite cheaply. This will tell you the temperature and humidity, and can be really helpful for pet rooms.

It certainly does. Although this time it feels like some kind of nightmare Groundhog Day. Right down to planning the exact same day trip out with my friend and booking Christmas work and not knowing if/when I can do it due to having a bunny to look after with the exact same symptoms as last year. It is so weird. Thank you xxx

Thank you xxx yes she has a heater (a plug in radiator type) for the winter but it hadn't been turned on yet so the air had been damper than normal for a few days. It went from being really warm and dry in there to cold and damp fairly quickly, which I thought may have triggered something. I think now it was just rotten timing & was a bit of a red herring.

Today she is the same, she looks like she is breathing faster when she is resting. I tried to feel her heartbeat and what I think is her heartbeat is feeling fast. Like what if it isn't her chest/lungs at all, it is her heart all along and going under the GA tomorrow will be so dangerous :( can the vet tell before she puts her under? Yesterday she said it was racing and was about 224 but she was stressed from being at the vets so hard to tell.

Is it worth me trying to get her heart rate while she is home and resting? I am guessing I just watch for a minute and count the beats that I can feel? I have Lola here too who I could measure also to make a comparison. :( I think I am just clutching at straws really, just so scared for tomorrow :(

It's kind of a shame she couldn't have gone in today to be examined thoroughly, but is her condition stable at the moment?

If I were you, I would get one comparison with Lola, and maybe another tonight, but not stress yourself about something you can't do a thing about. If you feel it's an emergency, then call the vet and get her seen today - well before closing time, as you don't want the emergency vet tonight.

I really feel for you. So difficult and stressful - and the timing :(

have you got rescue remedy? Believe it or not, it can help with breathing issues - albeit temporarily. I know some folk on here are dead set against alternatives, but many of us have found them useful - PM me if you want more details :D

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you can buy a digital 'weather station' quite cheaply. This will tell you the temperature and humidity, and can be really helpful for pet rooms.

I've not heard of those, we have a basic thermometer in there, but I am not sure it is all that accurate. Humidity is definitely something that changes a lot in a conservatory though. I've put her heater on now on a low level to take the chill/damp out of the air. It will probably stay on all winter now to keep it at the same level.

It's kind of a shame she couldn't have gone in today to be examined thoroughly, but is her condition stable at the moment?

If I were you, I would get one comparison with Lola, and maybe another tonight, but not stress yourself about something you can't do a thing about. If you feel it's an emergency, then call the vet and get her seen today - well before closing time, as you don't want the emergency vet tonight.

I really feel for you. So difficult and stressful - and the timing :(

have you got rescue remedy? Believe it or not, it can help with breathing issues - albeit temporarily. I know some folk on here are dead set against alternatives, but many of us have found them useful - PM me if you want more details :D

Yes it is. She looked at the procedures schedule and they were fully booked, they were quite booked up for Friday aswell but she said she wasn't happy to wait until Monday and said to the nurse to make a space for her. She seems stable, no different to yesterday and she is mostly doing her normal Cookie things at the same times. The only thing she has done differently is hasn't gone to sleep with her face smooshed up against her water bowl. She usually does that every day but hasn't the past two.

You mentioned that there is a lot of condensation in the conservatory. Is there any sign of black mould around the window frames etc ? Mould spores can cause respiratory tract problems, Rabbits being especially sensitive as they are obligate nose breathers.

Is her respiratory rate elevated all the time or only when she is lying down ?

Hope all goes well for her Xray tomorrow x

You mentioned that there is a lot of condensation in the conservatory. Is there any sign of black mould around the window frames etc ? Mould spores can cause respiratory tract problems, Rabbits being especially sensitive as they are obligate nose breathers.

Is her respiratory rate elevated all the time or only when she is lying down ?

Hope all goes well for her Xray tomorrow x

Thank you Jane. I am so so nervous for her.

The condensation was only a couple of mornings recently, but those times I put the heater on until it cleared it and switched it off again. There is mould on the beams on the ceiling that I can't reach and it actually grows on the glass itself which I clear off with anti bacterial wipes. My whole home is riddled with it in many places, it is a never ending battle. My own lungs are not great, so that actually makes a lot of sense. Is there treatment for rabbits who have inhaled mould?

I think it is all the time, not just when resting. But I haven't noticed bulging eyes, so hopefully that is a good sign.

Thank you Jane. I am so so nervous for her.

The condensation was only a couple of mornings recently, but those times I put the heater on until it cleared it and switched it off again. There is mould on the beams on the ceiling that I can't reach and it actually grows on the glass itself which I clear off with anti bacterial wipes. My whole home is riddled with it in many places, it is a never ending battle. My own lungs are not great, so that actually makes a lot of sense. Is there treatment for rabbits who have inhaled mould?

I think it is all the time, not just when resting. But I haven't noticed bulging eyes, so hopefully that is a good sign.

To be fair, I battle with the dreaded condensation (and mould) too. I have never had rabbits suffer ill health as a result. So please take that off your list of worries for now!

I have certainly found treatment for rabbits with aspergillosis (farmer's lung) which is a similar condition.

Glad to hear there are no bulging eyes - hope all remains stable over the next 24 hours. For both of you :D

Back