• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss

Kim_w

Mama Doe
I took on a new rabbit about 2 weeks ago. She had a fat pouch under her chin and when you stroked down her back you couldn't feel her "bum bone" like you can in my other 2 girls. Fast forward to today and it occured to me that she was really light when I picked her up. I sat her on my knee and had a good stroke of her and realised I could feel her "bum bone"

She seems to keep her hutch quite clean but leave piles of droppings in the garden, the pellets she came with were the multi coloured ones so I have been gradually swapping her over to my rabbits food so at the min she is picking out the bits she likes. She doesn't seem to eat masses of hay but likes grass (although doesn't have constant access to the garden) She likes spring greens, carrots etc.

In her last home she pretty much had constant access to grass but was also given bread.

I am going to book her in for a teeth check (at the vets with my 2 tomorrow so can book her in when I am there ) in herself she is fine, bright eyes,lively, friendly, keen to get out into the garden.

Does it seem like she has lost weight as a change in diet or routine? My heart sank before when I realised she had lost weight but now I am wondering if her weight is now normal as she isn't having bread or much multi coloured rabbit food?

No haven't weighted her.
She does loads of them in the garden they are small but solid. She never has soft ones and is clean underneath.

I think you should ask the vet if she is a good weight as she is now. Then keep a check on her weight by weighing her regularly.

I've just been looking at photos from when I got her and she actually didn't have a fat pouch under her chin so I must have imagined that. I'm fairly certain though that I couldn't feel her "bum bones" though like I can now (have always been able to feel them on my 2)

I'm defo booking her in for a teeth check though, I said to my husband before she arrived that wanted them checked asap so I know what I'm starting with if that makes sense. Have tried to look at her front teeth myself but she wriggles too much. Had a glimpse of her bottom front ones while she was eating spring greens tonight and they look OK but haven't managed to see her top ones.

I'll try to weigh her tomorrow. Just went out to get her but at 32 years old I'm scared of the garden in the dark 😣 (husband working away tonight he normally stands at the door)

Her hutch it quite open so I must move it so it's more sheltered especially now the temp has dropped and she hadn't yet got anybody to snuggle up to. That in itself won't help her weight

I've just been looking at photos from when I got her and she actually didn't have a fat pouch under her chin so I must have imagined that. I'm fairly certain though that I couldn't feel her "bum bones" though like I can now (have always been able to feel them on my 2)

I'm defo booking her in for a teeth check though, I said to my husband before she arrived that wanted them checked asap so I know what I'm starting with if that makes sense. Have tried to look at her front teeth myself but she wriggles too much. Had a glimpse of her bottom front ones while she was eating spring greens tonight and they look OK but haven't managed to see her top ones.

I'll try to weigh her tomorrow. Just went out to get her but at 32 years old I'm scared of the garden in the dark 😣 (husband working away tonight he normally stands at the door)

Her hutch it quite open so I must move it so it's more sheltered especially now the temp has dropped and she hadn't yet got anybody to snuggle up to. That in itself won't help her weight

Yeah a teeth check is a really good idea :D

The vet will also be able to tell you if he thinks she's a good weight or not :thumb:

I'll try to weigh her tomorrow. Just went out to get her but at 32 years old I'm scared of the garden in the dark �� (husband working away tonight he normally stands at the door)

You may be right that she is using more of her energy to keep warm. However, it is hard to compare one bunny to another since body type, muscle mass, and activity level can vary greatly. Hydration can also impact your bunny's condition.

Weighed her on my kitchen scales today and she was just over 2kg. I know they won't be as accurate as the vets but seeing as mine were 1.8 and q.9 today on vets scales reassures me that she is ok.

Back