• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heart Failure

house-kun

Young Bun
My ND buck sadly passed away last week at the age of seven, suffering from heart arrhythmia. He had no history of dental or respiratory problems, his digestive tract was robust, the X-ray on his deathbed revealed no fluid build up around his heart or lungs, and he was as lively as ever. Nevertheless he died within a matter of hours.

Has anyone had any experience of heart trouble in rabbits, and if so, what are the signs to look out for?

My ND buck sadly passed away last week at the age of seven, suffering from heart arrhythmia. He had no history of dental or respiratory problems, his digestive tract was robust, the X-ray on his deathbed revealed no fluid build up around his heart or lungs, and he was as lively as ever. Nevertheless he died within a matter of hours.

Has anyone had any experience of heart trouble in rabbits, and if so, what are the signs to look out for?

I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit. Yes I have experienced heart failure in rabbits, and there are several signs and symptoms to look for. But as you've discovered it can come on pretty rapidly. This is because there are different forms of 'heart failure' which is a catch all phrase.

There may be some helpful info for you here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cardiology/Failure/congestive.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CongestiveHeartFailureRabbit.htm

I'm sorry you have lost your bunny - I have lost my heart bunny today. She was ok yesterday but gone today. I wondered if the colder weather affected her.

Yes, it was very sad, especially as he started crying just before he died.

"Signs of congestive heart failure include tiredness, weakness, loss of appetite, intolerance to exercice, persistent coughing or wheezing, dyspnea"

That's just the thing, none of these symptoms were obvious (at least not to me). When stressed, such as being transported in the car, he would get a wet nose (and had always done so), but this dried out as soon as he out of the car. Also when stressed, his breathing would become a little wheezy, more noticably as he aged, but none of the symptoms could be described as 'persistent'.

All I can really say is that if he did suffer, it wasn't for long. He just wound down like a clock spring.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have no experience with heart failure, but I did lose a bunny suddenly. A few years ago I did have a male ND that was happy and healthy, and minutes later he was gone forever. Like you, I was totally unprepared for the sudden loss of my beloved bunny.

"Signs of congestive heart failure include tiredness, weakness, loss of appetite, intolerance to exercice, persistent coughing or wheezing, dyspnea"

That's just the thing, none of these symptoms were obvious (at least not to me). When stressed, such as being transported in the car, he would get a wet nose (and had always done so), but this dried out as soon as he out of the car. Also when stressed, his breathing would become a little wheezy, more noticably as he aged, but none of the symptoms could be described as 'persistent'.

All I can really say is that if he did suffer, it wasn't for long. He just wound down like a clock spring.

I am sorry that your Rabbit passed away. You mention that the Vet noted an arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm). There are numerous possible causes of cardiac arrhythmias and some show no obvious symptoms at all. Only being detected as an incidental finding during an examination.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cardiac_Arrhythmia_Rabbit.htm

In humans there is a condition called 'Sudden Arrhyrthmic Death Syndrome'. This is usually caused by coronary artery disease leading to a fatal heart attack. There may be no preceding obvious symptoms at all. Rabbits can be effected by arterial sclerosis-'hardening if the arteries'.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/SpontaneousArteriosclerosisRabbit.htm

I hope that you may take some comfort in knowing that your Rabbit did not suffer a protracted illness, although his passing is obviously a dreadful shock for you xx

Heart failure, as I mentioned, can take many forms. Sadly I have more experience of it than most :( It can cause death very quickly without prior symptoms. It's not just one condition, it's a description referring to many different conditions.

I am certain that your little man didn't suffer much xx

Back