• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New VHD Vaccination

cara

Alpha Buck
About to book Teddy in but the new vaccine is not yet available in my area. How important is this new vaccine? Is there a big risk of rabbits catching this new strain of disease?

Have you rang all the vets in your area or are you going off the online map which shows vets with the vaccine? If you're going off the map then bear in mind there are a lot of vets not listed on there that do actually have the vaccine (or could order it in for you). It only shows a few in nottingham but when I rang every vet in my area for prices/availability, only two hadn't ordered the vaccine, the rest either had plenty in stock or were awaiting an order. As for the actual risk I don't really know how prevalent it is, some areas seem to have it worse than others, where are you based?

I am not aware of a map?

I am in Southport. Merseyside and the two vets I rang don't yet have it ... one due to lack of demand and expense - having to vaccinate in bulk as once opened it must be used immediately - so not a single dose, if that makes sense!

About to book Teddy in but the new vaccine is not yet available in my area. How important is this new vaccine? Is there a big risk of rabbits catching this new strain of disease?

The map is here:

http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk

It doesn't always load as sometimes it's being worked on.

Santa's blog on VHD2 is here:

https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

It's really important you get the vaccination done :wave:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-*UPDATED*-16th-Sept-2016

I am not aware of a map?

I am in Southport. Merseyside and the two vets I rang don't yet have it ... one due to lack of demand and expense - having to vaccinate in bulk as once opened it must be used immediately - so not a single dose, if that makes sense!

There's a website with a map on which says which vets definitely have the vaccine (although it doesn't show that many) so I just wondered if you were using that. According to that map the closest vet with confirmed stock is Vets4Pets Burscough. Personally I'd try ring up more vets, hopefully you'll find one that see's a lot of rabbits and so already has the vaccine in. I can't remember where I found the information but I'm pretty sure Filavac (the main vaccine being used right now) comes in both single and multi dose vials, some places are charging as much as £40 per vaccine but mine charged £25 and the vial definitely only had one dose in.

There's a website with a map on which says which vets definitely have the vaccine (although it doesn't show that many) so I just wondered if you were using that. According to that map the closest vet with confirmed stock is Vets4Pets Burscough. Personally I'd try ring up more vets, hopefully you'll find one that see's a lot of rabbits and so already has the vaccine in. I can't remember where I found the information but I'm pretty sure Filavac (the main vaccine being used right now) comes in both single and multi dose vials, some places are charging as much as £40 per vaccine but mine charged £25 and the vial definitely only had one dose in.

Thanks for posting DemiS :D

£25 is a really good price and worth travelling for, if people need the vaccine especially for multiple rabbits :thumb:

When my four were done, they each had a separate vial. I just went into open surgery and my vacs were in the fridge waiting for me. £23 each.

Hmmm I'm planning on taking Robin to the vets soon to get him microchipped and I think I'll mention the new vaccine while I'm there.

I'm not worried at the moment because Robin is a house bunny and hasn't been on our back garden .. which is actually secure but best to be safe than sorry

Back