• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lunges, Snorts and Licks!

JessiW

New Kit
Hello! :wave:
I just wanted some insight in to my female rabbit's behavior. Its been this was for a while, but she has improved since we changed her diet for the better a few months ago. What spurred me to ask about this is this morning when I fed her - she lunged at me and snorted, which I have read up and it says she disapproves of me but she has done this for as long as I can remember, but then she proceeded to lick my hand all over and then bury her head under my hand, which I have read up and says she accepts me and loves me and wants petting. When she's sitting up on her house looking all relaxed, and someone comes to stroke her, she'll either jump down or look at us and lower her head and close her eyes when we stroke her as well.

I'm really confused! We call her bumblebee because she has always made this noise and we thought it was natural, and she has always lunged at stuff that has caught her attention or when we come to see her for any reason she'll jump down to the door, especially when she's coming out for a run too!

Any insight on this would be much appreciated, thank you!

Jessi

Last edited:
How old is she?
Is she spayed?

Should could be lunging because she's being startled. Rabbits will lung/grunt for various reasons, but as far as I'm aware it's most often when something startles them. Their instincts say to scare it off incase it's a threat & to investigate afterwards if safe.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

How old is she?
Is she spayed?

Should could be lunging because she's being startled. Rabbits will lung/grunt for various reasons, but as far as I'm aware it's most often when something startles them. Their instincts say to scare it off incase it's a threat & to investigate afterwards if safe.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Possibly yeah, it just seems that she does it a lot and it just seems a little natural now haha. Most of the time, even when a loud noise is made she just sits happily! She's about 7 or 8 years old in our years, and we are unsure whether she has been spayed. She went for an operation on her heart a few years ago and we weren't sure whether they spayed her then as well.

Back