• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing problems - has anyone had any experience with a positive outcome?

Roseberry

Mama Doe
I haven't posted on here is a long long time ...
My Dwarf lop Flopsy (boy) is breathing heavily, been to vet today, she's given me baytril and Im booked in for an xray on monday.
Apart from his sides visibly moving, his nostrils moving and occasional nasal (i think they are) noises he seems otherwise fine, eating grass, hay, veg and pellets and pooping (as far as I can tell) and has been out free ranging. I am wondering what it could be and what I can do to help him. Its been coming on gradually, not suddenly.

Sorry this will be a brief reply

The symptoms you describe can have several possible causes, lower respiratory tract infection being one of them.

A chest xray may give the vet more information to work with to enable him/her to provide appropriate treatment.

I am not sure that it will be helpful to list other possible causes of an increased respiratory rate/effort at this stage as all that may do is cause you more anxiety. It is better to wait for the Xray results so you have more facts as opposed to just 'possibilities'.

I have had several rabbits who displayed the same symptoms as your rabbit. Once a definitive diagnosis was made and the Rabbits were started on the appropriate medications most were able to continue to have a good quality of life for quite some time.

Whilst an increased respiratory rate/effort is of considerable concern, it does not always mean that there will be an imminent loss. Even if the rabbit cannot be 'cured' medication can buy them more good quality time.

Sending lots of vibes for Flopsy

My little Pixie bunny had terrible breathing problems but this was due to a very, very flat face even for a mini lop! She had a number of xrays etc but the vet didn't find anything wrong even after many tests and mucus swabs were taken. The vet gave us a neburalizer (spelling?) for her when she was having breathing issues as it was really only every few weeks. She didn't mind this at all and it really helped her to breathe easier. Pixie was always very 'snuffly' and used to sound like she was chatting as she used to give little squeeks while running around or eating. She lived a full and very happy life and sadly passed away of other problems last year. Best advice i can give is do have all the tests possible to see if there's a problem. I'm sure the vets will then medicate or offer good advice on how to make your bunny more comfortable.

I haven't posted on here is a long long time ...
My Dwarf lop Flopsy (boy) is breathing heavily, been to vet today, she's given me baytril and Im booked in for an xray on monday.
Apart from his sides visibly moving, his nostrils moving and occasional nasal (i think they are) noises he seems otherwise fine, eating grass, hay, veg and pellets and pooping (as far as I can tell) and has been out free ranging. I am wondering what it could be and what I can do to help him. Its been coming on gradually, not suddenly.

I am sorry to hear about Flopsy :(

It sounds to me like an upper respiratory infection. Did the vet sound his heart and lungs and make any comment to you?

Try not to worry until you've had the X-ray. He's got antibiotics, and that's as much as you can do at the moment. When they have a diagnosis, they will let you know what to do next. I really don't want to worry you with all the possible causes, as it may be none of them!

Make sure he still eats well this weekend, and drinks well, so that he's on as best form as possible for his GA on Monday :D

Bunnies are obligate nasal breathers and they will get stressed even when they have a stuffy nose/sinus issues. Your vet will be able to tell if your bunny's issue is in the upper or lower respiratory area.
Over the years, I have used medicam for its' anti-inflammatory properties in addition to different antibiotics as prescribed by my vet.
Sending you some positive vibes with Flopsy.

Back