• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behaviour papers

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any interesting articles/papers on rabbit behaviour?
I'm looking to increase my knowledge on their behaviour - both wild & domesticated, (animal behaviour is my thing), but I'm struggling to find any that haven't had medical intervention & drug testing.

The private life of rabbits is a good book - it's a fairly old study of wild rabbits living in enclosures with some human intervention (keep in mind the faced the same risks as any wild rabbits).

There are lots although many are on laboratory rabbits, once you'll found one try the references for more ideas. I'll paste the titles of some behaviour papers here - you should be able to find the full ref by googling, if not let me know which you get stuck on and I'll find the rest of the details.

Behaviour of growing rabbits under various housing conditions
The effect of four different feeding regimes on rabbit behaviour
The effects of spatial restriction on the behavior of rabbits ( Oryctolagus cuniculus)
Intrafemale Agonistic Interactions in the Domestic Rabbit
Scent marking by the male domestic rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) is stimulated by an object’s novelty and its specific visual or tactile characteristics
Glucocorticoid metabolites in rabbit faeces—Influence of environmental enrichment and cage size
The effects of feeding and housing on the behaviour of the laboratory rabbit
The effect of environmental enrichment on the behaviour of caged rabbits
The behaviour of group penned and individually caged laboratory rabbits

I'd also recommend the free online course on Animal Behaviour here: https://www.coursera.org/learn/animal-welfare it's not specifically on rabbits although there is a short section but it covers a lot of animal behaviour generally and much of the information applies equally to many different animals.

Tamsin - the course you linked to me is really interesting. I just done my first test and got 96%. It's fascinating stuff and looking forward to next week :)
I've found almost all the sources you mentioned too, which is great. Thank you again! :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The private life of rabbits is a good book - it's a fairly old study of wild rabbits living in enclosures with some human intervention (keep in mind the faced the same risks as any wild rabbits).

There are lots although many are on laboratory rabbits, once you'll found one try the references for more ideas. I'll paste the titles of some behaviour papers here - you should be able to find the full ref by googling, if not let me know which you get stuck on and I'll find the rest of the details.

Behaviour of growing rabbits under various housing conditions
The effect of four different feeding regimes on rabbit behaviour
The effects of spatial restriction on the behavior of rabbits ( Oryctolagus cuniculus)
Intrafemale Agonistic Interactions in the Domestic Rabbit
Scent marking by the male domestic rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) is stimulated by an object’s novelty and its specific visual or tactile characteristics
Glucocorticoid metabolites in rabbit faeces—Influence of environmental enrichment and cage size
The effects of feeding and housing on the behaviour of the laboratory rabbit
The effect of environmental enrichment on the behaviour of caged rabbits
The behaviour of group penned and individually caged laboratory rabbits

I'd also recommend the free online course on Animal Behaviour here: https://www.coursera.org/learn/animal-welfare it's not specifically on rabbits although there is a short section but it covers a lot of animal behaviour generally and much of the information applies equally to many different animals.
Thanks Tamsin! its all about intelligence.. brilliant

You're welcome and well done on getting 96%! I really liked the course too - even the bits on farm animals etc. were very interesting.

Back