• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any idea who/what dug this??

spinecho

Warren Scout
Hi.

Went out the other morning and found two holes in our garden.
First hole in middle of our lawn area (no lawn yet as doing up garden!)

This one was next to the run:

We're having some building work to side of house...garage and workshop knocked down and extension built. At the moment the back garden is only accessible from the front through small gaps.

Bunnies were ok...run has mesh on bottom so nothing can get in but I've been closing them in shed every evening.

Strangely enough, there have been no more holes!

I'm wondering if it was a fox?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I would expect a fox to make a bigger hole and a lot more mess. The hole looks like it was made by something like a small rabbit - something that is used to burrowing rather than just digging into something. Rat?

I'm going to say possibly a rabbit or other digging mammal as I think a fox would try the wood and mesh first and there doesn't appear (from the pics) to be any damage there. Night video camera would solve the puzzle :D

I must admit I did wonder if it was a rabbit hole as it looks exactly the same as the holes Clover dug in the lawn before she was spayed.
However we live in a very urban area and I'm sure there are no wild rabbits around.
AFAIK no neighbours have an escaped bunny!

Only solution is I have Houdini bunnies that escape for a dig and then let themselves back into their shed[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Hmmm. Could be an escaped bunny..or one that's been dumped. :( Hopefully not and it's just a very brave wildie who has ventured into your garden because he can smell your buns.

Set up a camera! You may very well have houdini bunnies! I had rats that let themselves out of their cage and then let themselves back in. :lol: Took me ages to figure out what on earth was going on until I was in the room and watched Toffee actually open the cage door. I nearly fell off the couch in shock.

Could be a fox,I have foxes coming into my garden every night.They very often test dig areas.I don't have rabbits any longer.

Thanks for the replies.
It only happened 1 night and hasn't happened since.
One of life's mysteries [emoji12] [emoji12]

I'm actually thinking a dog, if it's possible for them to enter the garden at all? Seems odd for something to dig in the 'middle of nowhere' so to speak, and for no reason! x

Well it's definitely not a mole , looks too small for a fox or badger .
It could be a rabbit but when ever I've seen them before they are more hidden than out in the open .

Moles and mice make very small holes - an inch or two across at most. Dogs (fox size ones) tend to make quite a mess and dig a large, wide hole in my experience. Those look like something that makes a burrow type hole as there is a 'proper' entrance and it has been all dug out in one direction - through the ground rather than straight down.

Any footprints?

I would guess fox or badger, it's not a burrow it's probably them digging for worms.

Not sure how big it is, but the first thing I thought of was rat as they dig quite large holes which are smooth. Keep your eye on it - the last thing you want is a rat having access to your rabbits' run and making a nest in there.

Best way to see if it's active, put a few loose small stones or something in it to partially block it. If it's active, the rat/whatever, will quite easily shift them out. Stones or sticks won't be blown away by a breeze or wind, but a rat/whatever will easily be able to move them.

Mystery solved...
My wife went out to our car at front of house and saw a fox running out of back garden down side of house where building work is.
Went out to rabbits...they were none the wiser! [emoji1]

Looked like a fox dig to me.I'm in urban area and I bet there are more foxes in the area than the countryside.Nature finds a way,animals adapt.We have foxes wandering around,one ir two visit my garden.I do feed them,love seeing them in the garden.

Back