• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My jack russell with the rabbits

andyjudy

Young Bun
https://vimeo.com/184684913

Penny my jack Russell has been with the rabbits since she was a pup, at the time they were bigger than her. Denzel not bothered by her but Oreo isn't too keen so I don't let her in with him. She licks Denzel head which he likes. I would only put her in with him when I am there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shall be interested in what others have to say, as I don't have a dog I am not an expert, but to me that didn't look safe from the rabbit's point of view. Sorry! Why would you put her in with the rabbit if you are going to be there?

I can't see the picture/video (not sure which it is) so I can't comment but it's important to remember that JRT have a very strong hunt & chase instinct so I wouldn't trust a JRT with rabbits, even with me there.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Although I believe it is good and you've done well to introduce your puppy (who is very cute, as are the bunnies!) to the presence of rabbits I personally can't see a benefit of having them in the same space. It's good the dog can be around the rabbits without displaying behaviours which may scare the rabbits so makes life easier with them sharing the same household but being in the same space you never know what may cause a dog to chase or injure the rabbit suddenly, they don't share the same communication methods for one thing which could mean it may be entirely accidental but injuries could occur easily. I have a Bedlington Terrier who I don't allow upstairs where all my small pets live, he's never showed any negative behaviour towards them when he has spotted them when they're out in the garden and he remains inside and I've trained him to ignore going upstairs or their carrier when I have to bring them downstairs to get out the door and he never tries to chase wild bunnies/small furries when out on lead but I would never trust him near them. Sorry, I don't mean any offence and it's completely up to you how to let your pets interact and I'm sure you're careful :)

Although I believe it is good and you've done well to introduce your puppy (who is very cute, as are the bunnies!) to the presence of rabbits I personally can't see a benefit of having them in the same space. It's good the dog can be around the rabbits without displaying behaviours which may scare the rabbits so makes life easier with them sharing the same household but being in the same space you never know what may cause a dog to chase or injure the rabbit suddenly, they don't share the same communication methods for one thing which could mean it may be entirely accidental but injuries could occur easily. I have a Bedlington Terrier who I don't allow upstairs where all my small pets live, he's never showed any negative behaviour towards them when he has spotted them when they're out in the garden and he remains inside and I've trained him to ignore going upstairs or their carrier when I have to bring them downstairs to get out the door and he never tries to chase wild bunnies/small furries when out on lead but I would never trust him near them. Sorry, I don't mean any offence and it's completely up to you how to let your pets interact and I'm sure you're careful :)

:thumb:

They both look very relaxed about it in the video. Obviously the bun isn't bothered, and that's a big bunny too! There are risks, which you obviously know as you're only letting them together whilst you're there which is a very sensible precaution, I imagine where people draw the lines after that is a bit more blurry. Same with dogs, cats, rabbits and kids.

I completely understand your concerns, I have another jack Russell that is bigger than penny and I would never allow him with the rabbits, even though he is in the garden when the rabbits are in the run. The dogs don't bat an eyelid even if the rabbits are running around and binkeying. Penny is like mercury she can get in anywhere and usually want to be wherever I am. I have a babygate now over the door to the rabbit room so she can't get in when they are out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

its nice to see them together. both of them not bothering each other. its amazing. all credit goes to you man. what I like most you get them together in your presence. wonderful video

Back