• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could My Bunny Be Constipated

Just going to start this post by saying .. Please DONT respond telling me to take my bunny to a vet. I cannot afford it and will in a few days when I can. For now, please only give the advice I am asking for otherwise I dont need to be reminded of taking her in

For the past 5 days or so my bunny has not pooped much other than a grapelike cluster of poop that was somewhat hard when crushed. Shes eating and drinking fine and normal. Her behavior is off, shes doing nothing but laying around chewing the bars of her cage and sometimes trying to chew the walls. She hasnt binkied or been her normal self although she isnt acting lethargic or anything.

Ive given her endless massages on her belly, feeling the gurgles and hearing loud grumbles. Past 2 days she hasnt really wanted much massages I think it may be bugging her belly. I gave her a tiny bit of hairball meds the other day just being on schedule. Gave her some pineapple juice. Still no pooping.

Could an enema help her (Sorry cant use question marks keyboard being weird!) warm water only of course no laxatives.. Ya I know only use under vet advice blah blah anyways does anyone HERE before I can consult my vet know if that may work for her

I really want to be able to help her..

I need to know all the basic AT HOME TREATMENT OPTIONS so i can help her the best I can BEFORE taking her to a vet..

Just going to start this post by saying .. Please DONT respond telling me to take my bunny to a vet. I cannot afford it and will in a few days when I can. For now, please only give the advice I am asking for otherwise I dont need to be reminded of taking her in

For the past 5 days or so my bunny has not pooped much other than a grapelike cluster of poop that was somewhat hard when crushed. Shes eating and drinking fine and normal. Her behavior is off, shes doing nothing but laying around chewing the bars of her cage and sometimes trying to chew the walls. She hasnt binkied or been her normal self although she isnt acting lethargic or anything.

Ive given her endless massages on her belly, feeling the gurgles and hearing loud grumbles. Past 2 days she hasnt really wanted much massages I think it may be bugging her belly. I gave her a tiny bit of hairball meds the other day just being on schedule. Gave her some pineapple juice. Still no pooping.

Could an enema help her (Sorry cant use question marks keyboard being weird!) warm water only of course no laxatives.. Ya I know only use under vet advice blah blah anyways does anyone HERE before I can consult my vet know if that may work for her

I need to know all the basic AT HOME TREATMENT OPTIONS so i can help her the best I can BEFORE taking her to a vet..

Sorry, but there are no safe home treatments for a Rabbit displaying the symptoms you describe. If you attempt to give her an enema you may perforate her bowel and that is likely to be fatal

If she is 'constipated'- ie has reduced gut motility/gut stasis then the only option is to obtain Veterinary treatment-ie presciption medication to address the reduced gut motility and the pain (Yes, your Rabbit may well be in some degree of pain). Fluid therapy, given either subcutaneously or IV, is also very important. As is trying to identify the primary cause of the reduced gut motility.

This link explains Gastrointestinal Stasis and the importance of prompt treatment :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Are you in the UK ? If so are you eligible to obtain Veterinary Treatment from the PDSA ?

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

Whilst I understand that there can be times when we are unable to access funds for Vet treatment, it is our legal and moral responsibility as Pet Owners to do all within our power to make sure a sick animal is not denied Vet treatment when it is needed.

Your own Vet may consider agreeing to a payment plan, so you pay a small amount 'up front' and pay off the balance in weekly instalments. Or perhaps a family member or friend could lend you some money on this occasion, given that it is urgent.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Forum Fluffiebunny :wave:

The immediate treatment that I would use, if I didn't have access to a vet, would be giving Infacol (a gas medicine for infants), and tummy rubs. There's a lot more info here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

And also here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Please *don't* try and give an enema, as you risk damaging her. You will also need to keep her hydrated by giving water through a syringe.

Can you go to the Blue Cross and explain? Or P.D.S.A.? That's what they are there for. :wave:

Sorry, but there are no safe home treatments for a Rabbit displaying the symptoms you describe. If you attempt to give her an enema you may perforate her bowel and that is likely to be fatal

If she is 'constipated'- ie has reduced gut motility/gut stasis then the only option is to obtain Veterinary treatment-ie presciption medication to address the reduced gut motility and the pain (Yes, your Rabbit may well be in some degree of pain). Fluid therapy, given either subcutaneously or IV, is also very important. As is trying to identify the primary cause of the reduced gut motility.

This link explains Gastrointestinal Stasis and the importance of prompt treatment :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Are you in the UK ? If so are you eligible to obtain Veterinary Treatment from the PDSA ?

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

Whilst I understand that there can be times when we are unable to access funds for Vet treatment, it is our legal and moral responsibility as Pet Owners to do all within our power to make sure a sick animal is not denied Vet treatment when it is needed.

Your own Vet may consider agreeing to a payment plan, so you pay a small amount 'up front' and pay off the balance in weekly instalments. Or perhaps a family member or friend could lend you some money on this occasion, given that it is urgent.
I agree with Jane. Going by what you've described it does sound as if bunny is in pain. The reduced activity also indicates lethargy.

The PDSA only accept people on certain benefits (housing and council tax I believe).
Discuss with your vets as some provide pain relief as a first aid response FOC which may be enough to encourage bun to eat more normally.
But if there is the risk of a blockage (which sounds to be a possibility) then time is of then essence and only veterinary intervention will work.

As suggested, ask friends & family to lend you some money which you'll pay back in a few days.
You could even try the RSPCA as they sometimes offer help with veterinary fees - not always but worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back