• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Naughty Lagertha/Silly MrsC

MrsCoultas

Mama Doe
I was watching bunnycam whilst I was on the phone to MrC, I couldn't see Lagertha but I just assumed that she was hiding somewhere. Then suddenly, bunnycam cut out...I panicked and assumed that she had some how reached out through the gate and chewed the cable. Ran upstairs and low and behold she was sat on the wrong side of the gate! She was just walking around the landing whilst Ragnar was chewing on the bars to get out and follow her! Luckily she hadn't chewed the cable, I think she had just pulled or stood on it. Turns out she is still small enough to get through the bars of the gate...Naughty girl. I stupidly assumed that she wasn't able to fit through, forgetting that she is 90% fluff.

So for now I have put a board and a box in front of the gate so she can't get out. Any ideas for a more permanent fix? I know she wont be tiny forever but I'd rather them not be able to get their heads through there.

Cable tie mesh, this is extremely important as we have all seen the photo of the bun caught in the pen bars.
Once she is fully grown and too large to fit her head between the bars you can remove the mesh

Thank you! What kind of mesh? Like chicken wire kind of stuff? I just feel so stupid, it's never been something I've had to think about as Poppy was never bothered by baby gates and Ragnar just chews on it, he is far too big to get through. Will try and get to the shops tomorrow :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

513130b0553be619bdaff9ff026c130e.jpg

This is the girls gate. Both still able to fit through the bars if we didn't have the board & wooden frame on it.

Wooden frame from tesco just cut down to size & cable tied on. Wood just slotted between the two to prevent them from trying to squeeze head out. (I plan to paint it at some point)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you! What kind of mesh? Like chicken wire kind of stuff?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Like chicken wire, but a bit thicker
I think 1" sq or 1" x 0.5" 16g or 19g is usually recommended
I'm not sure how much you require, if it is not too much, you should find it at a DIY type shop. If you require a quite a few meters I would look on eBay/amazon

You can get it from Wickes in individual sheets which should be good enough for a gate: get the 1cm holes to be on the safe side :)

I was watching bunnycam whilst I was on the phone to MrC, I couldn't see Lagertha but I just assumed that she was hiding somewhere. Then suddenly, bunnycam cut out...I panicked and assumed that she had some how reached out through the gate and chewed the cable. Ran upstairs and low and behold she was sat on the wrong side of the gate! She was just walking around the landing whilst Ragnar was chewing on the bars to get out and follow her! Luckily she hadn't chewed the cable, I think she had just pulled or stood on it. Turns out she is still small enough to get through the bars of the gate...Naughty girl. I stupidly assumed that she wasn't able to fit through, forgetting that she is 90% fluff.

So for now I have put a board and a box in front of the gate so she can't get out. Any ideas for a more permanent fix? I know she wont be tiny forever but I'd rather them not be able to get their heads through there.

I always cable tie those square metal grid things to my gates. I don't like putting weld mesh, as there are so many sharp ends to try and hide from nosy little eyes!

Thank you everyone :) Should be able to get something at the weekend, for now the board and box will have to do :lol:

I always cable tie those square metal grid things to my gates. I don't like putting weld mesh, as there are so many sharp ends to try and hide from nosy little eyes!

Good point - ours is on the outside of the pen and no sharp ends in reach of nosey little eyes... or noses... or paws :lol:

We've got some chicken wire (I know: it's a temporary measure :roll:) covering a hole where the pens fit round the tube for the lawn area access, and that's got some lovely pointy bits :S No injuries yet thogh, and we have curled the worst bits away, and they don't go near it too much :)

Back