• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Resp problems again with Flo

FloLo

Alpha Buck
It's all happening again!
Last January she lost weight then had pneumonia treated from February to April.

Now she is loosing weight again and her respiratory effort is increased. She's fine in herself, eating well and attempting to jump out the run at feeding time! I'm worried now about keeping her outdoors as it's getting colder etc but landlord won't let me keep them indoors.

Anyone else had rabbits with recurrent respiratory problems and how did you cope?

Now she is loosing weight again and her respiratory effort is increased. She's fine in herself, eating well and attempting to jump out the run at feeding time! I'm worried now about keeping her outdoors as it's getting colder etc but landlord won't let me keep them indoors.

Anyone else had rabbits with recurrent respiratory problems and how did you cope?

I am sorry that Flo is not too well again. I expect you will be taking her back to the Vet today to see if the Pneumonia has returned and to get her onto Rx ASAP.
As you keeping her outdoors over-winter, well it's not ideal if she is losing weight and also fighting a chronic lung problem. But if the Land Lord is adamant that you cant have her inside , (not even if you give a written statement that she will be in one room only and that you will be 100% responsible for repairs/replacements should she cause any damage ..................??), then making sure that her outdoor accommodation is well insulated and that she has lots of warm bedding at all times will be essential. Does she have a bonded partner ? That would help as she would have the body heat of another Rabbit to help her keep warm.

Maybe your OH, as an almost qualified Vet, could explain the situation, from a clinical point of view, to your Land Lord.that Flo is poorly and she may struggle if she had to spend Winter outdoors. I used to Let my property and I had a 'No Pets' rule (yes what a hypocrite I am!!). But it was a rule that I would allow to be broken in situations such as yours.

I have had a few Rabbits with chronic LTR problems. They usually had to remain on longterm abx, both systemic and via a nebuliser Bronchodilators and nebulising saline solution was almost always an essential part of the Rx too. Whilst the disease process is progressive, Rx can buy the Rabbit quite a bit of good quality time.

Sending lots of vibes for Flo xx

I'm really sorry to hear this :(

I have found that intractable respiratory problems are difficult to 'cure' but they can be managed. I have also known of lots of buns having this type of problem are kept outside (I have boarded them) and so long as the shed, or their accommodation, is well insulated, then they are fine. I have a tubular heater, and insulate inside the shed. Use heat pads etc etc.

But you need to get her on top form before the really cold weather. Can you give some echinacea to help boost her immune system?

I've also found that regular nebulising really helps, and adding in Bisolvon.

I am sending you loads of vibes, as I really don't want you to go through this again with Flo xxx

Back