• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis

Bramranzel

Warren Scout
Today something wasn't right, Alice was off her food. She's moving around but looking uncomfortable, she hasn't pooed either today. I took her to the vets and her blood sugars are 9.6, they have given me some metacam and some Ranitidine I've never used Ranitidine before has anyone else? As I had some Cisapride all ready at home they gave me the ok to give her that too. It was a year to the day yesterday since I lost my bridge boy as he got a blockage, and died in my arms at the vets. Other than keeping a close eye on her is there anything else I can do? I have some recovery food too but I've just given her first dose of meds and I thought it would be better to let her settle after the vet visit and let the metacam kick in. I'm worried sick :(

I'm sorry that Alice is unwell. I think I would let the Metacam take effect and then try her with lots of different types of her favourite food. It's better that she can eat something for herself rather than have the stress of syringed recovery food. She should be having fluids too, either by drinking herself or by you syringing some into her. If she will eat any type of leaves, then I would rinse them in water so that she gets some fluid that way as well. Obviously if she still refuses food then I would syringe some into her.

It's good that she is moving around as that will help as well. I haven't used Ranitidine, but I know that several people have.

Sending her lots of vibes and hugs for you.

Hi, sorry to hear your bunny has stasis. My rabbits have ranitidine, it's a gut stimulant and it works.

Try and get the Recovery into your bunny as soon as possible as it's food, and bunnies need food in their digestive system. It will also encourage her to eat. I make mine slightly runnier than what it says on the pack as this will also get fluid into the system too, as they won't be drinking either so could get dehydrated. I think it's supposed to be 70ml of tepid water to a full pack of Recovery, but I use 80ml, it doesn't matter really. Just mix it really well, and it stinks by the way! Alternatively, use the 70ml of water but then syringe feed say 5ml of plain water (use tepid, not cold) to make sure bunny is drinking.

I give meds and Recovery all at the same time, gets it all over with and then leave bunny to settle for a couple of hours, rather than giving meds, waiting an hour and disturbing again.

I hope your bunny gets well soon.

Today something wasn't right, Alice was off her food. She's moving around but looking uncomfortable, she hasn't pooed either today. I took her to the vets and her blood sugars are 9.6, they have given me some metacam and some Ranitidine I've never used Ranitidine before has anyone else? As I had some Cisapride all ready at home they gave me the ok to give her that too. It was a year to the day yesterday since I lost my bridge boy as he got a blockage, and died in my arms at the vets. Other than keeping a close eye on her is there anything else I can do? I have some recovery food too but I've just given her first dose of meds and I thought it would be better to let her settle after the vet visit and let the metacam kick in. I'm worried sick :(

Sorry I missed this earlier. How is Alice doing now ? Is she drinking ? Fluids are an important part of the treatment for GI stasis.

This link gives comprehensive information about the treatment of GI Stasis :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Hi, sorry to hear your bunny has stasis. My rabbits have ranitidine, it's a gut stimulant and it works.

Try and get the Recovery into your bunny as soon as possible as it's food, and bunnies need food in their digestive system. It will also encourage her to eat. I make mine slightly runnier than what it says on the pack as this will also get fluid into the system too, as they won't be drinking either so could get dehydrated. I think it's supposed to be 70ml of tepid water to a full pack of Recovery, but I use 80ml, it doesn't matter really. Just mix it really well, and it stinks by the way! Alternatively, use the 70ml of water but then syringe feed say 5ml of plain water (use tepid, not cold) to make sure bunny is drinking.

I give meds and Recovery all at the same time, gets it all over with and then leave bunny to settle for a couple of hours, rather than giving meds, waiting an hour and disturbing again.

I hope your bunny gets well soon.

Angie B has given excellent advice. Angie's had a wealth of experience of this recently ....

Sending loads of well wishes for your bun xx

Hugs and kisses for both of you. How is she doing now? It's stressful for both of you, indeed. Sending lots of healing vibes, I'm sure she will be herself in no time. xx

I have always been given ratidine and it worked straight away many times x

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Happy to report Alice is currently 'loafing' in favourite spot. She's eaten some hay and pellets and had fluids. I didn't need to give her recovery food in the end as the meds started working really fast. I don't know if it was the Metacam or the Ranitidine that worked first I was always given Metoclopramide in the past. Thank you everyone you are all very supportive and offer great advice. I'll keep giving her meds for the next few days but hopefully she's over the worst.

Happy to report Alice is currently 'loafing' in favourite spot. She's eaten some hay and pellets and had fluids. I didn't need to give her recovery food in the end as the meds started working really fast. I don't know if it was the Metacam or the Ranitidine that worked first I was always given Metoclopramide in the past. Thank you everyone you are all very supportive and offer great advice. I'll keep giving her meds for the next few days but hopefully she's over the worst.

I find Ranitidine to be more effective than Metoclopramide, although both can be given together if the Vet deems it to be necessary

I am so glad that Alice is feeling better xx

Brilliant news :D

Some vets give metaclopromide alongside ranitidine it's true. I guess in serious cases they need all the great guns, but if not needed in Alice's case then so much the better :D

Yes, sadly MM's right in that my 2 girls have both suffered from stasis within a week of each other so dunno what's going on there! Thumper's had it regularly for the last 4 years or so, I'm just glad they're both insured!

That's great news Alice is over the worst now though, really pleased for you! I know it's a tremendous relief when they "turn the corner" as it were :)

Back