• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine Scald - I'm devastated :(

Can someone please tell me how to help my sweet bunny? I bought some new bedding for her, which I thought was Vet Bed and now I wonder...I just picked her up to put her outside to play and her little belly and back legs have what looks like urine scald on them :( I'm shattered for my dear little girl.

I believe I've caught it early as it's not severe but I don't know what to apply to it without hurting her. She's such a sweet little girl and my pride and joy, I love her so and can't believe that this has happened.

Is it possible she's allergic to the new bedding? We've only had it 5 days, and I've been changing it daily :(

One of her eyes is also mucky - but there's no swelling anywhere on her body...my first was myxo...I'm in Australia. I panicked about myxo but I don't think that's what it is after reading more about it and seeing photos of poor myxo buns.

Please help...thankyou so much.

Can someone please tell me how to help my sweet bunny? I bought some new bedding for her, which I thought was Vet Bed and now I wonder...I just picked her up to put her outside to play and her little belly and back legs have what looks like urine scald on them :( I'm shattered for my dear little girl.

I believe I've caught it early as it's not severe but I don't know what to apply to it without hurting her. She's such a sweet little girl and my pride and joy, I love her so and can't believe that this has happened.

Is it possible she's allergic to the new bedding? We've only had it 5 days, and I've been changing it daily :(

One of her eyes is also mucky - but there's no swelling anywhere on her body...my first was myxo...I'm in Australia. I panicked about myxo but I don't think that's what it is after reading more about it and seeing photos of poor myxo buns.

Hello

You need to take your Bunny to a Vet. A Rabbit should not be all wet with urine, there will be a medical reason as to why it is happening.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

So whilst the urine scald will need Veterinary treatment, so will the primary cause of her incontinence/urine soiling. It sounds as though she has an eye infection too, so that will need to be addressed.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

Your Bunny will be at high risk of Flystrike if she is unable to keep herself clean

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

The very best thing you can do to help your Bunny is to obtain prompt Veterinary attention for her. The sooner a problem is addressed the greater the chance that it can be successfully resolved :) Good luck x

If she has urine scald despite being on vet bed, then it's possible she has a urinary infection. It's more likely to be an infection than an allergy to the new bedding.

I should pop her along to the vet. They can express her bladder for you and test the urine for infection.

Whilst there the vet can also examine her eye. She could be very run down and her immune system low, poor girl.

Let us know how you get on at the vet, and good luck xx

Back