• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving rabbits to a shed

Sgraft

New Kit
Hi

In the next 6-8 weeks I will be moving and my rabbits will have a 12ft x 6ft shed. The walls have all been plastered and there is electricity in the shed. I am also having a sink fitted etc.

I am just a little worried as it will more than likely be nov/dec when we move and my rabbits have always been indoors. I think the shed has been insulated but do you think they'd be ok if I put them in there? Do you think I'd need to put a heater in there for this winter or would an insulated shed be enough? I just don't want to cause them to become ill.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers :)

If they had to go out and can't wait until spring, then I'd want to put a heater in there (one they can't get to reach). But would prefer to wait until spring when weather has warmed back up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If it's insulated that will already give a lot of warmth to them but because they've been used to heating I'd add a lot of hay, straw etc and maybe add some of those heat pads around the shed for warm spots? Lots of things to keep them nice and cosy :) Or you can put a heater in there but if there's enough places to get warmth from it shouldn't really be needed, just remember they won't have the thick fur as they've been indoors and haven't needed it. Sounds great though! :D Can't wait for pics of it all and good luck with the move!

Thank you for your replies. I wouldn't be able to give them enough space in my new place if they were to stay inside till spring time. :(

What sort of heater would you suggest? Obviously I would like one with a cheaper running cost. Have been looking into the oil filled radiators, tubular heaters and halogen heaters.

Any advice is appreciated as I already feel guilty enough having to keep them outside in the shed... Even though the shed is like a second home!! Ill just be glad they have a lot of space :)

Thank you again

I think someone uses tubular heaters for their rabbits water bowls with good success as you can use a cover to protect.
I'm always anxious about oil radiators (sorry).
I don't know much about outdoor heating, so hopefully someone with a bit more experience/knowledge on outdoor heating will see and be able to advise.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't trust oil heaters either, never have. I'd try looking into the tubular heaters more, even though my rabbit was outside I've never had to use a heater so can't be of much help either. Hopefully you can find one thats perfect for you. :)

Back