• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still not eating...

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Sylar still hasn't eaten anything. It's been 15 hours. He went the vets at 9am and he had a gut stimulant and a painkiller. We have syringe fed him critical care and water every 2-3 hours. He isn't grinding his teeth but he's not drinking or pooping either. He's also had a bit of pineapple juice.
Can I do anything else???

I'm sorry, it's horribly stressful when they're ill. How is Sylar in himself? Is he moving around? Is it also 15 hours since he pooped?

I really don't think there is anything else you can do at the moment. You know he's had food as you've syringe fed him. You've also given him water.

I think, if it were me, depending on how he is in himself, I would continue as you're doing and then in the morning if no improvement I would take him back to the vets and maybe get them to give him some sub-cut fluids.

I presume you've done the obvious and waved herbs and other tasty things under his nose?

Sylar still hasn't eaten anything. It's been 15 hours. He went the vets at 9am and he had a gut stimulant and a painkiller. We have syringe fed him critical care and water every 2-3 hours. He isn't grinding his teeth but he's not drinking or pooping either. He's also had a bit of pineapple juice.
Can I do anything else???

I tend to find that Infacol and tummy rubs are what gets things going most of all. That and the addition of fluids (under the skin sub-Q if necessary)

Good luck. Must be very worrying xx

I'm sorry, it's horribly stressful when they're ill. How is Sylar in himself? Is he moving around? Is it also 15 hours since he pooped?

I really don't think there is anything else you can do at the moment. You know he's had food as you've syringe fed him. You've also given him water.

I think, if it were me, depending on how he is in himself, I would continue as you're doing and then in the morning if no improvement I would take him back to the vets and maybe get them to give him some sub-cut fluids.

I presume you've done the obvious and waved herbs and other tasty things under his nose?

He's mostly just lying around but he is moving a tiny bit. No teeth grinding but his tummy is occasionally making some strange noises. I haven't seen him poop since then and I've been watching him like a hawk, I haven't even slept yet. When I got home from work at 12am he was running around, jumping on the bed, his dog crate, eating his hay etc and generally being his usual mischievous self so it came on quite quickly.
He's actually provisionally booked in tomorrow at 9am for a dental depending on how he is doing so I'll take him in then regardless.
Yes, I've waved everything under his nose. Parsley, coriander, spinach, hay, dandelion and plantain and he's having none of it :(

I tend to find that Infacol and tummy rubs are what gets things going most of all. That and the addition of fluids (under the skin sub-Q if necessary)

Good luck. Must be very worrying xx

Infacol? Is that baby gas drops? I read about them online and asked my (not very rabbit savvy) vet and he said he'd leave it out for now. My nearest Rabbit Savvy vet is over 90 minutes away and I'm currently without a car :(

If I give it to him can it do any harm? Any side effects?

So, it's probable then that the non-eating is because of poorly teeth? I think I would be happy with leaving him until tomorrow morning, obviously making sure that he gets some syringe feeding and water in the meantime. The vet can then decide whether to proceed with the dental or not.

Sending him lots of vibes and also lots of hugs for you.

It's a possibility but when we went 2 weeks ago they checked his teeth and they said he had a few spurs forming but nothing too bad. Would they come on that quickly?

It's a possibility but when we went 2 weeks ago they checked his teeth and they said he had a few spurs forming but nothing too bad. Would they come on that quickly?

I would have thought that if spurs could be felt starting to form two weeks ago, it is possible that they are now of a size when they would cause pain. It also seems to be that what is a problem and causes non-eating for one rabbit may not be so for another.

Spurs can definitely grow enough in 2 weeks to cause problems. One of our dental bunnies used to have his incisors done every 2-3 weeks.

Infacol / gripe water won't do any harm if you have some - if nothing else, it is extra fluid.

The only other thing I can suggest is that he may appreciate a heat pad. Otherwise, keep syringing (assuming the vet OK'd it and there's no blockage) and get him to move around a bit.

Thank you! Dental work is a new one for me. I feel like I'm learning a lot this year :shock:
I've got some infacol, does anyone know how much I should give him? Xx

Peppermint tea can really help (cooled down, obviously). I'd personally use that rather than Infacol.

We went to Asda to get some Infacol and we've just been up to check on him and he was eating bits of hay and dandelion! Then he jumped into his litter tray, did a wee, jumped out and had a massive drink of water.
Phew!
Should I carry on syringe feeding him? Xx

Oh that's brilliant. The drinking should help get things moving. I would be more concerned about getting fluids into him at the moment, and obviously watch for poos. Fingers crossed!

Thank you :) I think I'll do some more critical care/water before bed then to get him through the night so that I can actually try and get some sleep!
Its been a long 20 hours. We've been so worried about him. He's so greedy that it's so obvious when something isn't quite right. Everything crossed! Thanks again for your advice :)

Thank you :) I think I'll do some more critical care/water before bed then to get him through the night so that I can actually try and get some sleep!
Its been a long 20 hours. We've been so worried about him. He's so greedy that it's so obvious when something isn't quite right. Everything crossed! Thanks again for your advice :)

Thinking of you both Roxy. I hope you manage to get some shut eye tonight xx

Thinking of you both Roxy. I hope you manage to get some shut eye tonight xx

Thanks! So far my attempt at sleeping has mostly consisted of staring at Sylar. I do keep nodding off though!
He's still eating bits of dandelion and hay and I've seen him drink a few more times. He's a little more active and we have poops! Yey! They're not as small as I was expecting either. Smaller than usual but not too small. A little bit sticky though :/

Peppermint tea can really help (cooled down, obviously). I'd personally use that rather than Infacol.

Me too

Hope that Skylar has improved overnight ?. You say that he has not been drinking, does he usually not drink much ? Bladder problems can cause anorexia/gut stasis as a secondary issue.

Personally I'd want to hold off on him having a GA today unless the Vet feels it is absolutely essential. I would want the Vet to consider other possible causes of Skylar's gut stasis and also admit him for fluid therapy/syringe feeds and on-goining medication (ie not just a one off dose). Prokinetics need to be given every 6-8 hours.

Sending lots of vibes for poorly Skylar, I do hope he starts to feel much better soon xx

He is much better today :) Still not back to his best but he is eating/drinking by himself.
He usually drinks pretty well so I doubt it would be bladder issues.
We decided against doing the dental today, we just didn't feel comfortable with the idea of giving him an anaesthetic. We have an appointment this afternoon though so the vet can see how he is doing but he has improved a lot over night :)

Back