• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is this?!

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hi guys, I just had Lady Blue on my lap cleaning her nose, I did a bum check as she sometimes gets the odd poop stuck there, and I saw this?! It looks like mucus?
The sawdust is from where I picked it up...
It just smells like urine.

It's sticky and when I pull it apart it's like strands of mucus..
Last night she did do 2 soft poops that she didn't eat along with solid ones..
What the hell is this? :/
She's still on Baytril, the only thing different is she had a small leaf of cabbage, she gets it occasionally (one a month) She normally has kale, carrots, parsnips, sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, Tomatoes, cucumber, spring beans, gem lettuce and some others (small amount of two, like kale and tomatoes.. Or lettuce and sprouts) she had cabbage and carrot last night, 3 slices of carrot and 1/4 leaf of cabbage... :/

Ewww, I have no idea, sorry, but it doesn't look right I'll give you that.

On a side note, I didn't think bunnies were supposed to have tomatoes? I'm sure I read that somewhere but I could be wrong. Mine don't get any veg, ever, so I dunno, but I did think tomatoes were a no-no? And what sort of lettuce do you give because not all lettuce is good for rabbits either, only certain types are.

I hope you get answers as to what she's produced though!

It is mucus and it has what looks like some fecal matter in it. It is an abnormal finding and indicates inflammation within the GI tract.

Personally I would consult your Vet, at least by phone even if you cannot take your Rabbit in to the surgery. The Vet may say that she needs to see LB again or she may give you some treatment advice over the phone. Good luck.

Ewww, I have no idea, sorry, but it doesn't look right I'll give you that.

On a side note, I didn't think bunnies were supposed to have tomatoes? I'm sure I read that somewhere but I could be wrong. Mine don't get any veg, ever, so I dunno, but I did think tomatoes were a no-no? And what sort of lettuce do you give because not all lettuce is good for rabbits either, only certain types are.

I hope you get answers as to what she's produced though!

The fruit of the Tomato is fine, just not the leaves :)

Jane hits the nail on the head again!! ;)

Now, I'm not normally squeamish when it comes to animal stuff but those pictures did make me gag.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I just had Lady Blue on my lap cleaning her nose, I did a bum check as she sometimes gets the odd poop stuck there, and I saw this?! It looks like mucus?
The sawdust is from where I picked it up...
It just smells like urine.

It's sticky and when I pull it apart it's like strands of mucus..
Last night she did do 2 soft poops that she didn't eat along with solid ones..
What the hell is this? :/
She's still on Baytril, the only thing different is she had a small leaf of cabbage, she gets it occasionally (one a month) She normally has kale, carrots, parsnips, sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, Tomatoes, cucumber, spring beans, gem lettuce and some others (small amount of two, like kale and tomatoes.. Or lettuce and sprouts) she had cabbage and carrot last night, 3 slices of carrot and 1/4 leaf of cabbage... :/

Sharpie, the mucous is a sign of some inflammation in the intestinal tract. It could be related to the Baytril she's having.

I would give your vet a ring and let them know. They can tell you whether it's serious or not, or whether you should keep an eye on it and see whether it continues.

Angie - tomatoes are fine for rabbits :D They contain potassium (like bananas) and are good for that condition known as 'Floppy Rabbit Syndrome'. The leaves, however, are poisonous :)

Thank you all for the responses!
Lady Blue has been on Baytril for a while now and it's the first time I've seen this :(
She's due to go back in in a few days, if I see anymore I'll get her in tomorrow morning and find out what's going on!

Thank you all for the responses!
Lady Blue has been on Baytril for a while now and it's the first time I've seen this :(
She's due to go back in in a few days, if I see anymore I'll get her in tomorrow morning and find out what's going on!

Has she only been on Baytril? Nothing else?

Thank you for educating me on tomatoes :)

I will now leave this thread as I haven't got a clue on what could be wrong, but send good wishes for Lady Blue x

Has she only been on Baytril? Nothing else?

Just baytril, the vet did want to put her on some tablets that he said would sort her out quicker and more efficient but even he had an issue with giving her the half a tablet, she refuses point blank to allow you to insert things into her mouth, so becausd he couldn't do it he said it's best to stick with baytril for.now as atleast we know she's taking it, whereas the tablet we won't be sure as it.could just stick to her check and she doesn't actually take it.

The weird poop seems to be a one off, she did normal poos all yesterday and today there was normal poo but with one single mucus strand attached (this morning) but since then just the normal ball poop everywhere xD

Just baytril, the vet did want to put her on some tablets that he said would sort her out quicker and more efficient but even he had an issue with giving her the half a tablet, she refuses point blank to allow you to insert things into her mouth, so becausd he couldn't do it he said it's best to stick with baytril for.now as atleast we know she's taking it, whereas the tablet we won't be sure as it.could just stick to her check and she doesn't actually take it.

The weird poop seems to be a one off, she did normal poos all yesterday and today there was normal poo but with one single mucus strand attached (this morning) but since then just the normal ball poop everywhere xD

That's great. Worry over :D

Back