• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

elderly Alan

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
Hi all I have a elderly rabbit 9yr old nethie who is getting weaker by the week he leans against his partner or the litter tray all the time and he stumbles all the time. He is eating and drinking pooing weeing normal is he just going to get weaker now and is this the end :((((xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bless him! I think it's like with people, their strength slowly disappears, but as long as he seems happy enough, eating etc normally, then hopefully his last bit of strength will finally go and he will have a peaceful departure.

Could it be that he has some arthritis and that is contributing to his weakness? Has the vet seen him recently?

It's just so hard seeing him like this he doesn't go out anymore he is just content sitting in his litter tray but his mate is quite active and has started hanging around the other buns cages it's like she's saying come out and play Alan can't ....I have a single male who I am bonding with maisey Alan's mate when the time comes :(( but she is spending more time outside his cage it's as if she knows..xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't think he's in pain...but then I may be wrong he has been to the vets twice in the last 6 months and both times I have been told he is in good health for his age just enjoy the rest of yr time with him....I guess I worry because of his age I have had rabbits for 40yrs and 9 has been the oldest x

I don't think he's in pain...but then I may be wrong he has been to the vets twice in the last 6 months and both times I have been told he is in good health for his age just enjoy the rest of yr time with him....I guess I worry because of his age I have had rabbits for 40yrs and 9 has been the oldest x

You know what, I think there might be something going on for Alan that your vet hasn't spotted. It doesn't sound typical of arthritis to me.
Was he having the symptoms on both occasions you've taken him to see the vet within the last six months?

Could you get a blood profile done and start from there?

No he had a wheezing sound from his nose I was told it was snuffles and he had antibiotics that has gone now I would say the weakness has been getting worse in the last 2mths and he relys on object to rest against my 3 local vets I don't think are that rabbit savvy and the last bun I had was 9 I took him and ended up pts the vet said it was the best thing considering his ag (needless to say I don't go there anymore) so I am wary given his age plus if he needs a ga I don't think his heart would take it x

No he had a wheezing sound from his nose I was told it was snuffles and he had antibiotics that has gone now I would say the weakness has been getting worse in the last 2mths and he relys on object to rest against my 3 local vets I don't think are that rabbit savvy and the last bun I had was 9 I took him and ended up pts the vet said it was the best thing considering his ag (needless to say I don't go there anymore) so I am wary given his age plus if he needs a ga I don't think his heart would take it x

I didn't want to be disrespectful to your current vets, but I had a feeling they were not particularly rabbit savvy. Is there anywhere else you can take him?

And 9 years old isn't incredibly old in my book. How are his teeth and has he lost any weight recently?

His teeth seem fine he's eatin normal although has never been a great hay eater he has lost a bit of weight .have u any ideas what it could be?? Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

His teeth seem fine he's eatin normal although has never been a great hay eater he has lost a bit of weight .have u any ideas what it could be?? Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As I said earlier, I would have a blood profile done, in case there's any change to liver and kidneys, or blood cells, and take it from there ... But I would try and find a really good vet who can get on top of the diagnosis. :)

Hello, Poor Alan.....Maybe he 's feeling dizzy because it sounds like he's got a balance problem. I hope you'll find him a decent rabbit savvy vet who can find out what's wrong with him and be able to help him.. Bless him. Bunnies can get into their teens nowadays. I wish you and Alan a lot of improving vibes. Good luck to you both. xxxxx

Back