• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to the vets with Sonic tomorrow, spare vibes?

supersonic

Mama Doe
:(

Think it's another problem with his teeth. He's 7, but it's only been 3 months since his first ever dental, and I think he needs another. His appetite's off, his poops are small but numerous and he's chomping a lot and making a weird noise when he chews.

He ate all his overnight food, and some hay, but this evening he just looked so lackluster and didn't want to eat much. However, he did perk up a bit and manage to eat two of his very crunchy treats? I wish he could just tell me what's wrong, it would be much easier :roll:

I'll ring the vets and book him in for a dental first thing, hopefully we can get it all sorted before it got as bad as it did last time (it took ages to figure out what was wrong and it was awful timing!). At least he has eaten something tonight.

Wish us luck!

PS, I've just heard a thump. With Sonic it's not a scared thing, it's mostly a nightly routine thing, so it's good that he's feeling well enough to do it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, he's just snuggled up quietly now, so hopefully he'll et some sleep and eat a bit more through the night. I've just noticed his chin is starting to get a bit matted, so he's definitely drooling.
It's so scary how quickly he turned. He was out in the garden having so much fun and being so cheeky yesterday!

Can anyone suggest a good, light hearted film for me to watch for after I drop him off?! I didn't know what to do with myself last time, so I just tried to sleep

Thanks guys, he's just snuggled up quietly now, so hopefully he'll et some sleep and eat a bit more through the night. I've just noticed his chin is starting to get a bit matted, so he's definitely drooling.
It's so scary how quickly he turned. He was out in the garden having so much fun and being so cheeky yesterday!

Can anyone suggest a good, light hearted film for me to watch for after I drop him off?! I didn't know what to do with myself last time, so I just tried to sleep

Oh dear! Poor you and poor bunny. I hope all will be well.

Sending hugs and vibes xx

Good luck with Sonic at vets. My Treacle is booked in Tuesday for another dental, she's just gone 3 months since her last. I always keep busy and go on a cleaning frenzy while I'm waiting to hear she's ok x

Good luck with Sonic at vets. My Treacle is booked in Tuesday for another dental, she's just gone 3 months since her last. I always keep busy and go on a cleaning frenzy while I'm waiting to hear she's ok x

(If you don't mind me asking) Do you always go so regularly? What signs does Treacle show that she needs one?

Sonic's made it so far through his life without needing one, so needing another so soon is a bit of a shock. I know it's kinda silly to worry, they couldn't be in any better hands whilst their at the vets, but it's just awful!

Thank you!

He's nibbled a bit more overnight and done a fair few poops. Still small, but at least there's something. Just waiting for the vet to open...

So guess who's just done loads of almost normal poops and eaten a handful of pellets with vigour? On top of his over night pellets that he just ate in the last hour between last posting on here... His eyes are brighter, ears are up, he looks like a totally different rabbit.

The vets were pretty full up and only had time for an appointment and not a dental, so to save him two visits he's booked in for 9:30 tomorrow instead.

Last edited:
So guess who's just done loads of almost normal poops and eaten a handful of pellets with vigour? On top of his over night pellets that he just ate in the last hour between last posting on here... His eyes are brighter, ears are up, he looks like a totally different rabbit.

The vets were pretty full up and only had time for an appointment and not a dental, so to save him two visits he's booked in for 9:30 tomorrow instead.

Sounds like a good plan !

Good to hear he sounds so well this morning :D

Good luck for tomorrow :D

Sounds like a good plan !

I'm glad you think so. I wasn't too sure, but seeing as though they were pretty full up and he was having input and output then I thought it might be best. No matter how much I think I have this 'rabbit thing' down, I'm always confused.

He looks pretty chilled at the moment, not hunched up or grinding his teeth. He's eaten grass, hay, a few veggies and some pellets, so he's getting some calories in and he's drinking normally.

Ergh, he's making me think he doesn't need to go in! Poops are getting bigger, yesterday they were black, small and jaggedy. Now they're slightly lighter, slightly bigger and perfectly round. He's eaten some more, but still not with the same gusto he should be eating with and he didn't want his all time favourite - a grape.

Obviously, he's not right and I will take him tomorrow morning, but what if I take him for a dental, they put him under GA and it's not his teeth? I'll feel awful!

(If you don't mind me asking) Do you always go so regularly? What signs does Treacle show that she needs one?

Sonic's made it so far through his life without needing one, so needing another so soon is a bit of a shock. I know it's kinda silly to worry, they couldn't be in any better hands whilst their at the vets, but it's just awful!

So sorry, just catching up with your thread now. I am in pretty much the same dilemma as you with Treacle.
She's booked in for her dental tomorrow, and I'm in two minds whether to postpone ! She's out in the sunshine binkying and running round like mad, and eating grass.
The reason I booked her in again, is because she is slow to eat her nuggets, and is not eating any hay at all. Her poops are smaller and darker, and at times she looks really miserable. She tends to get a couple of spurs on the one side, regardless of all the hay she normally eats. At the moment I'm out foraging for long stalky grass twice a day, which she eats with gusto, but as she's not eating hay, I can only assume the spurs have grown back :roll:
I'm so worried about her going in, I lost her brother just two months ago, although it wasn't as a result of a GA.
I'll take her along tomorrow anyway, and speak to the vet before making the final decision, but I'm pretty sure she will need "doing".
Good luck with Sonic, let us know how it goes.

Back