• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now it's Coco's turn.

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
:cry: Exactly a week to the day after Thumper was unwell. I give up :(.

Luckily she doesn't seem quite as bad as Thumper was (if you recall I said it looked like Thumper just wanted to pass, but Coco doesn't). Coco is nibbling on hay, has had some output. She's had Recovery, and Fibre Plex, plus 2 jabs off the vet this morning along with Metacam from me first thing. She's still not quite right but shakes when I stroke her as I'm the mean one as I force-feed her meds. She doesn't shake when Adrian (my husband) strokes her.

I'm going to put a heat pad where she seems to like to lie tonight, just to make sure she doesn't get cold (she's not cold at the moment I don't think) and the vet didn't recommend them living in for a day or so. And hopefully come morning she'll be back to normal given that she is trying to eat little bits now.

I love them both to pieces but I'll be relieved when they can't suffer any more, I really will. The stress doesn't do us any good either to be honest. Last week with Thumper I ended up with a migraine for 4 days and Adrian had a sore shoulder for a couple of days too, all due to stress. Add to that what's going on with my mum and his dad and now possibly my son, I've had enough. I go out to them in a morning and brace myself as I don't know what I'll find. That's not the way to begin each day, surely? I've been like that now for a good couple of years and quite frankly it takes the pleasure out of having them a little bit, the initial worry about opening the shed door first thing in a morning.

I've just been out, about half an hour ago, and Coco had moved from her favourite spot which was good :) but upon sight she hopped back and hunkered down as she's afraid of me at the moment, which is sad :(.

Hopefully when Adrian goes out in about half an hour (so an hour after me) he'll be able to report a happier bunneh. I hope so anyway.

:(

I'm sorry you are really going through the mill at the moment :cry:

I'm sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Thank you everyone x

Adrian's been out and said that Coco was moving around the shed when he went out (we've shut the tunnel off so there's no draughts and they can't get into the run so it's a bit warmer and easier to keep an eye on them). She was interested in the dried herbs he put out, and some muesli as an extra treat to get her to eat and she has has a nibble on both, so that's good. Then she found the heat pad so plonked her backside on that and began eating hay instead, not as enthusiastically as normal but at least she's eating, which is a relief. Paws crossed she'll have a good night's sleep on the heat pad and be back to normal tomorrow (though she'll be cross as she's still having the Fibre Plex!).

Thumper was cuddled up to her most of today too, like she knew something wasn't right :love: so hopefully they'll cuddle up tonight (they usually do to be honest) and have a good night.

I'll update in the morning but for now I'm wiped so I'm off.

'Night, folks x

Thank you everyone x

Adrian's been out and said that Coco was moving around the shed when he went out (we've shut the tunnel off so there's no draughts and they can't get into the run so it's a bit warmer and easier to keep an eye on them). She was interested in the dried herbs he put out, and some muesli as an extra treat to get her to eat and she has has a nibble on both, so that's good. Then she found the heat pad so plonked her backside on that and began eating hay instead, not as enthusiastically as normal but at least she's eating, which is a relief. Paws crossed she'll have a good night's sleep on the heat pad and be back to normal tomorrow (though she'll be cross as she's still having the Fibre Plex!).

Thumper was cuddled up to her most of today too, like she knew something wasn't right :love: so hopefully they'll cuddle up tonight (they usually do to be honest) and have a good night.

I'll update in the morning but for now I'm wiped so I'm off.

'Night, folks x

You'll already be in bed Angie, but vibes for a peaceful night for you!

I really hope she will be back to normal tomorrow. Fingers and paws crossed here :wave:

Morning everyone, thank you for your kind thoughts x

Coco does seem a bit better this morning, thankfully, though not fully herself so I've given more pain relief. She's also had the best part of 15ml Recovery and her dose of Fibre Flex. She willingly went out into the garden and has nibbled on grass and leaves and has hopped about before finding a nice cosy spot in the plastic greenhouse in the sun and settled down, bless her. She then washed Thumper's face, which was nice to see so she mustn't be feeling too bad. She also took a treat and ate that, which she refused yesterday, so that's an improvement too.

Not many poops in the shed today, hence me giving her Recovery and I'll give her some more later on, but I think 15ml is plenty for her to be getting on with for a couple of hours at least as it's quite a lot in fairness, but she is a big bunny at 3.6kg. She has had output though, I know it's hers, so that's good.

So just to keep an eye on her really. The last time she was poorly it took a full 5 days before she was back to her full normal self so I'm not overly concerned she's as quiet as she is. Thumper generally recovers quickly once she's turned the corner, but Coco not so much. It's funny how they differ and you get used to their little ways isn't it. Helpful too so we don't panic when comparing them!

I'll be going back to see her in about an hour or so, as her next dose of Fibre Flex will be due around 1 o'clock. I might give her some more Recovery then as well as it'll have been 4 hours since the last lot, but if she's munching away on hay I won't bother with the Recovery; we'll see.

Paws crossed anyway :)

Morning everyone, thank you for your kind thoughts x

Coco does seem a bit better this morning, thankfully, though not fully herself so I've given more pain relief. She's also had the best part of 15ml Recovery and her dose of Fibre Flex. She willingly went out into the garden and has nibbled on grass and leaves and has hopped about before finding a nice cosy spot in the plastic greenhouse in the sun and settled down, bless her. She then washed Thumper's face, which was nice to see so she mustn't be feeling too bad. She also took a treat and ate that, which she refused yesterday, so that's an improvement too.

Not many poops in the shed today, hence me giving her Recovery and I'll give her some more later on, but I think 15ml is plenty for her to be getting on with for a couple of hours at least as it's quite a lot in fairness, but she is a big bunny at 3.6kg. She has had output though, I know it's hers, so that's good.

So just to keep an eye on her really. The last time she was poorly it took a full 5 days before she was back to her full normal self so I'm not overly concerned she's as quiet as she is. Thumper generally recovers quickly once she's turned the corner, but Coco not so much. It's funny how they differ and you get used to their little ways isn't it. Helpful too so we don't panic when comparing them!

I'll be going back to see her in about an hour or so, as her next dose of Fibre Flex will be due around 1 o'clock. I might give her some more Recovery then as well as it'll have been 4 hours since the last lot, but if she's munching away on hay I won't bother with the Recovery; we'll see.

Paws crossed anyway :)

Paws crossed here for Coco. It would be nice for her to have a quick recovery and spare her Mum all the worry :D

Thank you :)

I went out about an hour ago to give more Fibreplex (I've been calling it Fibre Flex up to now - got it mixed up with Fibafirst I think :lol:) and some Recovery (15ml) even though she was nibbling on hay. She was not impressed with the latter. I won't give her any more Recovery though I think because if I fill her up with Recovery she simply won't want any hay. I did give her a treat afterwards but she only nibbled on it - probably full from the Recovery, oops :lol:. She is to have some more Fibreplex though so I'll carry on with that until it's gone which shouldn't take too much longer as she's having 2.5ml three times a day. She is proper sulking with me though, but doesn't fight and try to bite me like Thumper does, which is a refreshing change! I don't have to do bunny burritos with Coco, but do with Thumper otherwise she'd sink her teeth into my fingers and draw lots of blood quite happily!

Thank you :)

I went out about an hour ago to give more Fibreplex (I've been calling it Fibre Flex up to now - got it mixed up with Fibafirst I think :lol:) and some Recovery (15ml) even though she was nibbling on hay. She was not impressed with the latter. I won't give her any more Recovery though I think because if I fill her up with Recovery she simply won't want any hay. I did give her a treat afterwards but she only nibbled on it - probably full from the Recovery, oops :lol:. She is to have some more Fibreplex though so I'll carry on with that until it's gone which shouldn't take too much longer as she's having 2.5ml three times a day. She is proper sulking with me though, but doesn't fight and try to bite me like Thumper does, which is a refreshing change! I don't have to do bunny burritos with Coco, but do with Thumper otherwise she'd sink her teeth into my fingers and draw lots of blood quite happily!

I'm glad to hear that Coco isn't a vampire bunny like Thumper :lol:

Hope things go well. Good idea to see how her appetite is without too much recovery food :)

Just a quick - and hopefully final - update to say that Coco appears to be back to normal now, yaay! She had her last dose of Fibreplex this morning and has been eating normally it seems and bounced around the garden too quite happily and although her output is smaller than normal, there's a fair amount of it so I'm pleased with that. I'm sure it'll increase in size in due course.

So it appears she has got over this a lot quicker than I expected as last time it took a full 5 days - this time it's been just 2 full days, which is excellent :)

Thank you for all of your good wishes, they are always well-received and much appreciated :) x

(going on past form, see you again in about a month, give or take a week, with Thumper :? !)

Back