• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver has very bad sore hock

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
And of course there are no vets open today. Could I have some help please on how to make him more comfortable till I can get him seen? Our satellite clinic here doesn't open till Tuesday. :(

Many thanks in advance. xxxx

And of course there are no vets open today. Could I have some help please on how to make him more comfortable till I can get him seen? Our satellite clinic here doesn't open till Tuesday. :(

Oh no, poor man :cry: Is the skin broken ? He is already on Metacam isn't he ?

I am so sorry MM :(

Is the skin actually broken, or is it red and sore looking?

I would do different things depending on the severity.

(((( hugs ))))

It appears it may have broken but has now healed over. Things have been so busy here I hadn't seen this till today. Going to get some plain neosporin ointment to help but have no wraps to put on him. :(

It appears it may have broken but has now healed over. Things have been so busy here I hadn't seen this till today. Going to get some plain neosporin ointment to help but have no wraps to put on him. :(

The neosporin helped last time didn't it ? Can you buy some dressings from the same place ?

not sure if this helps but we've always been told to just apply cream if it's inflammed and sore looking, but to bathe with salt water and apply honey if it's cracked open. it's difficult when it's that has cracked but isn't now though!

bisc's are worse now aswell. very red with one rough skin patch on one foot and two on the other. he said gently apply cream (we use e45) and don't try to cover the bare patch with fur now (we usually try and do a comb over with any fur that will reach) .. i thought it was best to cover it but he said not at this stage because it uses fur from a little further up which then means that is thinner and will be more prone to becoming sore aswell.

i've been told different things at different stages so it's hard to know sometimes what to do. x

not sure if this helps but we've always been told to just apply cream if it's inflammed and sore looking, but to bathe with salt water and apply honey if it's cracked open. it's difficult when it's that has cracked but isn't now though!

bisc's are worse now aswell. very red with one rough skin patch on one foot and two on the other. he said gently apply cream (we use e45) and don't try to cover the bare patch with fur now (we usually try and do a comb over with any fur that will reach) .. i thought it was best to cover it but he said not at this stage because it uses fur from a little further up which then means that is thinner and will be more prone to becoming sore aswell.

i've been told different things at different stages so it's hard to know sometimes what to do. x

I like this advice ^^^

I use a natural cream on sore hocks instead of the Sudocrem. My vet also managed to give us some 'glue' so that we could do a comb over and it would stay there until the foot had healed up :D

Good luck MM xx

Interested to know what the glue is. We are still struggling with Rupert's sore hocks and he has a permanent bandage (vet wrap over melonin) (but changed every 3/4 days) on the worse one though vvv slowly it seems to be healing. We have used manuka honey when it breaks open and also our vet has used some aluminium spray for horses quite successfully.

Julie binkied on the carpet so much once that she got a bad rug burn had had a small open scrape. The vet had me apply New Skin the liquid bandage. She said as long as I held her until it was dry it was safe if she licked it. It helped right away and healed fast.
How was your move? Are you all settling in okay?

Julie binkied on the carpet so much once that she got a bad rug burn had had a small open scrape. The vet had me apply New Skin the liquid bandage. She said as long as I held her until it was dry it was safe if she licked it. It helped right away and healed fast.

I remember hearing about liquid bandaid being useful too. Depending on how broken the skin is. There is also a spray called Opsite that is similar. Like a second skin.
Silver Sulfadiazine cream can also be really healing for hocks.

I remember watching a video Jane made of wrapping a hock (she used a soft toy :p ) and putting a small donut shape pad over the sore. Would he tolerate something like that MM?

{{{Fivers Feet!}}}

I know you have limited internet access M, but I hope you have managed to get the Neosporin. Gah, I wish I could do more to help you :cry:

This is a great idea Bunnytoes. I shall remember that :D

I dont know if the 'New Skin' available in the States is the same as ours, but the one I once tried stings A LOT when applied. This is the one I am referring to

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1621...=9046176&device=c&campaignid=620794543&crdt=0

Whilst the stinging does wear off it is a good idea to be aware that a Rabbit may react quite dramatically when the liquid is applied xx

Some relief for Fiver

Thanks all. :) Sorry to be brief but my data is running away. :(
I asked my old vet about new skin but he was averse to using it as it could trap bacteria under it. I was disappointed because it seems such a good idea. :(
I got some fleecy towels for him and the neosporin and he seems a bit happier but he is in a cooler room than he is used to with lino that has to be covered with soft stuff and with the other two bunnies (separate pens for now) instead of in his night pen in my room and I think this has depressed him. New arrangwments need to be made but we hadn't had time to fully settle yet. Yesterday things appeared to be getting there...then the kids had a huge row and my OH called pressuring me to let him sell my house, amongst other worries like job hunting which is not going well....things are still quite :censored: up..

I have a new thread about Mimzy also...jeez all at once. :(
Thanks everyone I will be sure to update when I can. :love: xxxxx

I asked my old vet about new skin but he was averse to using it as it could trap bacteria under it. I was disappointed because it seems such a good idea. :(
I got some fleecy towels for him and the neosporin and he seems a bit happier but he is in a cooler room than he is used to with lino that has to be covered with soft stuff and with the other two bunnies (separate pens for now) instead of in his night pen in my room and I think this has depressed him. New arrangwments need to be made but we hadn't had time to fully settle yet. Yesterday things appeared to be getting there...then the kids had a huge row and my OH called pressuring me to let him sell my house, amongst other worries like job hunting which is not going well....things are still quite :censored: up..

Glad to hear that you managed to get the Neosporin and I hope it helps. I have just replied on your other thread xx

I'm pleased that you were able to get the Neosporin and that he seems a bit happier. I think you have done an amazing job re-locating all your family, including all the animals, so successfully so I really wouldn't beat yourself up that living arrangements are not fully settled yet. I so hope that life will become calmer for you soon.

Glad you got the Neosporin. I'm sure that will help a lot :D

I hope things settle down and become calmer for you soon xx

Back