• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello - advise gratefully needed

Suzi888

New Kit
Hi
I don't have a rabbit - yet. I really want at least one. I used to have two rescues, Rab & Bit. Rab was a proper grumpy old man, and Bit was a nervous girl with serious teeth problems.
I do have two dogs - a staffy that will adore a rabbit (he loves my friends rabbit - the rabbit is definitely the boss), and a collieX that won't go anywhere near it. I'm not worried about either dog, but will introduce slowly and carefully.
Also have chickens - and this is my concern. I'd like the rabbits to share the garden with my chickens but am not sure if there are any reasons why I shouldn't mix them.
Any advise would be gratefully received. I'd hate to cause problems.
Thank you,
Suzi

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave:

We have rabbits and chickens. Both are kept in their separate accommodation, but the chickens free range quite a lot. We've found that the chickens very often go up to the rabbits' enclosure and look at them, but there has never been any aggression from the chickens towards the rabbits. The rabbits just tend to ignore this behaviour from the chickens and don't take any interest in them.

I presume you aren't considering housing the two animals together. If they were both free ranging in your garden, from what I have experienced with mine, I do not think there would be any interaction between them.

Hi Suzi, and welcome to the forum :wave: With my limited knowledge/experience of keeping chickens (and it is really limited to Silkie Bantams) there really is no problem free ranging both in a large place. This does of course depend on the individuals - but I think in most cases, it's safe to say there shouldn't be an issue. As Omi says they would need their own separate accommodation though.

I'm sure you probably already know having had 2 rescue buns, but you are much better off with 2 buns, for company for each other. Rescues are fabulous - they usually have bonded pairs all ready to go (neutered and vaccinated) for you.

Good luck on your rabbity adventure :wave:

Hello there and welcome. I have never kept chickens but going off what I have read, the one main worry is Red Mites which don't worry the chickens so much but the rabbits become quite ill if they get them. I think it is due to the fact that a rabbit's skin is very sensitive. I would imagine also you have to be really safety conscious as regards any foxes which may be lurking hoping for a chicken dinner. So if you casn keep foxes and rats at bay, keep a look out for Red Mites, then they should be able to cohabit well together. Another point I've just thought of, rabbits and chickens eat different foods.

Hi Suzi, and welcome to the forum :wave: With my limited knowledge/experience of keeping chickens (and it is really limited to Silkie Bantams) there really is no problem free ranging both in a large place. This does of course depend on the individuals - but I think in most cases, it's safe to say there shouldn't be an issue. As Omi says they would need their own separate accommodation though.

I'm sure you probably already know having had 2 rescue buns, but you are much better off with 2 buns, for company for each other. Rescues are fabulous - they usually have bonded pairs all ready to go (neutered and vaccinated) for you.

Good luck on your rabbity adventure :wave:

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave:

We have rabbits and chickens. Both are kept in their separate accommodation, but the chickens free range quite a lot. We've found that the chickens very often go up to the rabbits' enclosure and look at them, but there has never been any aggression from the chickens towards the rabbits. The rabbits just tend to ignore this behaviour from the chickens and don't take any interest in them.

I presume you aren't considering housing the two animals together. If they were both free ranging in your garden, from what I have experienced with mine, I do not think there would be any interaction between them.
[emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hello I would keep them separately. I have Warrens and I have bought them into the house and the chickens are a bit bossy to the buns. I think they could catch red mite so also would keep them away from each other at night
e82657b17b8632e09ac7ff4cbe4c4792.jpg

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Back