• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny has a death wish lately! And I have a poo question...

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
For the last 2 weeks, our rabbit has been on constant litter tray watch!

These are the things she's eaten in the last fortnight:
Spare room carpet
A dried corn on the cob - 80% of it!
Duct tape
The other 20% of the corn on the cob
A wedding invitation
several leaves of aloe Vera.

She ate the Aloe Vera overnight, and I just spotted the damage now. Aloe Vera is poisonous to rabbits, so very worried for her. The vet said she sounds like she'll be ok, but she is a lucky bunny!

Edit today:
She's been absolutely fine overnight, but her poos are a bit wetter and more crumbly than usual today. Is this the first signs of something more serious?

Last edited:
Don't they always have a death wish? :lol:

But, in seriousness, I'm glad vet thinks she'll be okay after munching Aloe Vera. It's a good job you are so vigilant!

Autumn has a thing for the scented lavender bag in the waste bin in the living room :roll: And mooching around my feet at dinner time to see if I've dropped anything (clearly I'm a messy eater because she's got the habit from somewhere!) - then goes to the OH's feet to mooch after him too. I'm afraid to say she has also had some pop corn (sweet). Nothing is safe. My OH managed to save a fiver, the other week - mid munch.

Hopefully she continues to feel ok after the aloe! x

We just seem to be constantly saying to ourselves we need to be more vigilant! But it doesn't make much difference, they're constantly finding a new way to kill themselves... It'd be funny if it wasn't so stressful, wouldn't it?

It would! I'm constantly on high alert at what she's up to, and what she's after when she's sneaking! We def couldn't leave unsupervised and have to be constantly aware. The price you pay for bunnies!

I don't think you could be any more vigilant - as you say they will constantly find any way. Plus, they know the moment anything new happens I've found, no matter how little. If you left money on a sofa for example as it dropped out of your pockets. They're more aware than us it seems.

My bunnies are weird, they don't eat cables, carpet or human food (except on bunny approved safe lists - fruit & salad stuff)

My bunnies are weird, they don't eat cables, carpet or human food (except on bunny approved safe lists - fruit & salad stuff)

Mine were good - no cables, no carpets, no skirting boards, just the odd pair of knickers would form a hole on the drying rack! In the last 2 weeks though... I don't know what has gotten into them! My laptop charger had a near miss, and she's eaten all sorts!

This Might sound silly but when Bailey had Mites, we didn't realise at first but he became so destructive which was defo out of character, chewed our bed which he never did before, chewed the TV cable and had 2 chargers in the space of 2 days. I took him to the vets who confirmed he had them. He wasn't even itching that much but was grooming, so in hinde sight should have realised but after that he was fine again and hasn't touched them since. So I don't know if maybe she might have been in a little pain or something and it's her way of dealing with it?

If not, maybe just a very cheeky bun.. :love:

That's interesting. They are due to be vaccinated in the next week, so the vet will give her a good checkup then. I'd take them along today, but I think a vaccine might overwhelm the kidneys so soon after plant-alert!

My new bun Millie eats anything - she will lick chocolate wrappers or crisp packets if they are left lying around, has ran off with a chewy sweet my son dropped (was like a scene from Benny hill with me and my son chasing after her to retrieve the sweet!) and always hops up on the sofa if she sees us eating something. I'm having to retrain the kids to put wrappers in the kitchen bin immediately, which I suppose is a good thing :lol:

Hope she's ok and has no ill effects from the aloe vera x

Rather than start a new thread with poo questions, I've edited my first post. We were told to give her lots of wet veg last night, so this is probably why her poos feel wetter. They are crumbling apart quite easily (they fell apart while sweeping up, I wasn't breaking them up with fingers).

They look golden throughout though, a good bunny colour! But i do worry it's the start of something...

Last edited:
I would think with her having eaten the aloe vera (and lots of wet veg!) what goes in must come out, and you're likely seeing the results of both! I would keep a close eye on her - if concerned maybe give the vet a wee call? x

Back