• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits go grey in old age?

KatyS

Warren Scout
When I was grooming Peter this morning I noticed he now has a little white streak right on his nose. He also has lots of grey/white fluff in amongst his black fur.

I was just wondering if it's common for black rabbits to go grey, and if anyone could guess what sort of age that would be at? We got them as rescues and they were found abandoned so, other than the fact they were fully grown when they were found, we have no idea how old they are. Just curious to know if we could use his white fur to have a guess!

My black bunnies got grey hairs - its going back a while but they weren't any older (in rabbit years) than me when I got grey hairs, maybe 4 years. My black cat did too.

Peter is very majestic & beautiful looking

When I was grooming Peter this morning I noticed he now has a little white streak right on his nose. He also has lots of grey/white fluff in amongst his black fur.

I was just wondering if it's common for black rabbits to go grey, and if anyone could guess what sort of age that would be at? We got them as rescues and they were found abandoned so, other than the fact they were fully grown when they were found, we have no idea how old they are. Just curious to know if we could use his white fur to have a guess!

Yes I've had a few silver foxes in my time :lol:

As for age - I find it dependant largely on their state of health. So I've known a little black nethie to begin going grey about 5/6 years old.

How old does the vet estimate Peter? :wave: (He looks incredibly dignified, btw :D)

Thanks both of you. I guess I'm relieved to know that it doesn't necessarily mean he's 'old' old!

The rescue centre put them down as being 4 (last year, when we first got them) and the vet said she would stick with that as their official date of birth. Neither of them have any health problems or particular signs of old age. Mostly I don't think about it but I was just curious about the going grey thing.

He does look dignified in this photo, believe me it's a change from usual! I was just trying to post a picture of the flop he's doing right now :D but photobucket isn't cooperating at the moment.

ETA here it is :D Flopping and showing off the mess they'd made earlier!

Last edited:
Thanks both of you. I guess I'm relieved to know that it doesn't necessarily mean he's 'old' old!

The rescue centre put them down as being 4 (last year, when we first got them) and the vet said she would stick with that as their official date of birth. Neither of them have any health problems or particular signs of old age. Mostly I don't think about it but I was just curious about the going grey thing.

He does look dignified in this photo, believe me it's a change from usual! I was just trying to post a picture of the flop he's doing right now :D but photobucket isn't cooperating at the moment.

ETA here it is :D Flopping and showing off the mess they'd made earlier!

:lol::lol:

They look absolutely exquisite together :love:

My Bridge Bun Dylan went grey for a few years before I had to have him PTS. He was a rescue so I don't know exactly how old he was but I think he reached a good age and was grey for a long time. He looked very distinguished :love:

Beautiful little lionheads!

My harlequin apricot and chocolate lion didn't go grey but his colours faded a lot after the age of about 8.

Back