• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I have some vibes for Snoopy please

Hi all

I had to take Snoopy to the emergency vet this evening. I gave him his dinner shortly before 7 and he just turned his nose up - very unusual for him! I gave him about half an hour and tried to tempt him with other things. Wasn't even interested in his fenugreek crunchie. So I took him down to the vet and he was given a good going over. The cause of the loss of appetite is a bit of a mystery. The vet checked his stomach and it wasn't hard, bloated or doughy. In fact his stomach noises were normal. Teeth were checked and they were fine. No obvious signs of abscesses or unusual lumps. He's quite bright in himself.

Anyway, the vet has given me some metacam and cisipride (sp?) to help his stomach plus some recovery food just in case. When we got home he went straight into my bedroom, which is not unusual for him after a vet visit. I've mainly left him alone with some food, water and a litter tray. I'm pleased to say he's polished off a bowl of herbs and when I last checked on him he was eating some readigrass. I'm hoping he'll stay in the bedroom tonight as it'll be easier to monitor his output.

I'm really hoping there is nothing sinister going on. I've been told to give the meds for 3-5 days and if there isn't much improvement or he relapses after the course has finished then I'll need to take him back in for further tests.

Any spare vibes would be very much appreciated. Thanks xxx

ETA: I was working from home today and he was eating hay during the day so this seems to have come on quite suddenly. Also his weight has stayed exactly the same, which is good!

Last edited:
Hi all

I had to take Snoopy to the emergency vet this evening. I gave him his dinner shortly before 7 and he just turned his nose up - very unusual for him! I gave him about half an hour and tried to tempt him with other things. Wasn't even interested in his fenugreek crunchie. So I took him down to the vet and he was given a good going over. The cause of the loss of appetite is a bit of a mystery. The vet checked his stomach and it wasn't hard, bloated or doughy. In fact his stomach noises were normal. Teeth were checked and they were fine. No obvious signs of abscesses or unusual lumps. He's quite bright in himself.

Anyway, the vet has given me some metacam and cisipride (sp?) to help his stomach plus some recovery food just in case. When we got home he went straight into my bedroom, which is not unusual for him after a vet visit. I've mainly left him alone with some food, water and a litter tray. I'm pleased to say he's polished off a bowl of herbs and when I last checked on him he was eating some readigrass. I'm hoping he'll stay in the bedroom tonight as it'll be easier to monitor his output.

I'm really hoping there is nothing sinister going on. I've been told to give the meds for 3-5 days and if there isn't much improvement or he relapses after the course has finished then I'll need to take him back in for further tests.

Any spare vibes would be very much appreciated. Thanks xxx

ETA: I was working from home today and he was eating hay during the day so this seems to have come on quite suddenly. Also his weight has stayed exactly the same, which is good!

Oh Scrappy, what a worry!

Sending loads and loads of get better vibes for young Snoops xx Thinking of you both xx

Poor Snoops. Is he drinking enough ? I would try to encourage him to take fluids on board to make sure that his gut contents are well hydrated.

Hopefully he is feeling a lot better by now ?

Thanks very much everyone. I've just given him his first dose of cisipride and I'm pleased to say he seems to be doing a lot better this morning. There are poos in his litter tray, he's just eaten a fibre first stick and is tucking into his hay as I type!

Thanks very much everyone. I've just given him his first dose of cisipride and I'm pleased to say he seems to be doing a lot better this morning. There are poos in his litter tray, he's just eaten a fibre first stick and is tucking into his hay as I type!

Great news !! A transient bit of tummy ache yesterday maybe ? Perhaps a bit of gas that resolved when the Vet palpated his abdomen. Hopefully Snoopy will be fine now xx

Great news Scrappy :D

Good luck for the rest of the day xx

Thanks again everyone :love:

Good news is that Snoopy still seems to be doing well. He polished off his breakfast with his usual speed and has been munching away at his hay and readigrass. Lots more poos as well and they don't look any smaller than usual :thumb: Hopefully it was just something like a little bit of gas or a tummy ache that has now gone. I'll carry on with the meds though over the next couple of days.

Sorry I've only just seen this, poor snoopy boy.. But so pleased he's improved and eaten his breakfast!

Sending lots of continued vibes & hope he's feeling better soon! Xxx

Only just read this myself Scrappy, pleaded to hear that Snoopy seems lots better, hope the eating and pooing continue :D they love to worry us don't they ? :roll:

Thanks again everyone :love:

Good news is that Snoopy still seems to be doing well. He polished off his breakfast with his usual speed and has been munching away at his hay and readigrass. Lots more poos as well and they don't look any smaller than usual :thumb: Hopefully it was just something like a little bit of gas or a tummy ache that has now gone. I'll carry on with the meds though over the next couple of days.

Great news! Thanks to your fast acting, and a good OOH vet :thumb:

Just catching up with this, Scappy. Good to hear Snoopy is improving. Vibes coming he'll be fully recovered soon. xxxxx

Back