• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice on facial abscess, please!

:wave:

Hi,

I've been reading all I can since my 10-ish year old bunny was diagnosed with a cheek abscess. She is scheduled for an op to drain it, dress with Manuka honey, and a dental Thursday 29/06/16.
She's a rescue and so we are not sure of her exact age, but we and the vet. think she's at the 10 y/old age. A lot older than we initially thought. She does have dental issues and this will be her third filing.
Currently, she eats, moves around like normal. Both my bunnies are free range. The vet. due to do the procedure will only be back on Monday, as wanted to find out what antibiotics theyuse, as read Baytril's pretty ineffective.

Spoke to receptionist, and asked about penicillin as all my research points to their great success rate. They do not stock Penicillin for rabbits. Phoned another branch to speak to a senior vet. Left a message, never returned my call, so phoned my practice again. Was told they only use Baytril for rabbit abscesses. My vet. will be there on Monday and he will phone me back, as receptionist/nurse says he may use another antibiotic. I hope so.

The lump has not grown since her diagnoses. Both my bunnies are on a spoonful of probiotics - twice daily
, and 2 tablets of Senior immune support - each. She gets fresh herbs, soaked Burgess pellets and lots of oat hay. Could someone please tell me if this is adequate, or more needs to be done. Is it very risky, GA at her age? She is very healthy, weight is good. Any advice Please? Thanks!

Last edited:
:wave:

Hi,

I've been reading all I can since my 10-ish year old bunny was diagnosed with a cheek abscess. She is scheduled for an op to drain it, dress with Manuka honey, and a dental Thursday 29/06/16.
She's a rescue and so we are not sure of her exact age, but we and the vet. think she's at the 10 y/old age. A lot older than we initially thought. She does have dental issues and this will be her third filing.
Currently, she eats, moves around like normal. Both my bunnies are free range. The vet. due to do the procedure will only be back on Monday, as wanted to find out what antibiotics theyuse, as read Baytril's pretty ineffective.

Spoke to receptionist, and asked about penicillin as all my research points to their great success rate. They do not stock Penicillin for rabbits. Phoned another branch to speak to a senior vet. Left a message, never returned my call, so phoned my practice again. Was told they only use Baytril for rabbit abscesses. My vet. will be there on Monday and he will phone me back, as receptionist/nurse says he may use another antibiotic. I hope so.

The lump has not grown since her diagnoses. Both my bunnies are on a spoonful of probiotics - twice daily
, and 2 tablets of Senior immune support - each. She gets fresh herbs, soaked Burgess pellets and lots of oat hay. Could someone please tell me if this is adequate, or more needs to be done. Is it very risky, GA at her age? She is very healthy, weight is good. Any advice Please? Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I sympathise with you. When my rabbit had an abscess, I rang my vet and asked whether they treated rabbit abscesses with penicillin injections. I was told that it would kill my rabbit and that they would only prescribe Baytril :roll: I have treated enough rabbit abscesses over 20+ years to know - like you - that it wouldn't work. I had hoped this vet would've been a bit more enlightened :D

I immediately found another vet, had the abscess lanced and drained, and started him on daily injections. He did incredibly well.

With your older bunny, surgical excision of the abscess probably would be possible, but I have had just as good results with lancing and draining. This would require a much lighter and less risky sedation. I think your idea of doing the same is probably what I would opt for in your situation.

Good luck xx

Hi, thanks for replying!

That's great, I actually thought the entire lot was to be removed. I am a Paraplegic, so moving to another vet. is so difficult - actually did leave as unhappy with previous vets. This vet. is so much better! For her aftercare, I realise I will have difficulties. My bunnies wear a loose-fitting harness, but not too loose. Nothing they can snag on, had harness on for almost 4 yrs now. No problems, suggested by this vet. so much easier to groom/ handle etc.

So put a pen up for her, isolate from other love-bunny. Fashioned a grabber, so will be easy to snag harness without causing harm or much distress. That procedure needs fantastic home-care and without a doubt, brilliant antibiotic. Thanks by the way, as that's a far better and more sensible suggestion! Do you know of a great antibiotic which worked for you?

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I sympathise with you. When my rabbit had an abscess, I rang my vet and asked whether they treated rabbit abscesses with penicillin injections. I was told that it would kill my rabbit and that they would only prescribe Baytril :roll: I have treated enough rabbit abscesses over 20+ years to know - like you - that it wouldn't work. I had hoped this vet would've been a bit more enlightened :D

I immediately found another vet, had the abscess lanced and drained, and started him on daily injections. He did incredibly well.

With your older bunny, surgical excision of the abscess probably would be possible, but I have had just as good results with lancing and draining. This would require a much lighter and less risky sedation. I think your idea of doing the same is probably what I would opt for in your situation.

Good luck xx

Thinking about it, I Let's hope he prescribes great antibiotics. :)
think that's what the vet. said all along. Just never realised it, thought the whole capsule had to be removed - if possible. I mentioned lance, wasn't thinking, duh! Sorry!

Hi, thanks for replying!

That's great, I actually thought the entire lot was to be removed. I am a Paraplegic, so moving to another vet. is so difficult - actually did leave as unhappy with previous vets. This vet. is so much better! For her aftercare, I realise I will have difficulties. My bunnies wear a loose-fitting harness, but not too loose. Nothing they can snag on, had harness on for almost 4 yrs now. No problems, suggested by this vet. so much easier to groom/ handle etc.

So put a pen up for her, isolate from other love-bunny. Fashioned a grabber, so will be easy to snag harness without causing harm or much distress. That procedure needs fantastic home-care and without a doubt, brilliant antibiotic. Thanks by the way, as that's a far better and more sensible suggestion! Do you know of a great antibiotic which worked for you?

A penicillin such as Duplocillin, or Duphapen Forte :D

It sounds like you're very determined to help your lovely rabbit, which is brilliant. As you know, the aftercare is all important, and you seem to be sorting out how that will work :D

I'm sure you know she doesn't need permanently isolating from her love-bunny?

Yes, did mention Duplocillin, as someone mentioned it and I researched it. Very good stuff, hopefully my vet. has some or can get some
I will never separate them permanently. They adore each other :) but for the treatment, is it best to isolate her from him (duration of recovery)?

.r

Yes, did mention Duplocillin, as someone mentioned it and I researched it. Very good stuff, hopefully my vet. has some or can get some
I will never separate them permanently. They adore each other :) but for the treatment, is it best to isolate her from him (duration of recovery)?

.r

I never have separated. Why would you? She needs all the support she can get :D

Yes, I agree - wasn't happy to separate so will put both in the largish pen (play pen), else I will never be able to catch and treat her. Thought that's advised because the other bunny might chew the bandage etc. But suppose - even with the Manuka honey, will it tempt fate? Different when you speak to someone who has dealt with it a few times! Great! I'll keep an eye on her, I prefer them together because it will help with her healing, I'm sure!

I never have separated. Why would you? She needs all the support she can get :D

Last edited:
Yes, I agree - wasn't happy to separate so will put both in the largish, else I will never be able to catch and treat her. Thought that's said because the other bunny might chew the bandage etc. But suppose - even with the Manuka honey, will it tempt fate? Different when you speak to someone who has dealt with it a few times! Great! I'll keep an eye on her, I prefer them together because it will help with her healing, I'm sure!

She has a bandage on her face?

no, no bandage just thinking when it's lanced, dressed wound. What if he manages to lick some of the pus, hopefully there's none, will it be bad for him?

no, no bandage just thinking when it's lanced, dressed wound. What if he manages to lick some of the pus, hopefully there's none, will it be bad for him?

No, there will be no dressing that can be chewed :wave:

It doesn't matter if he licks the pus - or the honey. Don't worry about any of that, and don't let it put you off your cleaning regime, or keeping them together :D

no, no bandage, incorrect word - meant dressing. If he somehow, manages to lick a bit of pus(hopefully there's none( - will it cause harm, heard that's not good, but would rather take notice of someone who's been there!

He will be fine :D

Twice daily you'll be cleaning the wound out so it's highly unlikely he would ever get to the pus anyway. He's more likely to lap up the honey :D

My experience with facial abscesses was a few years ago now, but I would leave bonded bunnies together if at all possible. They will support each other. The poorly one will benefit from the company, warmth and grooming from the partner. You will need to make sure that the poorly one is eating / weeing / pooing OK, which can be more difficult to monitor if they are together - but the benefits of keeping them together outweigh the downsides usually.

Twice daily cleaning of the wound is fairly standard - wipe out with a swab and/or rinse with eg hibiscrub solution (use a 1ml syringe) and pack with manuka honey using a 1ml syringe. Slightly warm honey is easier to handle. I kept a small quantity (10ml) of honey in a small container (eg urine sample tube) which could be put in a cup of warm water to heat it gently and make it runnier.

The wound will also start to close up after a few days but should be kept open as long as possible to allow healing from the inside.

Penicillin based treatment will need to be injected into the scruff, then make sure the injection site is clear of the drug as it must not be ingested.

Your vet nurses should show you (or someone else) how to do all this. Do you have someone who can do this for you?

Hi, Yes, I won't separate them! I do not have anyone to help me, but sure the vet. or nurse will show me. Assisted t an Equine vet. for a while, many years ago and I treated many abscesses, but I do know a bunny is different ;). I remember having to inject penicillin quite often, but intramuscular so care with it as could cause problems if not injected properly. I gather this is subcutaneous. I'm speaking to my vet on Monday to find out if he can get Penicillin - as heard the use Baytril and that's no good at all! Perhaps he knows and treats with Pen. Will hear, hopefully he does! :)

Last edited:
I would prefer paying for a nurse to come out, for a few days - which I'll happily pay for, as honestly, I may have a few problems/difficulties, as not done this for years and not confident enough and know how critical home-care is! If they don't do that, they don't and hope it's as easy as in my mind! ;) Probably not.... :)

Hi, Yes, I won't separate them! I do not have anyone to help me, but sure the vet. or nurse will show me. Assistant an Equine vet. for a while, many years ago and I treated many abscesses, but I do know a bunny is different ;). I remember having to inject penicillin quite often, but intramuscular so care with it as could cause problems if not injected properly. I gather this is subcutaneous. I'm speaking to my vet on Monday to find out if he can get Penicillin - as heard the use Baytril and that's no good at all! Perhaps he knows and treats with Pen. Will hear, hopefully he does! :)

If you can do (or did) intramuscular injections, then I think everything else will be a doddle for you! :D

Good luck with finding a willing vet.
I had to desert my usual vet and find another for the duration of the abscess - it was very successful :D

Back